Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

The only service I know that has countermeasures against review bombing is Steam, but even that's to prevent fake games with false numbers.

I'm guessing it's really hard to figure out how to actually implement those measures. How can you reliably tell a deliberate review bomb apart from something that legitimately nobody likes, like Holmes and Watson?

Could do it something like noting that a bunch of reviews more than x standard deviations from the previous (or later) average all dumped in at the same time, and then just eliminating all reviews from that period from the calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For next season I DEMAND at least FOUR straight historicals and SEVEN episodes MUST contain QUARRY SCENES

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This might retread something that was posted earlier, but the methods of social control are different for the cybermen and the daleks. The cybermen impose uniformity through technological means primarily - a person's emotions and identity are removed via programming and circuitry.

Daleks have all of their emotions, and perhaps too much emotion, and that becomes the mechanism of social control and producing uniformity. A key piece of Dalek doctrine is purity, and such a fear of being identified as impure (of exposing one's self as dissenting) can function as a control mechanism. All of those technical doodads that we see are just a mechanism for narrowing the individual Dalek's experience to reinforce the overall uniformity of the Dalek race. Clara experiences censorship - her dissent from Dalek purity and doctrine gets rewritten to become orthodoxy as she tries to express it, so that no idea of individuality within Dalek hegemony can spread.

Goddamn I should write a "Revolution of the Daleks" story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Revolution of the Daleks will have to begin with a Dalek inventing some kind of Dalek art or poetry.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Like maybe there could be a couple Daleks working out in some snow or something and one of them notes that its movement leaves marks in the snow and then it moves around to create a pattern and shouts some typical Dalek line like ALL NON DALEK LIFE MUST BE EXTERMINATED and then the other Dalek turns around and looks at the marks and shouts AFFIRMATIVE and then erases the pattern with its own movement and they go back to doing what they were doing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

"I CALL IT.... THE SUPERIOR BEING!"
"THIS IS A REFLECTIVE SURFACE."
"...."
"THIS IS ACCEPTABLE!"

It's literally the first ever positive review in The Dalek Gazette.

Then there could be a scene in which a Dalek artist gets met with WHAT IS THIS? THIS IS UN-ACCEPTABLE I MUST INFORM THE and the Dalek artist just blows up the Dalek that is about to narc him out.

I can imagine this story with 10 in it, looking at the Dalek art and puzzling at its meaning. I can see him squatting and putting on his glasses.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cybermen make decent cameo fodder, too, because of their generic killbot status. E.g.the various Moffat eps where "All" of the baddies show up together and a few cybermen get blown up because why not.

In other words, they're the ninjas of doctor who.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched I AM THE MASTER and that is still so loving good. That specific scene, from the watch to the end, is probably the best thing from the RTD era, and they set it up so well throughout the season.

There aren't really any moves the writers could pull like that at this point, are there?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how he opens the watch and wastes exactly zero seconds before starting to commit evil deeds. It's just ... like clockwork! :haw:

If Chibnal wanted to hit a :tviv: moment, the return of Captain Jack might be a good target, especially if they can keep it unspoiled - like the gang on the TARDIS is investigating a concrete column and one of them realizes that there's something biological buried inside of it so they split it open and ... !

I guess Captain Jack doesn't really fit into the new show's dynamic though, does it. The "Grandad" scene in the forest I think best encapsulates what we've had of Chibnall so far, and an immortal oversexed swashbuckling adventurer doesn't really integrate into that so well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

3 was a political prisoner who consistently denounced the military as an institution.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

i got a compendium of short stories about missy on a whim and have found it an enjoyable read. she kills a boris johnson stand-in.

its sometimes a little too twee but its fun and also i think strikes a good balance of her being bad but also the protagonist

Holy poo poo this would actually be a great direction for the next iteration of the Master - 12's lessons actually got through, and the Master has given up on the megalomania and tyranny and destruction for its own sake, having come to see the beauty of life, all the while remaining the same homicidal maniac. So the Master's new jam is making sure that the little people are safe and protected, but they achieve it through murder, vigilantism, iconoclasm, sparking hyper-violent revolution etc etc - achieving noble ends through often atrocious means.

Such a Master would have some great conflict with 13 too. I can imagine that their first meeting would have 13 + co infiltrating some gigantic bloody operation responsible for tens of thousands of deaths all the way to the top, only to discover that the Master is in charge, but instead of shooting a disruptor at the Doctor, the Master gives her a gigantic hug - "I'm so glad you're here!"

Let the casting begin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It could also be fun to have a past companion actor take the role of the Master. Right now I'm imagining Catherine Tate laughing manically in a goatee.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

Oh man, she'd be great as the Master, actually. Her kind of unapologetically loud, manic humor matches so well, and all you have to change is the dialogue to tilt it over to horrible and menacing.

But she needs a goatee.

In hindsight one of my favourite details about WEAT/The Doctor Falls is that they put Simms into the classic goatee.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Frazer Hines's wikipedia entry says he is in 117, which seems like a plausible typo/transposition for 177, whichever is actually correct.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok when you guys get going about various who-related people and who-related projects of varrying degrees of obscurity I often tune out... but this one is weird enough to get my attention - can someone fill in a few of the details of who these people are and what they're doing?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ah I see so this is like that guy from Elizabethan/Jacobean theatre who would just lift his plots and characters from other plays and books, repackage them, and stage them as all original works. What was his name again?

Oh yeah William Shakespeare :smugdog:

Anyway that's weird as gently caress. They must have been profitable while the proper series was off the air but I can't imagine that they could be now. I suppose "film" is cheaper now than it was then, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think my favourite thing about this thread is how eager people get to answer my questions and share their obscure knowledge of this show and its related properties.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Robert J. Omb posted:

What I really want to know is if they can license Brigadier Bambera. It’s a tragedy she’s not been featured in the revival. Well, perhaps tragedy’s too strong a term but it’s still a... now, what’s the word..?

I'll write her into my story about Daleks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

Why are you automatically seeing misogyny here when he didn't even say why he found her insufferable?

I didn't like her in the beginning not because she was a "strong female" but because at first her whole characterizaton was a Mystery Box Impossible Girl who was like the Serpentor of Companions--distilled to be the Perfect Doctor Who Companion who literally saved every Doctor 1000 times.

Once they dropped that she was much better and I ended up liking her. She also performed a great Sarah Jane role of being a fairly long term companion across two regenerations.

I wonder if she would have been stronger if those two functions - The Impossible Girl and long-term companion - had been separated into different actors. I really enjoyed the weirdness of the TIG mystery as it unfolded (the Doctor keeps encountering the same person in multiple contexts but she never remembers him) but I don't think it was a great way to start off a long-term companion.

Mind you, when they did developed her from one to the other they had no way of knowing that she was going to be a three-season companion...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A 9 + 13 multidoc story would be brilliant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

marktheando posted:

Day the Doctor is so great. I got it on 3D blu ray recently since I got a PSVR, 3D feels very appropriate for the big epic anniversary.

About the most recent stuff, I really like it when Whitaker gets all science teacher and explains the sci-fi tech of the week, even if the writing isn't quite there most of the time. It's like a sort of return to the early days of the show when it was allegedly educational.

Also there are too many companions but I don't really want to cut any of the ones we have.

Wasn't the "allegedly educational" bit supposed to be the pseudohistory, not the pseudoscience?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also all this talk about the 50th made me watch "all THIRTEEN!" again and I love it every time that Hartnell's voice comes on and the whole gang shows up. Every single time.

ALSO I took a trip to the UK over the last few weeks. While I was in Edinburgh I saw a sign that said "1992 TARDIS ->" and I couldn't figure out what it was about, and I even asked a local girl I met who was wearing a Doctor Who shirt and she didn't know, so I assumed it was nothing...

But do you guys know about it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

marktheando posted:

Both. Barbara was the history teacher, Ian was the science teacher.

But the success of the Daleks made them quickly move away from trying much to be educational.

As someone who lives in Edinburgh, I have no idea.

It was near Waverley station on the bridge that goes above the park,

Like here, with the arrow pointing roughly this direction.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've done an 11 costume for Halloween at work a few times, but I was able to put it together out of my existing wardrobe and my hair is usually the right length, if the wrong colour.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Much appreciation for how much of Ace's recollection of her experiences with The Doctor comes from Battlefield, a story I unironically love despite its flaws.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

Don't you just mean "to me?"

My hands down favorite Brigadier moment is in this episode.

"Get off my world."

Great moment, but its peak is "Probably." Followed by "Look! Is that a spaceship?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that is a relief that there will be regular "normal" releases of those collections.

Yeah, Battlefield isn't the best but what it tries to do I really dig and it has some great moments in it. I also love the fact that the Doctor figures out that the baddie has it out for him over something some future regeneration did and just rolls with it and still ends up clowning on them (kinda like what Troughton now is retconned into having done to The Great Intelligence when it came after him for revenge on 11).

I think it's how ambitious the episode is that endears it to me. I love episodes that try to do something cool even if it ends up being a glorious mess. That ambition goes a long way with me.

Plus there are 2 or 3 hooks in the story that point to other good stories. As you said, the other half of the Doctor vs Morgaine story gets my imagination going, and that dimension of Battlefield makes great use of time travel as a storytelling device rather than as a special effects platform. I'd also like another story with Bambera. I thought she was a really interesting character with plenty of potential.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Your excitement is contagious. I'm more than ready for more 13 content.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

York_M_Chan posted:

I also did a rewatch. Episode 5-9 hold up so much better than I remember. The bookends of the season, however, not so much. Which might be why I had a lower opinion of the season when I first watched it. Also, other than "The Tsuranga Conundrum", they were not written by Chibnall. "It Takes You Away" is honestly one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes ever.

Imo just on reflection - without rewatching - the high points of that series are "It Takes You Away" and "Demons of the Punjab", and those are pretty darn good by any metric.

Not too many series have more than 2 notably good stories, and not many have fewer than 2 garbage ones, so overall that makes it decent series.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I decided to rewatch both of them tonight.

"It takes you away" is excellent on a rewatch. The characters are well developed and the plot is interesting even on a second viewing. Ryan's and Graham's characterization is strong, and Grace is great. The downside is that these character details depend on the rest of the series, so it doesn't stand alone quite so well.

"Demons of the Punjab" is a really solid historical and it does a good job of mapping out its layers. The Thajarian demons witness lost and forgotten deaths, but that whole idea of the forgotten dead seems to resonate with the way that the victims of colonialism often get forgotten. In that respect the episode plays the educational role that historicals should, too. The characterization unfolds from inside of this plot wonderfully, without clumsy exposition. Still excellent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh and the poppies in the field for the final showdown :discourse:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A big FUCCCCK YOU to that vid

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

to that one too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spoiler: I'm the guest star

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

poo poo I guessed wrong. Sorry folks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think they downplayed Yaz because the best episode of the series was about her and they wanted to give the other actors, who are very fine and nice people, a chance too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll be honest.

That post was actually about The Demons of the Punjab, not about Yaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Battlefield is good k