Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Harlock posted:

Recently re-watched Heaven Sent/Hell Bent and still shocked people liked it. I feel it was peak Doctor Who head-up-its-own rear end. This is more so the actual finale of Hell Bent. The whole hybrid plot was a massive mistake/waste of time.

I keep a 1080p version of Heaven Sent on my hard drive for rewatching at a moment's notice

I do not have a copy of Hell Bent next to it.

Trying to combine the two into one episode is both wrong and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jerusalem posted:

My parents use truemotion and it loving kills me. They don't see any issue with it at all so when I stay I have to just suck it up and watch good quality movies and television that looks like a soap opera.

Holy poo poo that looks incredible.

Secretly change the settings while they're asleep, and never tell them you did it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

2house2fly posted:

Lol Russell's "gay agenda" consisted entirely of occasionally having a character say "I'm gay btw" of course that terrified those freaks

This is why I honestly don't have much of a problem with minor gay characters getting killed in modern DW the way I do in other forms of fiction.

They're literally the same as everybody else in the DW universe, there's genuinely no great weight attached to their being gay any more than there would be to another minor character being straight, so they aren't being killed because they're gay, they're being killed because they're a minor character in a Doctor Who episode.

It's genuinely progressive in a weird way.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Voting Floater posted:

Even at that basic level, it's bizarre and depressing that so many people think the sky is falling because that description got changed from "clever man" to "clever woman".

Doctor Who is quite possibly the best-placed show to gender-swap the lead actor, since the Doctor's gender is irrelevant in 99% of episodes and the show has a simple in-universe mechanism for explaining the change. Plus we had 3 seasons of Lady Master for people to acclimatise to the inevitable change. And yet people still lost their minds about it :sigh:.

The older I get, the more I come to believe that you can't negotiate with misogynists. Maybe they'll change their ways, and great, if they do, maybe not, probably not, but you can't talk them out of it, or bargain them out of it, because it's not a position they entered into rationally in the first place. So you just need to accept that there will be a lot of shitheads out there, and not center your own actions or behavior around trying to appease them. They can :dealwithit:.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Android Blues posted:

My problem with "Yaz is a cop" was that bit in the spiders episode where she gets threatened by a corporate security guy with a gun, which is super illegal in Britain and a major crime for him to even be packing, and doesn't react at all.

Yeah, that, uh...threw me, a bit, too.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Android Blues posted:

It's super bad and then the rapist is a main character that you're meant to root for and emotionally engage with for the rest of the show. Makes it nearly totally unwatchable, as someone who tried a few years ago. I just could not get past the fact that we see this guy in the first episode doing a date rape and then the rest of the episodes treat him as a normal protagonist-y bloke.

When I first watched it as it came out, I could never get that opening character intro out of my mind for the rest of the show. He was always 'the rapist', no matter how heroically he acted or the sacrifices he made or whatnot.

Maybe that's what they intended? ..mmmmmmmaybe? If so, well, mission accomplished, guys, but otherwise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

marktheando posted:

That's why the only Torchwood I've watched in full is Children of Earth, which is very good. I think the rapist is gone by that point?

Oh yeah, he's long gone by that point. Children of Earth is probably the only Torchwood really worth watching. ...I need to watch Children of Earth again...