Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Has the student stage adaptation of Midnight been posted before? It's from a few years back, but I've just come across it after re-watching the episode and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFmpAUzk6J8

There's some understandable slips in the talking-in-sync section and the acting is obviously of a college/university production level, but it's still a pretty impressive thing to pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I didn't know anything about Noor Inayat Khan so have just been reading up on her. Basically, she was a British agent assisting the Resistance in occupied France until she was captured and executed by the Nazis. Also note that Dachau was a concentration camp rather than an extermination camp like Auschwitz-Birkenau. Inayat Khan's death there was a summary execution, not being marched en-masse into a gas chamber.

If the rumour turns out to be true, I expect the episode would be a personal biography of Noor Inayat Khan and/or generally about the Special Operations Executive and the French Resistance instead of being focused on the Holocaust. It's still incredibly risky and I'd rather Doctor Who keep well clear of the subject, but if they do go there I'm cautiously optimistic they can pull it off.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The best comparison I can think of for using the Holocaust in floofy sci-fi is the cold open in the original X-Men movie, where young Magneto rips the gates off Auschwitz. IMO that's possibly the best scene in any superhero movie and did a perfect job of depicting the Holocaust as a narrative element without either making a mockery of it or having it overwhelm the rest of the movie.

And again, if the episode is about Noor Inayat Khan then the story would really just be Holocaust-adjacent. It would most likely just be one scene at the end which would play out exactly like the denoument of Demons of the Punjab. Heck, if anything it might draw criticism for not having enough Holocaust in it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

HelleSpud posted:

1) They've been on a Rani kick and while Gomez!Master was great Moffat really couldn't have found a more Kate O'Mara looking actress if he tried. I'm wondering if there was at some point a plan to go "Surprise! I've been the Rani all along. Because we're totally down with putting a millennia into loving with you, Doctor."

I'm not sure Moffatt ever had a serious plan for Gomez to be anyone other than the Master, but IIRC he has claimed they actually filmed a false version of the Missy reveal scene where she said she was the Rani to try to throw off any leaks.

It always throws me off that there was a character called Rani in the Sarah Jane Adventures. I've only seen bits of the show, did it ever acknowledge the coincidence? Like, in one of the episodes with Ten or Eleven did Sarah Jane go "oh here's my pal Rani" and the Doctor shat a brick?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Cleretic posted:

They kinda did luck out that the scene they showed was totally goof-free, but their acting was intentionally in-keeping with the sixties style, and they did recreate and play straight an old-fashioned and kinda lovely special effect. On one hand that's probably exactly the energy we'd hope for as people who'd like faithful recreations of lost episodes, and it was most likely SUPER cheap to do, but I also feel like that effect might've been what killed the whole 'shot-for-shot recreation' idea, and for good reason, it would've played very weirdly to viewers who don't get the idea. Deliberately lovely or outdated special effects in particular are really hard to sell when you're not treating it as a joke.

I think the version I'd want, and the version that would probably be the most 'right' were they to actually do it, would be to retain the intentional things that don't work well, but not the unintentional ones. A 'best case scenario with what they would've had' situation. Not only would keeping goofs be really hard, but we're also talking about lost episodes. They didn't have the chance to have well-known goofs or bad acting that's important to preserve, because nobody's seen them for decades.

I guess another option would be to shoot it in a similar way to the original production. Instead of slavishly reproducing line flubs that happened in the original, film it essentially quasi-live with a single take per scene and any small flubs that happen get left in. It does all sound like a lot of time, money and effort for something that would only appeal to a small portion of the fanbase though.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Just got up to The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood in a New Who rewatch. I'd have forgiven all its problems if only they'd pulled a Weekend at Bernie's with the dead Silurian.

Jesus, Aliens of London was the first episode of New Who they filmed? How the hell did Eccleston not walk out straight away?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Astroman posted:

"Wear Cuban heels and grow your hair big"

Done and Done!

I only truly loved Capaldi's Doctor in his final season. I want to say that it wasn't entirely down to his glorious barnet, but I can't deny it was a significant factor.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

stratofarius posted:

I loved Series 10, and by the end I was basically begging Capaldi to stay another season, which is probably how I would have felt if I was watching Eccleston's season in real time.

There is only one thing in this cynical world that will make me scream and laugh like a child, and it's if Eccleston pops up on DW again.

Same on both points. I was really happy when Eccleston briefly popped up in the Day of the Doctor even though it was just re-used footage. I was also disappointed that we didn't get to properly see War regenerate into Nine, although I do respect Moffat for not doing that without Eccleston's consent.

I'm not into Big Finish, but I'd be really happy just for Eccleston to do something with them. He has done a couple of little fan things here and there, so it's not completely without hope...

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

stratofarius posted:

I remember watching Season 6 as it aired. What happened to the Silence was like a micro version of what happened to the Daleks over the years- going from spooky and frightening to 'okay. we get it. please stop.'

It was pretty funny that Moff managed to wreck his shiny new villains in their very first story by having the Doctor own them so hard that they couldn't function as a threat any more.

Also, same with the Weeping Angels. Great first appearance, but then every subsequent one was just piling on extra bullshit in lieu of actually finding something new to do with them. The whole "image of an angel becomes an angel" thing in particular annoys me to an irrational degree. They really should have stayed as a one-off villain.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2019

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

stratofarius posted:

I feel like they should just make an audio series where each Doctor crossovers with some other fictional property.

What I'm trying to say is I wanna see one of the Doctors interact with the Muppets.

Something something surprising improvement in effects budget...

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

Have they ever done the idea of a show about the Doctor existing somewhere in universe? Like Stargate did with Wormhole Xtreme?

Moffat had intended to bring the Peter Cushing movies into canon in Day of the Doctor by having the movie posters on the board of info about the Doctor, but they weren't able to get the rights sorted in time. IIRC Moff's idea was that Ian and Barbara had written a book or whatever about their time with the Doctor and their stories were then adapted into those movies.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CobiWann posted:

So driving to church this morning, 1st Wave, the new wave channel on SiriusXM, actually played “Doctorin’ the TARDIS.” The kiddo just looked at the radio with an expression of utter shock and asked me the heck it was.

“The 80’s and a lot of cocaine,” I told her.

Still, we laughed, she hummed along, and I got to introduce her to INXS with the next song.

It's no Jon Pertwee "Who is the Doctor", that's for sure.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Rochallor posted:

It's an utter trainwreck and it's terrible and it's delightful.

That's exactly how I feel about Dimensions in TIme. It's a total carcrash, but one I can't help staring at.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Edward Mass posted:

I don't recall Stephen Moffatt appearing on-screen.

I was going to make a joke about the figure being shorter than a Sontaran, but then I remembered my only height reference for Moffat was once seeing him next to that friendly giant Russell T Davies.

If Moffat is actually on the short side, pretend I said "lol the figure's shorter than a Sontaran so checks out."

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Android Blues posted:

Adventure is her name and her game. And she wants to play it...with me? Good heavens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UohOuNNVSDA

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Cleretic posted:

Hi everyone, I'm working on an extremely bad idea, and could use your help!

I'm working on a music-based project (I'm not comfortable calling it anything more specific than that, because I have no idea what I'm doing), and I've realized there's part of it that could use, specifically, Classic Who music famously connected to the Daleks or Cybermen. I was going to go with their respective Murray Gold themes largely because I'm familiar with them and they're easy for me to find, but I think this project could use a touch of some good classic sci-fi synths and the like if at all possible.

Are there any that jump out to anyone here?

There's also the Dalek "heartbeat" ambient sound if you wanted something lower-key. It shows up in New Who occasionally too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brpy4hp05A

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

My mum's into knitting, so my sister once asked her to knit her a Tom Baker scarf. She's not a huge fan or anything, but is old enough to remember Tom's era and always liked the scarf. My sis underestimated how huge Tom's scarf actually was though and our mum already has a tendency to make things too big, so the result was predictably humongous. My sister ended up splitting it in half and having two perfectly good scarves left over.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Davros1 posted:

My favorite story from "Day of the Doctor" is Moffat telling the story of how John would continually come up to him for reassurance: "So I am officially the Doctor now? I can call myself the Doctor?" and Moffat telling him that yes, he is The Doctor.

I'm picturing that being said in John Hurt's wonderfully craggy voice and it's a beautiful thing.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I watched the Five Doctors a while back and it occurred to me that Moffat's take on One seemed to draw more on Richard Hurndall's version rather than Hartnell. It was Hurndall who told Tegan to go make him tea.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Vinylshadow posted:

Hartnell was so lively and expressive, and none of his doppelgangers have really managed to recapture that aspect, which is a drat shame

I believe Hartnell was known for playing older characters and it was part of why he was cast, but it's notable that both Richard Hurndall and David Bradley were significantly older than Hartnell had actually been when he was playing the Doctor.

Burkion posted:

The fact that the team running the first Doctor's era was possibly some of the most progressive of the *ENTIRE* franchise is one of the biggest reasons I loving hate what Moffat tried to shove down our throats, because if you want sexist, unappealing, lovely Doctor behaviors?

Just look at how he'd write Eleven around Clara before he seemed to wise the gently caress up and cut it out.

Do you mean Twelve and his lines about Clara needing to put make-up on or whatever? Because those jokes really pissed me off. I could dismiss some as being intended as the new doctor being a weird alien who doesn't know how humans work (even though that doesn't make sense), but the "jokes" go on for a whole season and come across more like nasty negging.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Burkion posted:

I honestly forgot that poo poo too.

No I was referring to how often Eleven would sexualize Clara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJG_JXEd39k

Oh poo poo, yeah! I rewatched that episode recently and my automatic reaction was that line was implying the Doctor still had a part of the cyberman "Mr Clever" persona in him. My brain wouldn't accept that it would ever be something the Doctor would just straight-up say.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

A video of that Eccleston panel popped up in my Youtube recommendations yesterday and it's an interesting watch. It overall seemed quite positive, but he can be hilariously intense at times. His response to the typical cute lil kid question begins "my dad was suffering from dementia...".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvjPy6n5hKc

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I really like the version of the intro at the end of that.

I'd also forgotten how much I love Jodie's accent. The way she pronounces "lovely" :3:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Do we have any proper news on Series 12 yet? Not spoilers, but just a firmer idea of when it's airing? The last I'd heard (at the end of S11) was early 2020 which could now theoretically be only a couple of months away.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Dabir posted:

it's me, the cretin who's been watching doctor who for decades and never engaged with it on any level beyond clever man fight the aliens and then a thing blow up

Even at that basic level, it's bizarre and depressing that so many people think the sky is falling because that description got changed from "clever man" to "clever woman".

Doctor Who is quite possibly the best-placed show to gender-swap the lead actor, since the Doctor's gender is irrelevant in 99% of episodes and the show has a simple in-universe mechanism for explaining the change. Plus we had 3 seasons of Lady Master for people to acclimatise to the inevitable change. And yet people still lost their minds about it :sigh:.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The Witchfinders most surprised me on a rewatch, as I'd pretty much forgotten it existed. The last 5-ish minutes were still bad, but only dropped it down to mediocre Who standard and wasn't so jarring when I knew it was coming. The rest was all good and Alan Cumming's scenery chewing was just as delightful second time round. I'd probably rank it 3rd or 4th in the series overall.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've never been bothered by the wizard-y/fairytale tone of the Smith run, to be honest (it's clearly not a Moffat-specific trait, given he didn't bring that to the Tennant or Capaldi stories). I think Moffat eventually ran into big problems with plotting and characterization, but the tone definitely helped distinguish his own particular take on the Doctor.

Eh, there's definitely signs of it in Moffat's RTD era scripts. The Girl in the Fireplace especially, but also the endings to The Doctor Dances and Forest of the Dead. The latter literally ends with River reading a bedtime story. Rewatching them in hindsight, it's easy to see them as indicative of the shape that Moffat's showrunning would take.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Christmas specials are an odd one, since it's basically the only time the rest of my family watch Doctor Who. I tend to judge them based on how embarrassed I am to have to watch it with non-fans. By that metric, Christmas Carol probably gets the best pass. I also enjoyed Doctor Mysterio purely because my nephew was old enough to watch it properly and loves superheroes, so he was really into it.

Last Christmas was pretty good as a concept, but I'd have preferred it as just a regular episode instead of being gummed up with the Christmas theming. I also remember it being way too complicated for how overfed and half-cut I was by that point on Christmas day.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The biggest misstep in Idiot's Lantern was having Maureen Lipman go full ham and bellowing "HUNGRY! FEED ME!" constantly. The idea of an evil sentient TV broadcast is kind of neat and I liked the parts where she was making threats in 50s BBC English.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Oh dang, I'm just getting into Two and was thinking about trying out a recon of Fury From The Deep so that's well-timed. It's meant to be one of Troughton's best, right?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Astroman posted:

I love that there is something culturally or even DNA encoded into all Britons to Fear The Dalek.

New Paradigm Daleks sucked balls obv, but the size of them is good for bearing down on people like that. The more muted colours there are also a lot more tolerable.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Oh goddammit I stopped watching that space, sorry guys.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

That doesn’t work?

Edit: here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjN0LI8NHVE

Amazing that the description gives more info (i.e any) than the actual video.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

To be fair, I could see Corbyn being into Vengeance on Varos.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Grimy cyberman looks p cool IMO.

Kind of annoyed we're still just being given a vague "early 2020", but at least it's not been pushed further back.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The thing that bothers me most about the Capaldi theme is how often the visuals were out of sync with the music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapElueBRcM

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I grinned when Jodie said "that's Ace!" because I am a silly man.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Maybe the Doctor never left that tent, and she's still just back there, performing forever...

"For your own sake, understand this: I am the Doctor, I'm coming to find you and I will never, ever stop" *pulls egg out of mouth*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The TARDIS also just doesn't really fit 13's personality. The console feels basically fine in being a scatty jumble, although I agree about the mini-TARDIS on it being tacky and cheap-looking. The massive dark void feels tonally jarring though and the weird crystal fingers feel too alien for a reasonably grounded Doctor. I'd probably have gone in completely the opposite direction and had something really warm and cozy.

I'm hopeful from the trailers that we're going to see it lit differently in the new series and that might help.