Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Your Tom Baker fan-fiction is always just the best.

Mostly because it's all true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can somebody tell me Davison's hating there being a woman cast as the doctor didn't really happen or was a misunderstanding? Because every other doctor has been so lovely about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Just saw the dumbest thing ever. Someone claiming that the ep "Rosa" was just pushing a "SJW agenda" because people weren't racist back then.
You can't call literally anything racist without a white person showing up to argue that it wasn't.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Tim Shaw thing bugged me and I couldn't put my finger on why, and today it dawned on me that calling somebody by the wrong name is what extremely lovely people do to trans people and maybe teaching children it's okay to do if it's somebody you hate isn't the best.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's like calling Trump fat.

Sure, it's true, but it signals to your fat friends that you'd throw them under the bus.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I am also trans, and it bothered me.

Checkmate!

Seriously, though, it's not that big a deal. It just bothered me a little.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

What about the Doctor stealing Davros' chariot? That's akin to stealing a person's wheelchair and mocking them.
You're joking, probably, but uh... yeah?

I don't know if you know anybody who's wheelchair-bound, but an acquaintance of mine is, and the stories he has about abled people being generally lovely are jaw-dropping.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

No not the Mueller Probe.
It's a Mueller screwdriver.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's the thread title all about?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, nice. Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

One day we will have every Doctor Who story released in visual form and I will own them all :shobon:

Then they will announce giant season boxset collections in UHD....
Except for Big Finish stories, right? Because... wow.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cerv posted:

is it healthy to indulge such immaturity?
or is this tendency like when home TVs were 4:3 and some people "couldn't get into" watching a movie that wasn't cropped to gently caress
I want to say to each their own, but my roommate has truemotion enabled on her television and it fills me with white hot rage every time I look at it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Secretly change the settings while they're asleep, and never tell them you did it.
See, I wish I'd done this, but my damned fool self decided it was more important to show the person the difference between the two so that they'd know why truemotion was poo poo, and once I had, they understood the difference and preferred the poo poo video look.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

Why are you automatically seeing misogyny here when he didn't even say why he found her insufferable?
Because when there's an incredibly online, incredibly toxic, and incredibly vocal contingent of nerds warring for control of every genre fiction franchise, it's kind of on you to explain how you're not one of them rather than on everybody else to expect that nobody is.

I don't like it either, but if somebody tells me they hate the new Star Wars movies and forty-nine times out of fifty when you let them talk long enough, they basically just hate that women and black people have agency in genre fiction now, I kind of have to assume the fiftieth person doesn't have any legitimate points to make until they say what they are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So Google knows I love Doctor Who so it keeps spitting Youtube videos at me with titles like "How to ruin a franchise" and "Doctor who's worst season" with a thumbnail of Jodie and I'm just so exhausted.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

"THE ACCENT STUCK!?! :haw:"
"Well no... but we got back to the right place eventually :smug:"
Stop typing things that make me disappointed when they don't happen! :mad:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

marktheando posted:

This is one of my least favourite moments in the whole silence saga. Moffat can be great but he needs someone to tell him when his ideas are stupid and bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gr7RAFYUS4
More than that, he needs somebody to tell him when it's a bad idea because he'd already done it better.

How many libraries of dead people did he write? Three?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still want Haley Atwell, but I fell so much in love with Jodie's portrayal that I can wait. When it came time to change my name, I almost went with Jodie, but then I remembered that it's best not to name yourself after people who are still alive because... well, imagine naming your kid after Graham Linehen or something only to find out he's a massive git.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Make the Agent Carter/Doctor Who crossover you cowards :mad:
God dammit, J-Ru. Now I'll never be satisfied until I see this!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

"Yes... Yes I like to think it does...."

God Day of the Doctor was so loving good.
I got goosebumps just now watching that clip.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My regeneration's going pretty good, though I have yet to explode into a ball of fire that's capable of destroying my time machine as well as a whole Dalek fleet yet inexplicably leaves my clothing intact, so I'm feeling a little ripped off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Impeccable taste in eyewear, I may add
I wear knockoff wayfarers. Knockoff wayfarers are cool.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Nah, the lack of fireworks just means you were totally at peace and contented with your decision to change (and not a moment too soon) :)
:3:

Now I need a bitchin' coat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well thanks to that exchange, I've decided when I have money that isn't earmarked for transition stuff I'm gonna' cosplay 13.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Levine: The record ratings for the most recent season of the show is further proof of how reviled it is by fans!
Star Wars making more money than ever by having women and black people matter is proof that the franchise is on the wrong track!

Captain Marvel making a billion dollars is proof that women shouldn't be superheroes!

I unabashedly love that these CHUDs keep getting proven wrong, over and over, though I'd be a lot happier if the media didn't treat the narrative as a "both sides" thing since one side is so clearly wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

Big Finish is doing a 12th doctor box set; no Capaldi yet, still Jacob Dudman doing an impression.
Considering nobody has ever, ever been "too busy" to do some voice acting, I'm starting to think the rumors that Capaldi's exist was rushed have some weight to them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've seen a lot of fan-made versions of this scene, but holey cheese, this one tops all of them.

Though I definitely miss Eleven's theme and "No, Sir. All THIRTEEN!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I never get tired of Doctor Actor is just The Doctor jokes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know, I think Missy's Vault might by my favorite tardis set that wasn't a tardis set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBlzasgbyc8

I love how it mirrors twelve's Jules Verne/Myst reinvention of Eleven's tardis set.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Have Big Finish made 10th and River stories yet? It always bugs me how she asks ten if he's yet experienced things she did with Eleven, and that's never going away, but at the very least, it would settle my brain goblins a little bit if she had some other adventures with him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

York_M_Chan posted:

I'm marveling at the opening shot of The Mysterious Planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D7y7mSaQxo
Kept expecting the Red Dwarf 2001 theme to kick in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How dorky would it be to buy 13's coat and just use it... as a coat. Like, in every day life.

I've never bought a woman's coat before and I quite like hers.

Even pre-transition, I never wore coats. Always preferred flannels and hoodies, but even women's cut flannels read as men's clothing to strangers, much to my great frustration.

Funnily enough, my only two coats are a brown coat quite similar to Malcolm Reynolds' from Firefly and I was gifted a long leather trench I only wore a couple of times with dress clothes (and once for Halloween when I was Spike from Buffy) that's fairly close to 9's.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cleretic posted:

It's actually probably less dorky to wear it now than it was before she started wearing it, because it's kind of a weird coat.

If you find it for sale somewhere though let me know because I also want one.
Not on sale, but Hot Topic has it for 80 bucks US down to the TARDIS lining and my first transition birthday is next week and while I don't have more money than sense, I do have a credit card and painful need to do something nice for myself to mark the occasion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Right! This is gonna' be fun!

Please ignore that the shirt is too tight and the mirror's a bit dirty.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

Well show us the boots too!

Jerusalem posted:

Yes please tell me you got the boots, they're so cool.
One paycheck at a time. This was almost a hundred U.S. Boots, pants, suspenders and sonic will trickle in over the month leading to Halloween. Then I'll bleach my hair blonde and we're off to the races.

Provided I don't wear the shirt and coat together, which is a bit much, I think I can use all but the pants and suspenders as non-costume clothes in regular rotation, but I have to return the shirt for a larger one, because while the XL makes my boobs look fantastic, it shows off a little too much gut and the tight shoulders make me look like a dude.

I absolutely adore this coat. It fits the wrestling t-shirt dictum of "if fans get it, cool, but nobody else will know."

As for the requested boots, do these look close enough? https://www.amazon.com/Top-Moda-EC8...boots+for+women

Edit: Dammit. Those don't come in big ol' trans woman feet sizes. Do you think these work or are they too shiny?

https://www.womanwithin.com/product...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit 2: Also, this kicks rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZTA0REPEw

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 28, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Too many edits so I'm doubleposting, by holy poo poo, somebody took a bunch of Doctor themes and integrated them into 13's theme so like I am the Doctor is more optimistic and wondrous and while it isn't perfect, it's incredibly musically interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7gPrElAFQ

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Your excitement is contagious. I'm more than ready for more 13 content.
:3: Thank you!

It's weird, the way I feel about 13 and Jodie and Chibnall. I don't like her TARDIS. I didn't love most of the episodes, even if I liked them. I miss the bombast of Moffat's big story arcs and the almost amateurish enthusiasm of Rusty's, but even despite all that, 13 might be my favorite doctor because Jodie is so full of absolute joy and like you said about me, that's incredibly infectious. 11 was my doctor and I expected that never to change, but come on. Just watch her go. :)

Add in the fact that I came out as trans the same week she regenerated and I feel such a personal connection to her. So much to the point that my name was Joe and is now Jolene, but for a hot minute I thought I'd change it to Jodie, and the only two reasons I didn't are that Jodie can also be a guy's name and I didn't want that, but also because what if she turned to the be a pederast or transphobe or something, unlikely as that seems. I've been alive long enough to know not to tie your identity to another person.

Look at her go. That's who I want to be.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

You're the best. Go you.
Thank you! You're the best for being the kind of person who'd make a stranger feel happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

It was utterly ridiculous. The basic premise of the Doctor is that the Doctor is an alien from Gallifrey who travels through time and space with one or more companions. Whether or not the Doctor has a cock is completely immaterial to the premise and it's so stupid that people lost their minds.
We don't know she doesn't! :-P