Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

2house2fly posted:

In retrospect I think series 8 was probably better, just because I liked the non-Moffat episodes more. Deep Breath might be no Eleventh Hour, but by a much larger margin Hungry Earth is no Mummy On The Orient Express

The failure of "The Hungry Earth" is that it wasn't called "Hungry Like the Earth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Jose Mengelez posted:

hey remember how the daleks are a fascist analog that project power and superiority but deep inside (literally) are a wretched pathetic creature almost worthy of pity? well according to chris chibnall they're actually super strong and cool, ride around on your back like a boss and don't afraid of anything.

can we just make mark gatiss the showrunner please and let grant morrison write a couple of eps?

I didn’t like the mind control but the Dalek being able to teleport its pieces across the planet was just ridiculous. They should’ve had a different backstory.

However Gatiss shouldn’t be allowed near the show.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On the other hand, it does boast that there will be new special effects. I hope they don't go overboard with that.

I wonder if they’ll replace the cardboard Master.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's a story from an old Doctor Who Annual. Obviously the writer didn't know much about the characters or continuity, since it's the Fourth Doctor, K-9, and Adric (who somehow knows a lot about space empires). Also K-9 straight up murders the villain. Anyway:

Now some information:

• Plague World: the annuals were released by World Publishing

• The planet Publius: sounds like publisher

• Bemar, the evil leader: the editor was MAE BRoadley

• The oppressed citizens Stylo and Auctor: auctor means author and stylo relates to writing

• The evil masterminds the Druden: a druden foot is another name for a pentagram, and World was owned by a company called Pentos

I'm not sure if the musician Kidson is a reference to anything but I wouldn't be surprised.

One wonders what things were like at World for writer Clive Hopwood.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2019

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Astroman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FiT5U1rWmo

"SIR, YOU ARE CLEARLY UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS!"

This one is good too (and probably the best use of the redesigned Daleks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgFriPVlACs

(The song is "Black Sheep" by Metric.)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I've been going through the Season 19 set and saw Kinda again. It's still really good. The surrealism really works with the story and it isn't just weird for weirdness's sake. No character is really evil, they just have problems, and the Mara are basically manifestations of those problems. In the end the main villain Hindle gets better and everyone seems okay with him. And there are interesting details like how everything in the base is numbered because they apparently put it together from a kit, and the implication that the Kinda people are actually very advanced and decided it's best to live without time. Other observations:

• Hindle is basically Arnold Rimmer.
  • One of the Kinda children is played by a young Jonny Lee Miller.
  • Todd goes through the whole story wearing black stockings and high heels, which is probably all some people remember about it.
  • The Wherever is pretty much the Black Lodge.
  • I've never understood why people have a problem with the snake. If you can accept that a studio with fake trees is a jungle, you can accept the snake.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Hi everyone, I'm working on an extremely bad idea, and could use your help!

I'm working on a music-based project (I'm not comfortable calling it anything more specific than that, because I have no idea what I'm doing), and I've realized there's part of it that could use, specifically, Classic Who music famously connected to the Daleks or Cybermen. I was going to go with their respective Murray Gold themes largely because I'm familiar with them and they're easy for me to find, but I think this project could use a touch of some good classic sci-fi synths and the like if at all possible.

Are there any that jump out to anyone here?

"Space Adventure" by Martin Slavin was basically the Cybermen's them (though it was also used for the Yeti).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6ThsLtHqs

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

The one moment that always struck me as summing up Hartnell's Doctor was a scene where he goes from :mad: to :q: in the span of like a second and both are so incredibly emotive and flow into each other. Yeah, he got all yelly and shouty at times, but people forget his YOU CAN'T CHANGE HISTORY NOT ONE LINE outburst was followed by a soothing "oh, come now, dear, there's nothing to be done about it now"

Don't forget he'd constantly break down giggling.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 27, 2019

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Also, the first trailer for Moffat and Gatiss' Dracula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC9TjMNqPEo

Can't wait to see Mina humiliating and emasculating Dracula but then in the end saying she loves him and would do anything for him.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Harlock posted:

Bring back Jonathan Pryce as the Master

You mean Gordon Tipple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

CobiWann posted:

How can anyone hate Delta and the Bannermen?!?

The Target novel has a deleted scene that improves the story: