Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you do to fight the student council in your daily life?
When no one is looking, I eat one or two grapes at the grocery store without paying.
I sometimes tell my manager that I'm going to the bathroom, but I'm actually sitting on the toilet and reading the Kakegurui thread.
I hide in the corner of bookstores and read the books, and then I put the book back without paying for it.
One time, I ordered a pizza and it got delivered when me and my friends were hanging out so I gave the delivery guy a beer and told him not to tell his manager but I think he might have told his manager anyway
View Results

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kakegurui is back! After the climactic end of last season, it's time for our favorite gambling lads and lasses to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fCIcho7N4k

Kakegurui is set in a completely foreign and alien world to ours where rich people can basically do whatever they want. It takes place at Hyakkaou Private Academy where the hierarchy is determined by personal wealth. Gambling is encouraged, and those who are bad at it go broke and are forced to become "pets." Pets have basically no rights and if you graduate as a pet, you have to follow a life plan set out by the student council for how you spend your life. Naturally, you don't want this.

Characters

Karl Marx is a German philosopher and economist. She is most well known for creating dialectical materialism, what we now know as Marxism. Karl mysteriously appears at Hyakkaou one day and she is dead set on turning the whole place upside-down and destroying the student council.

Che Guevara is an Argentinian revolutionary Marxist. She lived a life of middle-class bliss in Argentina before going to Hyakkaou to study medicine. Che is a former capitalist who lost a high stakes gamble to Marx-chan and lost all her money. She went on a long motorcycle journey after this and learned of the horrible conditions of the poor. Now, she is Karl's strongest ally in the fight against the student council.

The Proletariat is a concept in Marxist thinking. The proletariat is anyone who does not own the means of production. In the past, farmers and laborers owned their own means of production (plows, hammers, etc), but now that we live in a (post-)industrialized age, the student council owns all means of production. All the proletarian has to sell is his own labor, which is exploited by the members of the student council. Prole-kun was deep in debt until Karl-chan won a series of bets and bought his freedom. At the end of last season, he realized that he wanted to be a revolutionary, and Karl-chan squirted all over the floor and soaked her panties.

Peter Kropotkin is a Russian aristocrat and Marxist theorist. Her family is fantastically wealthy and own over 12,000 serfs. She gave the council 5000 serfs to get a seat. After joining the Tsarist army, she was stationed at Hyakkaou Academy. Karl-Chan defeated Peter-chan in a gamble, and so she decided to become one of her allies. The question is though, is she really committed to the revolution or does she have other motives?

Adam Smith is a Scottish economist, known as the founder of capitalism. After becoming a professor of philosophy at the University of Glasgow, she decided to leave and come to Hakkaou to gain more power. She is the creator of the pet system and the president of the student council. Her and Karl-chan have an enigmatic relationship; it seems they have a connection, but we're not sure what it is.

Kakegurui XX comes out January 9th, and will come out every Friday after that on Netflix.

Time to get lewd and crush the ruling class. Shuffle up and deal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WB938n2Rmk

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OP of the year

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will follow gambling-horny Karl Marx into the depths of debt hell.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I guess it's finally time to catch up on this

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I forgot how incredible the first OP was. I don't envy them having to try to top that.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Karl Marx is a German philosopher and economist. She is most well known for creating dialectical materialism, what we now know as Marxism. Karl mysteriously appears at Hyakkaou one day and she is dead set on turning the whole place upside-down and destroying the student council.

If you reverse image search Karl here, it suggests 'Anime Best Girl'. Could the algorithm be developing revolutionary consciousness after all?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I came into the manga and initially thought it was going to be Kaijiesque. Instead I got Akagi with a girl Karl Marx

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I realized I forgot an important figure for the OP. Please review it for your education and enlightenment

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I woke up feelin so horny for this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Please continue to update the OP as more characters are introduced. The lore of this show is tough to keep track of without a guide.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The OP is a work of art. :golfclap:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hey so is this show as homosexual as the first season opening theme made it seem? i dunno if im gonna continue watching if not

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 6, 2019

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Venuz Patrol posted:

hey so is this show as homosexual as the first season opening theme made it seem? i dunno if im gonna continue watching if not

it's mostly girls doing ahegao faces at each other and in the manga smith-san and karl-chan roll around in a field of lilies cumming their brains out

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I liked the part in the manga where they dress up in made outfits with cat ears and almost make out before the dude bumbles in

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Kakegurui is inclusive of a wide variety of sexualities including but not limited to gay, straight, gambling, fame, power, death, fingernails, and guns.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

the girls are gamblesexuals, any game that puts them at horrible risk turns them on

so its not so much people

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The first season mostly got by on the strength of strong production values and how zany it was; curious to see if the second season follows suit, because often shows whose don't have a lot of substance tend to falter when they come back around the bend

that op is almost as good as s1's op

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Che-chan, she's the Vegeta to Karl-chan's Goku

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Fansubs are out for the first ep. The new opening looks nice, not as psychedelic as the old one but I like the use of playing card motifs.

Weird that they decided to put the setup for the season to the end of the episode, but I guess they wanted to start the season with a bang. Watching the smug pink-haired girl slowly realize who she's dealing with was pretty funny, Midari needs to be in more games.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Yumeko is Karl Marx, then who is:

Ikishima (Psycho Eyepatch)?
Yumemite (Idol Girl)?
Manyuda (Mr Glasses)?
Igarashi (Adam's Right Hand)?
Ririka (Adam's Mask)?
Yomozuki (Hoodie Gamer)?
The new Challengers?

I demand an update to the OP.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
glad to see the "very little style, no substance" anime is back

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't think that "Prole-kun" would be as funny as it is when I hear it in my head. But dang, it is. :mmmhmm:

Never change, Ikishima.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

If Yumeko is Karl Marx, then who is:

Ikishima (Psycho Eyepatch)?
Yumemite (Idol Girl)?
Manyuda (Mr Glasses)?
Igarashi (Adam's Right Hand)?
Ririka (Adam's Mask)?
Yomozuki (Hoodie Gamer)?
The new Challengers?

I demand an update to the OP.
:regd08:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Namtab posted:

OP of the year

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

was there an inter-season OVA or something? the start of season 2 seems disjointed from how s1 ended...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
s1 had a filler ending.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

wolfs posted:

was there an inter-season OVA or something? the start of season 2 seems disjointed from how s1 ended...
The end of the episode takes place before the gamble, the beginning of this storyline is being told out of order. The timeline from the first ep is:

1. The president announces her resignation.
2. A bunch of new characters appear.
3. ??????
4. The gamble from this episode happens.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Well lets see what Lady Alucard is up to this time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a shame they skipped out on showing one of the gambles from before this that happened in the manga. I hope it comes out in an OVA or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah they should have lead with that one, it was great.

Unfortunately it was kind of completely unrelated to anything except characterizing the one leftover student council member who didn't really do anything else, so I can see why they skipped it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 12, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I don't get how the secret partition thing was supposed to work. Wouldn't that mean that no one would get their fingers cut off, not just the student council girl's?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Since she knows there's no actual threat she can just keep her finger in until the others lose their nerve and give up. If she gets unlucky and the blade drops early it's a draw, not a loss.

Of course that was never going to work against two actual crazy people, but she wasn't aware of their personalities since she's new to the school.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He I don't watch the show but this is a good tweet, thanks for listening.
https://twitter.com/NanamisEgg/status/907065412172611584?s=19

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Wow that is one gay as hell Ed.

I'm glad to have this crazy show back even if I'm seriously disappointed we missed out on the really good gamble that should have been last seasons finale.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sindai posted:

Since she knows there's no actual threat she can just keep her finger in until the others lose their nerve and give up. If she gets unlucky and the blade drops early it's a draw, not a loss.

Of course that was never going to work against two actual crazy people, but she wasn't aware of their personalities since she's new to the school.

Ah. Makes sense.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Wow that is one gay as hell Ed.

I'm glad to have this crazy show back even if I'm seriously disappointed we missed out on the really good gamble that should have been last seasons finale.

If you mean the Tower, it's in one of the key visuals for this season, so I doubt they'll skip it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That was one harsh breakup.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/_dpiddy/status/1085057770368294912

I don't think Elon gets Kakegurui.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus