Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Did the episode come out before or after game selections? Because I'd have imagined the AVGN is responsible for it being in the cultural consciousness enough for it to warrant even being picked.

Gyre ran it at RPGLimit Break last year and it was pretty well received, so I'm not surprised that they accepted it for the Awful block as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hollow Knight was a pretty drat strong opening run, good technique and great banter from the couch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Definitely picking up that Kiki Kaikai shirt. Square Enix isn't gonna give me merch anytime soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TeaJay posted:

Here are the T-Shirt designs for this event.

https://theyetee.com/collections/agdq

I usually buy one shirt per event. It's gonna be either the Donkey Kong or Kiki Kaikai this time around.
I am so glad AGDQ does at least one if not more metroid shirts every year because they are almost universally killers. I'm definitely going to grab that fusion one, could've gone without the sound effects on the other one tbh, and I might grab that glow in the dark baby metroid patch

the metallica metroidvania one a few years back was absolutely flawless and a coworker of mine lost his mind when he saw it as both a metallica and metroid fan

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm interested to see the FFIV Free Enterprise run. Any impressions on the romhack?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Hollow Knight was a pretty drat strong opening run, good technique and great banter from the couch.

Agreed, it made my list of recs for 'worth watching the VOD'.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I shitposted in the fun thread and it was dumb as gently caress.

Keizaron (steven) is an abusive piece of poo poo that has absolutely destroyed my long time friend and now fiancé involving her in in depth therapy, nightmares where she wakes up terrified he was hitting her, and her puppy is terrified of men because he used to beat her for interrupting his lovely speed runs as a puppy. I have no idea where to bring this up but it’s incredibly sad that GDQ will support such a man.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Noise Complaint posted:

Keizaron (steven) is an abusive piece of poo poo that has absolutely destroyed my long time friend and now fianc involving her in in depth therapy, nightmares where she wakes up terrified he was hitting her, and her puppy is terrified of men because he used to beat her for interrupting his lovely speed runs as a puppy. I have no idea where to bring this up but its incredibly sad that GDQ will support such a man.

I'm very much not equipped to help with this sorta stuff, but I hope the people here that are more involved with the speedrunning community or lived thru similar situations can help you more. I told Noise to post here because I know we have a number of people involved with GDQ organization and the community as a whole paying attention to it, and it shouldn't get buried in the chat thread.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

It’s worth just talking about it. I spend so much time trying to help and have no idea where to point this poo poo out. Dude hides behind being a cancer survivor and abuses women

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I admittedly have zero understanding of who generally knows what about in speedrunning or the agdq circle but based on the way the gdq have handled shitbags in previous years (kicking out chuds, subscriber only chat, prob some things I’m forgetting) I’d like to think they’d be responsive to getting rid of ditching an abuser if this could be brought to someone’s attention :/

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

It would be great to bring it to someone’s attention. Unfortunately though I’ve known my fiancé for many many years, I’m new to the GDQ poo poo. And she is absolutely terrified he is going to blackmail her. Dude used to pin her to a wall and punch holes around her head.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
The guy sounds like a total piece of poo poo. We need to get the word out imo.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I’m willing to prove it any way I can.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Noise Complaint posted:

Keizaron (steven) is an abusive piece of poo poo that has absolutely destroyed my long time friend and now fiancé involving her in in depth therapy, nightmares where she wakes up terrified he was hitting her, and her puppy is terrified of men because he used to beat her for interrupting his lovely speed runs as a puppy. I have no idea where to bring this up but it’s incredibly sad that GDQ will support such a man.

Is this copypasta? Keizaron isn't on the schedule.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

McFrugal posted:

He's announcing on the event, was just doing the interview before this run.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Host

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

McFrugal posted:

He's one of the interviewers.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Noise Complaint posted:

I’m willing to prove it any way I can.

If you can, I already think he's a twat so I'd be willing to raise hell about it.

Which is admittedly incredibly opportunist of me but hey oh.

seriously though that is hosed up. What?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
edit: oops misclicked needful

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maybe coolmatty will get wind of this (if he still reads these forums) and will give himself a chance to redeem himself after the fuckawful way he handled the grav stuff

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Things I thought I would never ever write on a GDQ: I recommend the Mega Man Zero 2 run, the commentary makes it awesome and has a lot of good tech as well.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Roluth posted:

I'm interested to see the FFIV Free Enterprise run. Any impressions on the romhack?

It's really good, breathes a lot of life into the game. Before I played it, I had never given FF4 a second thought, mechanically speaking-- this has changed a whole lot. I'm good friends with half the couch crew, and they're very good-- should be really well able to provide accessible commentary for the unfamiliar, and the other half is known quantity Puwexil and the creator of the hack, b0ardface. The racers are incredibly solid, all really good with both the vanilla and rando'd runs.

Also, if you don't want to streamlink but want to avoid horrible GDQ chat, the RPGValkyries are hosting all week-- they run a tight ship on chat moderation, and feel generally cozy all around.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If you can, I already think he's a twat so I'd be willing to raise hell about it.

Which is admittedly incredibly opportunist of me but hey oh.

seriously though that is hosed up. What?

Sent a PM but I can provide more info than that. I turned on GDQ and when my SO walked into the room she broke down about how he gaslit her for months and months in order for her to start blaming herself for bothering his “speedrunner lifestyle”

Oh and he has one nut from cancer that’s why he’s front and center of

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Forgot there was a dedicated thread, am enjoying this majoras mask run

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

maybe coolmatty will get wind of this (if he still reads these forums) and will give himself a chance to redeem himself after the fuckawful way he handled the grav stuff

They handled the grav stuff just fine seeing as it came from someone untrustworthy.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Things I thought I would never ever write on a GDQ: I recommend the Mega Man Zero 2 run, the commentary makes it awesome and has a lot of good tech as well.

I dislike MM generally but this has been the best run of the event so far for me, beating out HK. It was super good and the commentary / chemistry between the runner and commentator were phenomenal.

Those little smiles and headshakes :3

edit: No need to poo poo up the thread with too many posts -

The LoZ MM run was really good, super knowledgeable couch, very solid tricks, good time.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 7, 2019

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Little Mac posted:

They handled the grav stuff just fine seeing as it came from someone untrustworthy.

"difference of opinions" lmao

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

neongrey posted:

It's really good, breathes a lot of life into the game. Before I played it, I had never given FF4 a second thought, mechanically speaking-- this has changed a whole lot. I'm good friends with half the couch crew, and they're very good-- should be really well able to provide accessible commentary for the unfamiliar, and the other half is known quantity Puwexil and the creator of the hack, b0ardface. The racers are incredibly solid, all really good with both the vanilla and rando'd runs.

Also, if you don't want to streamlink but want to avoid horrible GDQ chat, the RPGValkyries are hosting all week-- they run a tight ship on chat moderation, and feel generally cozy all around.
A few questions:

What exactly does the "restrict access to Edge and Fusoya" flag do, and why?
The entry mentions that league rules are being used for the event. I see three sets of rules in the presets that mention a league: which is being used?
Any specifics on the glitches section? Where can I go to learn about them?
The item settings have "balanced", "unbalanced" and "wild" settings? I get the general gist, but can you elaborate on what it does?

Thank you, and the randomizer looks very interesting!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
This Majora's Mask run has been pretty fantastic. The runner is consistently nailing the crazy bomb jumps and super slides.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't jinx it

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

site posted:

Don't jinx it

Edit: Nevermind, it was just set up.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hollow knight was awesome, the final boss with 1 health was intense.

MM run was awesome too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I feel bad about missing the MMZ2 run, I used to watch Krankdud all the time. He's a cool dude, I'll have to check out the VOD.

The induced crash after Majora's Mask was great.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Roluth posted:

Not positive whether it completely removes them from the pool of characters or only ensures that you can't start with them or get them early, but the reason for the restriction is that they trivialize a lot of the game. Fusoya in particular still comes in at level 50 with the full roster of White/Black spells, 1900 HP, and 190 MP; he can kill a ton of stuff with a single spell.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Isn't there another Animorphs game for Keizaron to run?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lid posted:

Isn't there another Animorphs game for Keizaron to run?

Not at this event, at any rate.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Roluth posted:

A few questions:

The entry mentions that league rules are being used for the event. I see three sets of rules in the presets that mention a league: which is being used?
Any specifics on the glitches section? Where can I go to learn about them?
The item settings have "balanced", "unbalanced" and "wild" settings? I get the general gist, but can you elaborate on what it does?

Thank you, and the randomizer looks very interesting!

Edge and Fusoya are end game characters, so if you get them in the first draw, you can just steamroll almost any enemy, as bosses are scaled to the original level.

The glitches are an infinite money glitch, which can be handy, and another one that I never learned, so I can't comment on it. I usually turn them off as they aren't mentioned.

There is a league that they run once in awhile.

Wild I believe means that any item can appear in any shop, including progression items. But that term wasn't used the last time I played.

Honestly, join the discord and ask for guidance. People there are super friendly and want to help.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
edit: wrong thread sorry!

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Wow, that Gaius jump!

Also, is there another thread for this? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

Wow, that Gaius jump!

Also, is there another thread for this? Thanks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878871

It's a little weird in there but we welcome new friends! :3: