Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Didn't expect a positive ethnic cleansing in this game. Romero sounds like something out of Pet Sematary.

What is the item limit for stacks? Just so long as it is a multiple of 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I like how Romero's problem grows over time instead of being a one and done. And it's a decent nod to the director. It's not the only town that changes too...

Most items you buy from the item shop will stack up to 9 before you have to start a new one. Weapons, armor, and most everything else won't stack at all. Which is a little annoying since things like elemental stones can start making inventory management a pain. All the hats I found really started clogging it as well, but I plan on doing selling between episodes.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #8: Domo Arigato Mr Stone Robo

We take our key over to the stone robot, activate it, and blow up the rocks blocking the trapped water. Draining the lake opens up the Lake Shrine where we can get the ring for the Chief of Tantar as well. There's even a wedding we get to watch! What could possibly go wrong?

New Music

Swimming
Distant View
Song and Dance

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 27, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of the left part of the game seems to be cut off in the latest video. It seems sort of off-center.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Not sure how that got so misaligned. I'll have a new version up tonight.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Work ran long today, however the proper edit is now up! That was an embarrassing little error, but we're starting to get to the meatier parts of the game so hope people enjoy.

Episode #8: Domo Arigato Mr Stone Robo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The boss should have been named Troll, for having a larger HP bar for a second wind.
Good riddance to a teleport maze.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ah, the Gremlin. When I played this game as a kid, this was always the most frustrating part. It definitely feels like the game truly starts once you beat him, although that's probably aided by the change in overworld music. One thing I always liked about the two SNES Breath of Fire games is that they weren't a typical "enemy is already established and is just waiting for you to fight back"-style games. The General was searching for the Ring at the same time we were, and took the Stone Robot after we left it behind, although I'm curious about how that works - does the robot only need the goddess key once, and then anyone can use it after activation?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

Ah, the Gremlin. When I played this game as a kid, this was always the most frustrating part. It definitely feels like the game truly starts once you beat him, although that's probably aided by the change in overworld music. One thing I always liked about the two SNES Breath of Fire games is that they weren't a typical "enemy is already established and is just waiting for you to fight back"-style games. The General was searching for the Ring at the same time we were, and took the Stone Robot after we left it behind, although I'm curious about how that works - does the robot only need the goddess key once, and then anyone can use it after activation?

I always figured we were idiots and left the key in the ignition.

But yeah, the Gremlin is absolutely the Wake-Up Boss, game's gettin' started, time to start paying attention and strategizing!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #9: Cash for Gold

The shrine we ran into last episode helps our hero unlock his hidden abilities! Faeries curse a woodcutter. And we find a city made out of gold where people will pay us large sums to do chores (while we rob their homes).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some games have fungus named myconids or combination of #nids.

I am pretty sure the Nina cutscene with the old man is something perverted like a puff-puff.

There is folklore about the dangers of walking in fairy rings. Stuff like being cursed or losing an eye. Nice stuff.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

That is a possibility! Stools were originally myconids while fungus was gelnid, and the sprite difference is the mushroom cap vs the "gel balls" cap.

I love old mythology. We're so used to stories having a lesson or purpose. Or you can just tell stories about how everything is going to screw with or outright kill you.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #10 - Chupacabra

We travel east and discover the neighboring region is trapped in eternal night. Our gold bar is traded for a piece of ice. And we venture out into a vast desert where a city is having it's livestock eaten.

New Music

Secret City
Sand Palace

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was a refreshingly short boss fight. Dragon form seems awfully strong in this game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It is. In stark contrast to BoF 2. The series has some trouble finding the right balance between having the dragon forms be overpowered or underpowered.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I forgot it was the adult form of the dragons and not the whelp. It sure took a while to get the power and Ryu got the advanced form off the bat.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I forgot it was the adult form of the dragons and not the whelp. It sure took a while to get the power and Ryu got the advanced form off the bat.

The three forms we have originally translated as Fire/Snow/Thunder Puppy. This actually is (what comes to be known as) the whelp form, despite how much damage it does, as well as how it looks. We got those at about the 1/4 to 1/3 mark of the game, and it takes far longer than I'd like to get access to the next tier up.

Torrannor posted:

It is. In stark contrast to BoF 2. The series has some trouble finding the right balance between having the dragon forms be overpowered or underpowered.

This is so very true. Without getting too spoilery; BoF2 chipped off some of the rough edges with it's system. BoF3 was innovative but swingy in power. Dragon Quarter threw the baby out with the bathwater and made your form so 'over powered' you can get a game over from using it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Turns out there was more to the earthquake device that destroyed Nanai. By playing the waiting game, you get a couple more messages before the game kills you.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #11 - Tomb Raider

With the fife in hand, we're able to enter the trap laden Krypt to find Karn. What treasures and secrets will we find buried within?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Sorry for the delay on this episode. Had a family member pass away and was hard to get in the right head space. Should be back up to speed on the next one!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Turns out there was more to the earthquake device that destroyed Nanai. By playing the waiting game, you get a couple more messages before the game kills you.

Beyond the "I will awaken soon" quote? I waited awhile in my test run but have a save near there I can check.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I still know that feeling.

The cutting room floor has a bunch of stuff that got removed or changed from the game. Even had unused music.

That water trap didn't seem so bad with the jail bars there. They should have used something more solid to lock you in.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #12 - First Intermission

Now that we've got Karn, we go on a tour revisiting old locations to grab a ton of treasure, including some very powerful gear. We check out how Camlon's rebuilt and see how the series fishing mini-games started.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ah yes, fake urgency in video games. No sense of immediate danger for somebody would stop me from solving side quest or going treasure hunting, either!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is quite an oversight to have such equipment available so soon.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The first time I played this game I never really backtracked and picked up all that cool poo poo, but I definitely got them at this point on any replay after

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I almost think someone forgot to put one of the breakable walls in Agua to block off that Dragon Shrine. Though that would have only roadblocked us for a few more episodes... You also have to know to search the dragon statues, which isn't too obvious.

The life armor is the only thing that's really insane at this point; It's high defense and walking heal will combo well this early. The Icy Dagger puts Karn on par with our fighters for regular attacks (his crit rate is another matter), but he'll be getting an ability that will shift him into more of a... support role. Lightning is more common than fire at this stage, so the Flame Shield is just a defense boost. Not to mention spells can pierce our defense, so some enemies will still be a pain.

Torrannor posted:

Ah yes, fake urgency in video games. No sense of immediate danger for somebody would stop me from solving side quest or going treasure hunting, either!

She's been in that safe for who knows how long. What's the worst that could happen?
I'm really just saving time. I'd have to do this next part right after opening the safe anyways.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 1, 2019

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #13 - Everyone Loves a Twin Key

We climb a pair of towers today to get a set of matching goddess keys, rescue the girl from the safe, and try to catch a boat out of town.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The ghost mom track is Castle in the Sky music. It is called Fate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrTu7BAjjCA

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 9, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How did she even know her father changed his mind?

"We'll release you for now" - Brix and co. kicked their asses, they were in no position to "release" or "hold" the party!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #14 - Calamari Army

We blow open an entrance to the Dark Dragon base so we can steal a ship from them. But a pair of brotherly sea monsters will stand in our way. And our fishy friend manages to cause a few problems...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How do you even equip "Gills"?? You need to be born with them!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They must be the lesser known marine dragons of the clan.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I always hate it in RPGs when they force your party to run [and/or stealth] away from some dumb mooks that you can just casually slaughter without any effort.
Really, you probably could've just annihilated everyone on those three dark dragon ships without blowing up what is now was your boat.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 16, 2019

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #15 - A Fish Tale

Our adventures as Gobi take us to the bustling trade city of Prima where we learn about his past and explore the shops. We're soon sent to retrieve some goods from the nearby industrial city of Gant, but it seems almost all the townsfolk are gone...

Character limit is 4 letters for names. Vote over which you like. I'll let people leave ideas till next video.

New Music

Dawn
Trade City

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Four characters is too short for me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't like renaming well established characters :shrug:

At least this once, acting on the "emergency" rewards you with another character, which is nice. As for the flea market, that's early RPG design for you. Having a super low chance to get incredible equipment is just another form of grinding, if less reliable. I'm glad developers mostly did away with this nonsense (only to be replaced with lootboxes :cry:).

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #16: Olly Olly Oxen Free

With Ox's people held hostage by the Dark Dragons, we head off to storm another base and end up meeting a familiar boss. Karn's potential begins to be unlocked and I show how dangerous the flame rapier really is.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Karn's fusions really are one of the reasons he's a fan favorite. There's practically no reason to use a non-fused Karn anymore, unless you need a particular party member's skill and you don't have it in the fused form.

You can also see one thing that always annoyed me when I played the game, every cutscene automatically defuses you.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

You can't use the ultimate dragon form with a fused Karn.

I spent a year think my game was just broken when it was constantly greyed out after getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Having two characters able to transform makes Ryu less of an OP character finishes all the tough fights.
These Dark Dragons are lovely at being dragons.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 4, 2019