Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Torrannor posted:

Karn's fusions really are one of the reasons he's a fan favorite. There's practically no reason to use a non-fused Karn anymore, unless you need a particular party member's skill and you don't have it in the fused form.

You can also see one thing that always annoyed me when I played the game, every cutscene automatically defuses you.

The cut scenes defusing Karn is very annoying since you usually don't notice it right away. At least it's cheap to re-fuse and Karn isn't using his AP for much else. What really irks me is how BoF2 has this same issue. The worst being the cut scene right before the final boss...

TheKirbs posted:

You can't use the ultimate dragon form with a fused Karn.

I spent a year think my game was just broken when it was constantly greyed out after getting it.

Oof... It's admittedly one of the biggest weaknesses of fusion and I don't think they point that out either.

My own personal sad story had me playing all the way to the top of the wizard's tower. I then got distracted by another game and finally came back a month later. Instead of going left to fight the boss, I accidentally went right, fought to the constantly spawning enemies, and eventually walked out the front door.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Having two characters able to transform makes Ryu less of an OP character finishes all the tough fights.
These Dark Dragons are lovely at being dragons.

Outside of Dragon Shrines, I don't think there's a real "dragon" Dark Dragon for a very long time. I really want to say that the frog/squid/etc. transformations actually are supposed to be odd dragon forms. The behemoth form in BoF3 always reminded me of frog boss in an odd way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #17: Second Intermission

We travel the world with Ox's wall smashing to grab more hidden goodies, including a broken boomerang. We learn the secret of weaponizing giant birds and let them lead the charge against the Dark Dragons. But what is this weapon they've been working on?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't remember, does Nina have an exit spell here, or do you only get this spell in BoF 2 and later?

Furthermore, there was a way to sort your inventory, right? I would have put the Flame Saber in the very first place, to save a lot of clicking when having Nina use it in battle.

And yes, the sorceress is a... character. I'm looking forward to meeting her.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Nina doesn't have an exit spell in this game sadly. She does have a warp spell to travel to a town, but that's locked into being cast on the world map only.

I sort the flame saber to the top for the next episode. I really should have done that sooner.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #18: Wake Up Call

The ancient city of Wisdon has been sealed for centuries, and we're the first living soul to enter in a very long time. There are still many Guardian spirits about though. And some have been tasked with guarding the Sorceress's deep slumber from intrusion.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The encounter armor only seems to work to reduce encounters that happen a few steps since the last one.

I can't imagine a use for having walls around an underwater town.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You would think that constantly punching those crumbling walls would at one point lead to the roof coming down on you.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #19: Liquid Snake

Our party descends deep into the undersea volcano to place the Ancient Egg in just the right location. And just in time, as the Dark Dragons begin their all out assault on Prima! However, the sorceress Bleu hears our pleas and joins the battle in person!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How many episodes ago did we get the dragon whelp forms? Isn't it time that we get better versions? (I last played BoF 1 20 years ago, I absolutely don't remember when we get other dragon forms.)

I'm still irritated by the inconsistent naming of fry/thunder.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They really have a thing for fixed damage attacks. I am guessing the 3.5 and 5.5 are quake spells?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Torrannor posted:

How many episodes ago did we get the dragon whelp forms? Isn't it time that we get better versions? (I last played BoF 1 20 years ago, I absolutely don't remember when we get other dragon forms.)

I'm still irritated by the inconsistent naming of fry/thunder.

We got our whelp forms waaaay back at the start of Episode #9; Right after the Stone Giant jumped into the volcano. I've actually passed by the next dragon shrine (it's hidden off to the left between the 'Gate' Dark Dragon base and the GrimFowl Forest), but the guard there won't let us in without showing him an ancient artifact we don't have yet. You're right though. We're more than due for new forms and that will change *very* soon.

A lot of the naming conventions they went for are unusual. Part of the reason I like showing off enemies original Japanese names. As someone mentioned in the comments, even how they handled elemental damage is odd.

Scalding Coffee posted:

They really have a thing for fixed damage attacks. I am guessing the 3.5 and 5.5 are quake spells?

Which is interesting since so many of the damage calculations for melee and such include a lot of random adjustments. Magic resistance and magic damage in general seems to be done in a much more basic manner.

3.5 and 5.5 are indeed quake spells! 3.5 does the exact same thing as our earth key (30 damage to all enemies), while 5.5 hits all enemies for 50 damage.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

thiswayliesmadness posted:

We got our whelp forms waaaay back at the start of Episode #9; Right after the Stone Giant jumped into the volcano. I've actually passed by the next dragon shrine (it's hidden off to the left between the 'Gate' Dark Dragon base and the GrimFowl Forest), but the guard there won't let us in without showing him an ancient artifact we don't have yet. You're right though. We're more than due for new forms and that will change *very* soon.

A lot of the naming conventions they went for are unusual. Part of the reason I like showing off enemies original Japanese names. As someone mentioned in the comments, even how they handled elemental damage is odd.

Which is interesting since so many of the damage calculations for melee and such include a lot of random adjustments. Magic resistance and magic damage in general seems to be done in a much more basic manner.

3.5 and 5.5 are indeed quake spells! 3.5 does the exact same thing as our earth key (30 damage to all enemies), while 5.5 hits all enemies for 50 damage.

I think the implication is they're measured on the Richter scale, thus why there's seemingly arbitrary numbers for earthquake attacks.

Also, Bleu is goddamn awesome. On the one hand, it's a shame it takes so long to get her, but on the other hand, she already makes the game fairly trivial when she joins the party, so it's maybe for the best?

What's interesting is that her level seems to be capped at 41. To get to level 42 takes double the EXP that it took to get from level 1 to 41, so they must have done that on purpose. There's a lot of strange decisions in this game.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

Also, Bleu is goddamn awesome. On the one hand, it's a shame it takes so long to get her, but on the other hand, she already makes the game fairly trivial when she joins the party, so it's maybe for the best?

What's interesting is that her level seems to be capped at 41. To get to level 42 takes double the EXP that it took to get from level 1 to 41, so they must have done that on purpose. There's a lot of strange decisions in this game.

Piercing magic attacks are just so powerful in this game, and now we have a character that specializes in them. Bleu kicks all kinds of rear end and will likely be in the party a majority of the time now. There is a combat shift later where melee shines more, but that's much later.

The experience table is all kinds of odd. There are a few moments it curves uniquely for character's story events expected levels, and many characters run into that artificial leveling wall. Like Jaxon Sextro mentioned, Bleu hits one of these at 41:

Level - Experience Needed
39 - 80,000
40 - 90,000
41 - 100,000
42 - 200,000
43 - 300,000

Once you hit 41, you've got one hell of a grind to start climbing past that point. The good news is she learns her last spell at 40. The bad news is that her stat gains between 41-48 are at their peak during this arc. I've used Nina as an example before, and she hits an odd level wall too:

Level - Experience Needed
43 - 228,000
44 - 238,000
45 - 248,000
46 - 260,000
47 - 773,000
48 - 832,000

Nina's been with the party longer so she has more experience in general, but they still curved her to peak at a higher level than Bleu. And that lock out at level 47 is just *nuts*. Grind 3x the amount experience you've gained so far to get past that hurtle...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #20: Fishing for Answers

The Guild Leader returns Gobi's license and sphere, allowing him to turn into a giant fish for transporting the party around. We discover Tunlan, only to be unable to communicate with the native populace. But hidden near their vault is the top tier fishing rod, which allows us to pull up ancient treasures. Another Dragon Shrine is found, and we challenge the keeper within.

New Music

Music City

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 30, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ah yes, this starts the BoF tradition of having overpowered equipment as rewards for playing the fishing game.

I swear I had no idea that we would get the next dragon forms this episode, I was just annoyed that we still hadn't progressed past the whelp forms. So we'll probably get a new Karn fusion somewhat soon, now that I'm writing about it :cheeky:

Alternate travel forms that avoid random encounters are very neat. Plus all the opening more routes on the overworld map stuff. Too bad we can't ride the giant fish on the ocean's surface, even though we could when we confronted the Dark Dragon fleet.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I believe there is another fusion coming up! I won't say anything else, but it is comical how much ultimate equipment is garnered through the fishing points. Although I'll give this game credit for having the only fishing mini-game that isn't abominably tedious.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A BoF mini-game that is quick and rewarding? Outstanding.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Jason Sextro posted:

I believe there is another fusion coming up! I won't say anything else, but it is comical how much ultimate equipment is garnered through the fishing points. Although I'll give this game credit for having the only fishing mini-game that isn't abominably tedious.

I absolutely loved the poo poo out of BoF3's, but I think half of that was the ridiculous music. It did get you a bunch of decent stuff, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can safely ignore fishing in BoF3, but the silver knife you can forge at the start is such a leap in power and mandatory for getting a Master the instant she is available, that you would be foolish to ignore. Craft one and be done with it forever. gently caress the mansion without that knife.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

The fishing in BoF3 is my ideal fishing mini-game. The rewards are great, the fish you can catch are neat, and you'll revisit areas later to catch rarer fish.

BoF2 has a decent system, but getting items from it can be very frustrating. Which goes for a handful of things in that game. It's definitely an improvement from BoF1, but things like the chimes mini-game consumed too much of my time in a bad way.

I wish there was a bit more substance to the fishing in this. You can fail bringing up the items/slab/fish, but just dip your rod back in and try again.

Torrannor posted:

I swear I had no idea that we would get the next dragon forms this episode, I was just annoyed that we still hadn't progressed past the whelp forms. So we'll probably get a new Karn fusion somewhat soon, now that I'm writing about it :cheeky:

:stonklol:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ayndin posted:

I absolutely loved the poo poo out of BoF3's, but I think half of that was the ridiculous music. It did get you a bunch of decent stuff, though.

Yes, the music was a part of why BoF3's fishing game was so good. But it was also legitimately fun. Getting a new fishing rod so you can suddenly reach twice as far, reeling in the really big fish far out on the sea... it was just good. I think it's the only really fleshed out fishing mini-game that I ever enjoyed.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

BoF2 has a decent system, but getting items from it can be very frustrating. Which goes for a handful of things in that game. It's definitely an improvement from BoF1, but things like the chimes mini-game consumed too much of my time in a bad way.

I honestly can't even remember BoF2's fishing game. I do remember the chime mini-game, one of the worst parts of BoF2.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the payoff for that one was so small I never bothered with it. It doesn't seem like I missed much

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

the payoff for that one was so small I never bothered with it. It doesn't seem like I missed much

You really didn't. Boombada, deals non-elemental damage to all enemies equal to half their current HP, and doesn't work on bosses.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #21: Honey, I Shrunk The Dragon

Gust is suffering from a breakout of insanity, so we head into the mountains to discover it's cause. Jade's Lieutenant Cort ambushes us with a shrinking formula, and we're forced to fight through an army of his monstrous creations. Karn meets another of his family line, but his new fusion has a few issues...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I always wondered what the point of that fusion was, given that it's obtained too late to be particularly useful. You don't have any reason to go underwater by now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Get new dragon forms and you end up fighting roaches to advance the plot.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

This game went to some weird places, definitely.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

I always wondered what the point of that fusion was, given that it's obtained too late to be particularly useful. You don't have any reason to go underwater by now.

If they put the form in Prima, you would have gotten some good use out of it; You could have used the transformation against the Pincher boss and had the leg up exploring underwater. But with how it is, you'll probably never see it again in this LP.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Get new dragon forms and you end up fighting roaches to advance the plot.

And this isn't the last time roaches will be a boss in the series...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't even remember that form. Sometimes, game designers make very questionable choices.

Did Bleu leave our party here?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Yeah, she's temporarily out of the party playing nurse.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #22: Shock Therapy

Expect a lot of mini-bosses this episode as we take revenge against a golden fly for stealing a lunch, pluck the madness flower, have more than a few issues with Bleu's attempts at healing, and finally tangle with Jade's Lieutenant Cort.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a crystal ball atop of her staff!

And you would think that Cort could have intervened while we cut down his flower. Why was he just standing there? He didn't even do the classic villain thing of siccing the flower on Brix and then leaving!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rest in hell, Cort. The guy seems built up to be like Kefka and failed getting anywhere.
The frog oil is basically promoting licking frogs.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #23: Battle Royal

Journeying West reveals the town of Gramor, who's champion is trapped in a dream by another of Jade's Lieutenant's. We acquire the two relics necessary to communicate with the people of Tunlan, only to discover it's ruler is in love with Zog...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rest in hell, Cort. The guy seems built up to be like Kefka and failed getting anywhere.
The frog oil is basically promoting licking frogs.

Jade's lieutenants are built up like serious threats and only one of them turns out to be. Before the days of easy-access FAQs he gave me troubles for years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If Jade's lieutenants had coordinated their plans, then Cerl would have taken the Bolster as well.

How fresh were these Melons? How long have they been in that safe?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did Nina have a fight with Bleu at some point? I totally forgot if there was.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Since she's joined, Bleu's kind of been looking down on Nina in a way. When we defeated RugaX and it turned into Nicholie, Nina's attempts at healing were practically mocked by Bleu. Though Nina didn't say much about Bleu's oil run being useless or blasting Nicholie with lightning.

Mind you, it's partly Bleu's personality as well. When you've been around for 1000's of years and are a library of death magic, you tend to be a bit smug.

There's another big thing about her that gets explored in later games that helps explains why she might look down on most people...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #24 - Pull Yourself Together

Using the bolster, we dive into Mogu's dream and battle the monster trapping him. With Mogu's personification of courage hiding away, we journey through harsh territory to give him a pep talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Time to squash a bug.