Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Episode #25 - Can You Dig It?

Now that Mogu is whole again, we storm the North Tower to take down Mothro so we can exit the dream world. We also take advantage of Mogu's leader ability to tunnel into some hidden areas, including a special one for Karn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why is Karn not the MC? Imagine being the hero and everyone else is potentially a bigger shitkicker than you are.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

To be fair, Karn is basically half the party at this point. It's kind of funny that, in a game where you can switch characters around in battle, you need to fuse half of them into a single character for them to not be nearly useless.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Raiad posted:

To be fair, Karn is basically half the party at this point. It's kind of funny that, in a game where you can switch characters around in battle, you need to fuse half of them into a single character for them to not be nearly useless.

Even worse, there is, sadly, actually never a reason to put Mogu into combat, mechanically speaking, unless you really want that guaranteed escape.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Karn is a great character, and would have made a decent main in his own story. But part of the problem with his power is that it diminishes how good some of the other party members are.

-He's more powerful in melee than any other character
-Transformations are comparable to dragon forms in damage, but he doesn't have to waste a turn changing (usually)
-Being part of a transformation means I'm not using that party member, so they can't shine
-Most leader abilities get covered by a transformation

It's a really unique mechanic, but I think Capcom would have been better served making the characters a bit more distinct outside of the fusion. And maybe spreading out their locations a bit better.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Even worse, there is, sadly, actually never a reason to put Mogu into combat, mechanically speaking, unless you really want that guaranteed escape.

He's capable of some good damage once his equipment is upgraded. Especially if you get a (rare) continuous attack. But I think my friend put it best: Mogu being a low hp character in a game with piercing magic attacks, nerfs him right off the bat.

As much as I've been poking fun at some of the mechanics, it helps to remember this is an older game and Capcom's first real dip into RPG's solo. The rough spots certainly show looking back, but it really had some charm playing through in it's day. The BoF series can be an interesting meta view on how company's learn to develop a product for their market, and what lessons they've learned.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

In a way I kinda miss the unpolished nature of old school rpgs. Like, it's really cool how this game allows you to find crazy overpowered stuff if you're paying attention and willing to explore, and understandably, games don't seem to do that much anymore. But it's also nice that you definitely don't need any of those overpowered items to get through this game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those were different times. As a kid, I was legit stuck at the "8 with the palm trees" puzzle in Final Fantasy adventure, and only progressed several weeks later after telephoning my older cousin for the solution. Today, you just google it.

You couldn't have that busted equipment hidden somewhere where you can get it early, the internet will instantly reveal it, and everybody will rag on your game for being too easy in parts.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #26: The Weather Dominator

Karn gets his final transformation which allows us to unlock the dragon seals around the world. We journey to the village of Spring, which is stuck in eternal winter. So we climb the weather altering Spyre Tower to make things right.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Karn's Puka form makes me wonder if he's supposed to be from some other branch of the Dragons, given the similarities with the Mutant/Punk in BoF4 and the Fusion gene in BoF3 (and the interaction with those dragon doors).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's clearly a pacing issue with getting Karn's penultimate fusion, only to be able to immediately get his last (and by far most powerful) fusion.

I don't remember the Spyre from BoF 3, now you have me intrigued. Even more for mentioning that you do plan to LP BoF 3 (and presumably 2) as well!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Torrannor posted:

There's clearly a pacing issue with getting Karn's penultimate fusion, only to be able to immediately get his last (and by far most powerful) fusion.

I don't remember the Spyre from BoF 3, now you have me intrigued. Even more for mentioning that you do plan to LP BoF 3 (and presumably 2) as well!

Think a little harder on that.
I immediately got what he was referring to by its description.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Karn's newest form screams "kill me". I might have pegged Karn as part of the Dragon clan, as he does a good job transforming into something not like a dragon.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Torrannor posted:

In theory, you're sacrificing 3 party members in a game where you can swap characters in battle in order to use that last form compared to 2 party members in all the other forms.

In practice, all three of those guys suck so let's stuff them all into Karn and see if we can't find some room for Mogu while we're at it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Let's be honest: It's not the first pacing issue in the game, especially when it comes to the fusions. I'm curious if they were a later idea in development they shoe horned in quickly. We are getting close to the end though! I want to say another 10-12 episodes at most, but that's a rough guess.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Karn's newest form screams "kill me". I might have pegged Karn as part of the Dragon clan, as he does a good job transforming into something not like a dragon.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Karn's Puka form makes me wonder if he's supposed to be from some other branch of the Dragons, given the similarities with the Mutant/Punk in BoF4 and the Fusion gene in BoF3 (and the interaction with those dragon doors).

I've wondered if Karn's line is a distant off-shoot of the dragon clan as well, but I don't believe the series ever actually gives an answer. The fusion ability was so popular in this entry that they did try to implement it in other ways in the series, which only muddies the water more.

I do believe the dragon seals were placed by the thieves, not the dragon clan though. Inside are very powerful relics they possibly stole or hid when they were being hunted down. The only way to open the door is with one of their most secretive techniques, which only the Thieves Clan can use. Not a bad lock and key system considering the circumstances.

Torrannor posted:

You don't remember? Your best friend would be very disappointed in you...

My current LP plan after this is to cover Monster Hunter World. Been having a lot of fun with it, has some great mechanics n' beasties, and I've already done some pre-LP work including a summary teaser I put up on my channel. Very much want to do BoF 2 and 3 soon after. My brother's been hounding me to do Ogre Battle since he's a huge fan and loves my army methods, but don't think it would fit well with my current video style.

Had been hoping I could overlap this LP and my next. However, I just got a new job that's eating much more of my free time than I expected so trying to use it wisely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Scalding Coffee posted:

Hes a disney duck-dragon

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

My new job has me working 70 hour work weeks which hasn't given me much free time at the moment sadly. The LP isn't dead though! And I should hopefully have the next episode up within a week.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #27: Dream Sprites

Turns out the tower was a clever trap by Mote, used to capture anyone who would help out the town of Spring. To free ourselves and the others trapped within, we go to confront Mote himself only to discover he's in full control of this realm. But perhaps we can find an unusual ally to help us against him...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I do apologize for the delay between the latest episode. Working insane hours was detrimental to me in more than a few ways and I needed some time to ground myself again. Should hopefully be more regularly with my releases again after this!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

As a kid, Mote's Dream World was the bane of my existence. I stalled out there so many times, and of course, being about 12 and in the days before Internet FAQs were universally accessible...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Good thing your character is always facing forward when the world turns or this would be intolerable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you still here?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Probably still busy with work, but I would also greatly appreciate a status update. There's no rush to resume updating again, if the OP is busy, then they're busy. I'm just worried about the OP and the LP.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Yeah, I've had real life just kicking my arse lately including a funeral this weekend. I've got the next video practically done and hoping to post it within the week. I really want to get it back in gear since we're getting to some of the bigger end game stuff soon.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #28 - It's About Time

Our journey takes us to the town of Carmen which has been frozen in time by Cerl. A man in the village arrived after the time stop like we did, and it seems he knows her as a childhood friend! We head to the Tower of Tock to confront Cerl, only to be caught in her magic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That certainly is a spin on an old gimmick. Maybe the game was a trial run of ideas and they just settled on annoying mini games that waste your time.
Went back to BoF3 and failed again to impress D'Lonzo.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #29 - Cerl's Story Arc

Alan has close ties to Cerl from their childhood, and we do our best to remind her of that. She retreats to her personal fortress where we confront her again, but at what cost?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't remember this part at all. We're probably in the past or the future, I'm really looking forward to how this continues.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I question how civilization has not collapsed under all these godly artifacts. There isn't a fantasy nuke situation with any of these keys, it is all global scale power.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I don't remember this part at all. We're probably in the past or the future, I'm really looking forward to how this continues.

The party is currently in the present. What happened to Nina is another story...

Scalding Coffee posted:

I question how civilization has not collapsed under all these godly artifacts. There isn't a fantasy nuke situation with any of these keys, it is all global scale power.

You do seem to need both the key and a device to get the maximum effect. Curious if the machines are all just amplifiers for any key or if they're key specific (though would seem they are matched). And you never do see the keys used very long distance, but that's likely just for keeping storylines contained. It is hinted early that the quake machine could hit globally.

We do have the habit of showing up just in time though. One of these in a secure location, used my someone with some real motive and purpose, and backed up by a group like the Dark Dragon Clan could do a lot of damage.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It seems the creators were smart enough to have some protection from abuses, as that robot performed as it did.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Episode #30: Air Miles

With time unfrozen in Carmen now, we talk to a unique doctor who sends us on a world fetch quest to get the ingredients to cure Nina. Luckily, the potion works as ordered and Nina rejoins the party; But with a new ability that lets us collect even more insane loot!

New Music

Flying

Despite being so close to the endgame, we've still got more new music to come!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Have to say, Nina suddenly being able to fly was a bit of an rear end pull. One amusing thing I noticed, there was just that one sentence of "I can fly now", but no detailed screen with "press x to engage fly modus", or any of that poo poo. That kind of design wouldn't fly today.

The dragon shrine fights are strangely underwhelming, that's true. Not that BoF1 is known for complex boss fights anyway. It would still be better if the enemies were some kind of ghost dragons or whatever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game sure has designs like it belongs in an older era. The level-ups sure don't feel that way.

I take back what I said about fishing in BoF3, I can't stop fishing for stuff and I am doing the Rebalance Mod on the side.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Have to say, Nina suddenly being able to fly was a bit of an rear end pull. One amusing thing I noticed, there was just that one sentence of "I can fly now", but no detailed screen with "press x to engage fly modus", or any of that poo poo. That kind of design wouldn't fly today.

The dragon shrine fights are strangely underwhelming, that's true. Not that BoF1 is known for complex boss fights anyway. It would still be better if the enemies were some kind of ghost dragons or whatever.

The lack of tutorials and was pretty surprising looking back at old games. You got an instruction booklet and better be happy they gave it to you (*coughStartropicscough*)! Even though she's old enough to naturally fly now, there should have been some kind of moment where she suddenly realizes it instead of blurting it out too.

There's a few bosses like the eye or dream moth that have some neat traits. Saving even a minor version of those for the shrines would have been a nice change up.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The game sure has designs like it belongs in an older era. The level-ups sure don't feel that way.

I take back what I said about fishing in BoF3, I can't stop fishing for stuff and I am doing the Rebalance Mod on the side.

Fishing in BoF3 always started slow but gets really fun once you can actually catch bigger stuff. It's one of those mini games that can be surprisingly addictive at times. Part of me really wants to skip BoF2 to get to the real meat and potatoes that is 3, but I'd really like to discuss some of the elements from that game. And I'm hoping to work on it in the background during Monster Hunter if all goes well.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Please don't skip BoF2, I remember that game very fondly and even as a kid I could see the quantum leap in quality between it and the first game. I mean, I know all games were like this back then, but it's still pretty amazing to see how bare bones Breath of Fire 1 is. In BoF2 I clearly remember characters having personalities and their own story arcs, and there being villains with clear motivations beyond, "Haha, I'm evil!" *transforms into a palette swapped toad boss*

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There should be a mod to reduce the grind in that game and a better translation as well. I heard about the localization being terrible.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

In BoF2? Hell yes, it's terrible. A big improvement gameplay-wise over the first, but the original translation, yeesh.

And having played through relatively recently, I didn't need to grind at all except for a few spots near the beginning.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I think there is a mod for a better translation for 2, for the ROM hack at least.

It was sorely needed, about 5 times I've played the game and each time I had to sit through the long bits of text where they explain the shaman system multiply times because I forgot the Yes and No options somehow got swapped when it was translated.

How did they even do that?

TheKirbs fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 20, 2019

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

From what I've heard, old translation practices weren't exactly the greatest. They'd basically get a spreadsheet with all the dialog, and not much context, and not a whole lot of time to translate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does BOF2 have the worst iteration of the Dragon system?