Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Jesus, that is one terrible boss. If I had gone into this fight with my modern expectations of an RPG, I'd think I was missing something. He takes way too long to kill, hits way too hard and unless he's scripted to not do that somehow, could have killed you at any point when you were below half health with another Thunder spell. Were you just lucky every time you decided not to heal?

Also, no save point before the boss, that always kills a game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Thunder does 20 damage and the LPer always healed when Ryu got under 20 health, so there was in fact no danger.

And yes, this is a lame boss fight, but not really uncommon for this time. It was not unusual to face bosses whose only requirement to beat them was grinding levels (and/or cash for equipment upgrades) beforehand. We've come a long way in game design since then.
But this game came out after Final Fantasies 4 AND 5, both of which are insanely far better about having sensibly designed bosses with gimmicks that don't require you to grind at all, give you at least two party members at the start, a bunch of tactical options...

Though I might have misread the health bar/values during the fight.

TheKirbs posted:

One thing I hated about this game was that boss's health bars lied to you, you'd reduce the bar to nothing and they'd keep going.

It's why I hated Zog so much, you had to do more damage to 'finish him' than he had in his entire bar.
Yeah, that is an absolutely idiotic design decision as well. Why even have the bar at all, then? Most RPGs don't bother if they want to keep players guessing. Or they tell you for normal monsters but not bosses.

By the way, for all I think the game does really dumb poo poo at the start, it's no reflection on the LP - I'll gladly keep watching, you're doing a good job with editing and commentary!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Most games would give you that broken attack item much later in the game where it is less than useful. This is admitting that early encounters suck.
There is so many of them oh my God

And Nina only got a single level from that forest? This game's balance seems...pretty good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think you could start cutting out encounters entirely instead of bothering with the speedups. The tenth time you see a group of two bugs and a spider wiped out with an E.Key and attack before they get a hit in really drags, imho.

You can still show new ones and those that give you level-ups, of course, but I think so much downtime with absolutely nothing interesting happening is not great to watch. It would maybe be okay if you had a co-commentator you could shoot the poo poo with, but you're often silent for a minute, and in that minute, you fight three samey encounters and that's it. When you ARE commenting, you're doing a good job, and you're showing off the game well, but it's getting kind of a drag tbh.

EDIT: They should have sent Soldier 1 to get help instead, he's way faster

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 7, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think the hitters hit hard enough (that is, the Key still one-shots entire groups), but it's simply a LOT of attack and death animations playing with just a few steps in-between. Auto-battling everything with little consequence would make it a bit easier on the hands, but barely speed up battles, all the attacks still have to play out after all. In fact, if every encounter is trivial enough to be auto-battled, that makes the game even WORSE.

It's actually an interesting problem to think about: how to even make random encounters not terrible? There's a few solutions to the problem:
- not random: map sprites you can run away from, dodge or interact with at your leisure (Chrono Trigger)
- every encounter could be A Rare And Awesome Thing You Want (Pokemon)
- you can just turn them off (Bravely Default)
- battles are not actually hard, but the real challenge is figuring out how to do them the fastest with your awesome skills (Final Fantasy V)
- every encounter is a tough challenge either for actual difficulty or to make it as quick as possible (Final Fantasy 13)
- there's something to do in every fight, and multiple rewards for winning beyond "XP". Example Final Fantasy 7: you can steal, you can get enemy skills, you can Morph, you can get hit to build Limits, then after winning, you get drops, and each kill also builds your limits so it's never wasted time to fight an encounter

BoF seems to take the worst and laziest approach: you barely do anything in battle except deal damage (so far at least, but I played a bit of BoF2 and that also didn't really change), you only get XP (but it's necessary to get a lot or you're underleveled), there's no way to mitigate the encounter rate, and the drops are rare and mostly crap (attack items excluded). I hope it'll get more interesting later - again, not a knock on the LP, I just find it baffling for an entry at this point of JRPG design to be this...barren.