Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Simply Simon posted:

Jesus, that is one terrible boss. If I had gone into this fight with my modern expectations of an RPG, I'd think I was missing something. He takes way too long to kill, hits way too hard and unless he's scripted to not do that somehow, could have killed you at any point when you were below half health with another Thunder spell. Were you just lucky every time you decided not to heal?

Also, no save point before the boss, that always kills a game for me.

Thunder does 20 damage and the LPer always healed when Ryu got under 20 health, so there was in fact no danger.

And yes, this is a lame boss fight, but not really uncommon for this time. It was not unusual to face bosses whose only requirement to beat them was grinding levels (and/or cash for equipment upgrades) beforehand. We've come a long way in game design since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It is. In stark contrast to BoF 2. The series has some trouble finding the right balance between having the dragon forms be overpowered or underpowered.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ah yes, fake urgency in video games. No sense of immediate danger for somebody would stop me from solving side quest or going treasure hunting, either!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How did she even know her father changed his mind?

"We'll release you for now" - Brix and co. kicked their asses, they were in no position to "release" or "hold" the party!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How do you even equip "Gills"?? You need to be born with them!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't like renaming well established characters :shrug:

At least this once, acting on the "emergency" rewards you with another character, which is nice. As for the flea market, that's early RPG design for you. Having a super low chance to get incredible equipment is just another form of grinding, if less reliable. I'm glad developers mostly did away with this nonsense (only to be replaced with lootboxes :cry:).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Karn's fusions really are one of the reasons he's a fan favorite. There's practically no reason to use a non-fused Karn anymore, unless you need a particular party member's skill and you don't have it in the fused form.

You can also see one thing that always annoyed me when I played the game, every cutscene automatically defuses you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't remember, does Nina have an exit spell here, or do you only get this spell in BoF 2 and later?

Furthermore, there was a way to sort your inventory, right? I would have put the Flame Saber in the very first place, to save a lot of clicking when having Nina use it in battle.

And yes, the sorceress is a... character. I'm looking forward to meeting her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You would think that constantly punching those crumbling walls would at one point lead to the roof coming down on you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How many episodes ago did we get the dragon whelp forms? Isn't it time that we get better versions? (I last played BoF 1 20 years ago, I absolutely don't remember when we get other dragon forms.)

I'm still irritated by the inconsistent naming of fry/thunder.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ah yes, this starts the BoF tradition of having overpowered equipment as rewards for playing the fishing game.

I swear I had no idea that we would get the next dragon forms this episode, I was just annoyed that we still hadn't progressed past the whelp forms. So we'll probably get a new Karn fusion somewhat soon, now that I'm writing about it :cheeky:

Alternate travel forms that avoid random encounters are very neat. Plus all the opening more routes on the overworld map stuff. Too bad we can't ride the giant fish on the ocean's surface, even though we could when we confronted the Dark Dragon fleet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ayndin posted:

I absolutely loved the poo poo out of BoF3's, but I think half of that was the ridiculous music. It did get you a bunch of decent stuff, though.

Yes, the music was a part of why BoF3's fishing game was so good. But it was also legitimately fun. Getting a new fishing rod so you can suddenly reach twice as far, reeling in the really big fish far out on the sea... it was just good. I think it's the only really fleshed out fishing mini-game that I ever enjoyed.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

BoF2 has a decent system, but getting items from it can be very frustrating. Which goes for a handful of things in that game. It's definitely an improvement from BoF1, but things like the chimes mini-game consumed too much of my time in a bad way.

I honestly can't even remember BoF2's fishing game. I do remember the chime mini-game, one of the worst parts of BoF2.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't even remember that form. Sometimes, game designers make very questionable choices.

Did Bleu leave our party here?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a crystal ball atop of her staff!

And you would think that Cort could have intervened while we cut down his flower. Why was he just standing there? He didn't even do the classic villain thing of siccing the flower on Brix and then leaving!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If Jade's lieutenants had coordinated their plans, then Cerl would have taken the Bolster as well.

How fresh were these Melons? How long have they been in that safe?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those were different times. As a kid, I was legit stuck at the "8 with the palm trees" puzzle in Final Fantasy adventure, and only progressed several weeks later after telephoning my older cousin for the solution. Today, you just google it.

You couldn't have that busted equipment hidden somewhere where you can get it early, the internet will instantly reveal it, and everybody will rag on your game for being too easy in parts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's clearly a pacing issue with getting Karn's penultimate fusion, only to be able to immediately get his last (and by far most powerful) fusion.

I don't remember the Spyre from BoF 3, now you have me intrigued. Even more for mentioning that you do plan to LP BoF 3 (and presumably 2) as well!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Probably still busy with work, but I would also greatly appreciate a status update. There's no rush to resume updating again, if the OP is busy, then they're busy. I'm just worried about the OP and the LP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't remember this part at all. We're probably in the past or the future, I'm really looking forward to how this continues.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Have to say, Nina suddenly being able to fly was a bit of an rear end pull. One amusing thing I noticed, there was just that one sentence of "I can fly now", but no detailed screen with "press x to engage fly modus", or any of that poo poo. That kind of design wouldn't fly today.

The dragon shrine fights are strangely underwhelming, that's true. Not that BoF1 is known for complex boss fights anyway. It would still be better if the enemies were some kind of ghost dragons or whatever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That dream ring bug is oddly specific.

I had a hard time figuring out how to use Agni when I first got it, because I never not used Karn in his fused form.

Jade's farewell was kinda strange. He was a bit underwhelming as the man behind everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, that final boss fight was disappointing. There's basically zero risk once you're in Agni form, it's just a matter of whittling down her HP and occasionally using a healing item. Very similar to the first boss of the game actually, only even less dangerous. It's a function of dragon forms being very overpowered in BoF1. The tradeoffs for more power with the higher mana cost maintenance in BoF3 feels much better. But we'll see BoF2's dragon forms first, which imho are just as bad as the ones in BoF1, just for different reasons.

I'd also not be surprised to learn that the devs/writers didn't work out the details and backstory of Bleu at this point, and just developed them over the next games.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 2, 2020