Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does BOF2 have the worst iteration of the Dragon system?

There is a reason for this. A plot-based reason for this. Is it enough of a reason to not make it a bit better than it is? No. But there is a very important, plot-based reason for why this is a thing they decided to do.

Also, saw someone say they don't remember the fishing in BoF2 and almost cried. It's what most SNES fishing games wished they could be and also what a lot of indie pixel games like to emulate even now. Is it the best? No. But it's decent and memorable. EQUIP LOD/BAIT

There is a well-translated version of the game, however it changes a lot of aspects of the game that make it rather dislikable (imo). One of those things is changing the windows to be hideous (the menu in particular looks horrible). Another is changing some of the character names. Yes, we know she's supposed to be called that but ffs, they could have just left her name as is. And the others who got 'fixed'.

That said, I do recommend checking it out anyway because apparently they also made some QoL changes too.

A bit more on-theme, I do like a lot of aspects of BoF1. It has a lot of charm despite its issues and some of the story segments are nice touches. It doesn't try to get too deep into things, whilst still throwing a few shocks your way, and that can be nice to just play through and breeze over. You're not going to be heavily invested in the story and characters like in the future games, but you still have a nice time playing. It's a good gate-way jRPG to reel people in and get them used to general jRPG systems. Maybe a bit weird at points, but cute and interesting and a bit different to a lot of games you find yourself playing nowdays. Just, fantasy world with various badass and cute animalistic peoples who are trying to help you save your sister and maybe the world while you're at it. Fun times.

I'm also making my way through the series streaming the games (finished 2 not long ago, taking a short break with Okami, then back to it with 3) and I was surprised at how well it held up despite being such an old game. Same as 2, which is one of my favourite games ever (and reaffirmed as such after replaying yet again, though this time with an audience XD), they're just surprisingly decent jRPGs with a fair amount of heart and charm. They do things a little different to shake up the FF/DQ formula of that time and it's easy to see why they became so well-loved and gained a cult following.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Is it sad that I still wanted to play BoF6 despite how terrible it probably was?