Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact about the Glooms by the way, those ghost-head enemies: Their graphic uses something SNES and GBA games love do to, and have a flickering effect that makes them look transparent. The downside, is that this effect only works at 60 FPS. Less than that, and the actual flicker effect is lost with the lost frames, resulting in them appearing either solid instead of the intended transparent, or worse, they appear to vanish entirely, and become straight-up invisible. The only game I'm primarily familiar with this from is the Fire Emblem GBA games, which make frequent use of it in Critical Attack animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

Ah, the Gremlin. When I played this game as a kid, this was always the most frustrating part. It definitely feels like the game truly starts once you beat him, although that's probably aided by the change in overworld music. One thing I always liked about the two SNES Breath of Fire games is that they weren't a typical "enemy is already established and is just waiting for you to fight back"-style games. The General was searching for the Ring at the same time we were, and took the Stone Robot after we left it behind, although I'm curious about how that works - does the robot only need the goddess key once, and then anyone can use it after activation?

I always figured we were idiots and left the key in the ignition.

But yeah, the Gremlin is absolutely the Wake-Up Boss, game's gettin' started, time to start paying attention and strategizing!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

the payoff for that one was so small I never bothered with it. It doesn't seem like I missed much

You really didn't. Boombada, deals non-elemental damage to all enemies equal to half their current HP, and doesn't work on bosses.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Raiad posted:

To be fair, Karn is basically half the party at this point. It's kind of funny that, in a game where you can switch characters around in battle, you need to fuse half of them into a single character for them to not be nearly useless.

Even worse, there is, sadly, actually never a reason to put Mogu into combat, mechanically speaking, unless you really want that guaranteed escape.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I assume/hope that "in this video" comment means you're gonna show off what happens if you *do* select yes at that question posed by Jade, my good man?