Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

One thing I hated about this game was that boss's health bars lied to you, you'd reduce the bar to nothing and they'd keep going.

It's why I hated Zog so much, you had to do more damage to 'finish him' than he had in his entire bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

thiswayliesmadness posted:

And the forest isn't set to the highest encounter rate either!

Oddly, each character has their own exp table. Nina's is built to skyrocket her to level 7 when she's on her quest. After that she literally has the worst exp table out of any character. It dips lower than Ryu's at levels 22-48 for some reason, and then goes nuts again. But overall, Nina's levels will be few and far between each other. If I had more free time, I'd graph out those exp tables since so many of the numbers feel like odd choices.

Note that the game doesn't tell you to use the key in battle. Most curious players would give it a go sooner than later I'd hope, but I get the feeling the game expects you to know about it by the time you hit the forest. I'd also be higher level if I was doing the normal player things like trying to mess with hunting animals too early or just trying to figure out where to go.

But I shouldn't make excuses for the early fights. Many of them really do suck. Early 1993 gaming!

Early fights suck until you can get the boomerang and start sweeping.

The first few times I played this I never knew you could use the keys. [spoilers removed by OP request - crow] :cripes:. So much wandering around and going in and out of towns.

I honestly never noticed Nina not getting as many levels because she she never left my party except story reasons. She's just so useful to have with her heals and buffs, especially as this is the least frail Nina across all BOF games.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 1, 2019

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

You can't use the ultimate dragon form with a fused Karn.

I spent a year think my game was just broken when it was constantly greyed out after getting it.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

I think there is a mod for a better translation for 2, for the ROM hack at least.

It was sorely needed, about 5 times I've played the game and each time I had to sit through the long bits of text where they explain the shaman system multiply times because I forgot the Yes and No options somehow got swapped when it was translated.

How did they even do that?

TheKirbs fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 20, 2019

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

They're just spells that take all of your AP, will do a fixed max damage if your AP was full (welps do 256, adults do 512 and giga/Kaiser does 999) otherwise it does a pitiful amount. The different elements are purely cosmetic as they'll always do the same damage not matter what is used.

If you build Township with the normal houses and use its restaurant to create a large amount of wisdom fruits you can spam them pretty well otherwise they're not much use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Yeah my version removed the lip and just made him really tan instead of black.

Does explain why his sprite is grey in his cameo in BOF2. Doesn't explain why Bo's sprite was also off colour.