Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think the high encounters are to get you more healing items (and stones) if you were too cheap to buy enough. Until you beat that soldier, your levels didn't seem that impressive and you got two levels from two bosses that gave you a bunch of stats.
Maybe you should have everyone be in back and use the key on encounters.

I've always kind of wondered if that was added in to make the Nina segment easier, since it really does. I have Nina use that key when she's not healing for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

I think you could start cutting out encounters entirely instead of bothering with the speedups. The tenth time you see a group of two bugs and a spider wiped out with an E.Key and attack before they get a hit in really drags, imho.

But that's the authentic Breath of Fire experience! Although I would say this period when none of your hitters are very hard hitters is probably the worst part.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It does.

The item drops actually do improve later, this part in particular is just kind of a drag.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ah, the Gremlin. When I played this game as a kid, this was always the most frustrating part. It definitely feels like the game truly starts once you beat him, although that's probably aided by the change in overworld music. One thing I always liked about the two SNES Breath of Fire games is that they weren't a typical "enemy is already established and is just waiting for you to fight back"-style games. The General was searching for the Ring at the same time we were, and took the Stone Robot after we left it behind, although I'm curious about how that works - does the robot only need the goddess key once, and then anyone can use it after activation?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

thiswayliesmadness posted:

We got our whelp forms waaaay back at the start of Episode #9; Right after the Stone Giant jumped into the volcano. I've actually passed by the next dragon shrine (it's hidden off to the left between the 'Gate' Dark Dragon base and the GrimFowl Forest), but the guard there won't let us in without showing him an ancient artifact we don't have yet. You're right though. We're more than due for new forms and that will change *very* soon.

A lot of the naming conventions they went for are unusual. Part of the reason I like showing off enemies original Japanese names. As someone mentioned in the comments, even how they handled elemental damage is odd.

Which is interesting since so many of the damage calculations for melee and such include a lot of random adjustments. Magic resistance and magic damage in general seems to be done in a much more basic manner.

3.5 and 5.5 are indeed quake spells! 3.5 does the exact same thing as our earth key (30 damage to all enemies), while 5.5 hits all enemies for 50 damage.

I think the implication is they're measured on the Richter scale, thus why there's seemingly arbitrary numbers for earthquake attacks.

Also, Bleu is goddamn awesome. On the one hand, it's a shame it takes so long to get her, but on the other hand, she already makes the game fairly trivial when she joins the party, so it's maybe for the best?

What's interesting is that her level seems to be capped at 41. To get to level 42 takes double the EXP that it took to get from level 1 to 41, so they must have done that on purpose. There's a lot of strange decisions in this game.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I believe there is another fusion coming up! I won't say anything else, but it is comical how much ultimate equipment is garnered through the fishing points. Although I'll give this game credit for having the only fishing mini-game that isn't abominably tedious.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the payoff for that one was so small I never bothered with it. It doesn't seem like I missed much

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I always wondered what the point of that fusion was, given that it's obtained too late to be particularly useful. You don't have any reason to go underwater by now.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

This game went to some weird places, definitely.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rest in hell, Cort. The guy seems built up to be like Kefka and failed getting anywhere.
The frog oil is basically promoting licking frogs.

Jade's lieutenants are built up like serious threats and only one of them turns out to be. Before the days of easy-access FAQs he gave me troubles for years.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

As a kid, Mote's Dream World was the bane of my existence. I stalled out there so many times, and of course, being about 12 and in the days before Internet FAQs were universally accessible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I just saw this and caught up and all I have to say is that while Brix transforming into a dragon is certainly flashy the numbers seem to be telling me that transforming into horrifying flesh amalgamations makes Karn the actual hero around here.

Yeah can dragon breath move massive stone plates? No, but Puka's putrid mystery air certainly does.