Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The first time I played this game I never really backtracked and picked up all that cool poo poo, but I definitely got them at this point on any replay after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I always hate it in RPGs when they force your party to run [and/or stealth] away from some dumb mooks that you can just casually slaughter without any effort.
Really, you probably could've just annihilated everyone on those three dark dragon ships without blowing up what is now was your boat.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 16, 2019

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

In a way I kinda miss the unpolished nature of old school rpgs. Like, it's really cool how this game allows you to find crazy overpowered stuff if you're paying attention and willing to explore, and understandably, games don't seem to do that much anymore. But it's also nice that you definitely don't need any of those overpowered items to get through this game.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

From what I've heard, old translation practices weren't exactly the greatest. They'd basically get a spreadsheet with all the dialog, and not much context, and not a whole lot of time to translate

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, the first few BoF games weren't the greatest by any means, but they do have some surprisingly cool ideas in 'em for their time.

I do appreciate the kinda quaint, relatively straightforward plot of the first game. It's got all the classic elements you'd expect from an rpg, with enough of its own unique flavor and twists to keep it interesting. It's understandable why it gets overshadowed by the other, flashier rpgs of the era, though. The first game does a lot of things pretty well, but it never quite reaches the point of being "great" at anything. It is a shame that the series seems to have fizzled away. The premise is interesting enough, and there's enough baked in lore and fanbase that they could probably still make a pretty cool new game if they had the right team on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I sadly get the feeling the BoF series will be shelved for 10ish years before we get the 'timely nostalgia' reboot. Dragon Quarter got a lot of mixed feelings with how much it changed up the system. BoF6 went the microtransaction MMO route, which really soured the hardcore fans and was apparently crap anyways. Waiting till people just forget about all the bad decisions they've made wouldn't be the worst route for Capcom.

Yeah, I didn't even realize BoF6 was a thing, but eesh, the "microtransaction MMO route" sounds like the worst possible route to take. No wonder I hadn't heard of it. Dragon Quarter is also a pretty interesting game, and it's pretty similar to the older games in that it's got some really interesting ideas, and in some ways a bit ahead of its time, but they still didn't quite pull their ambitious plan off. Quite the shame.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took the wrong message from BoF6 bombing. Instead of the obvious fact that "route" they chose is just awful, they probably blamed it on nobody giving a poo poo about the Breath of Fire series, which isn't entirely true.