Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i really disliked the lucasarts adventure game the dig as well becasue i paid 30 of my own drat dollars for it and it started off with an insane color matching ANd music puzzle fuuuu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PC)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I cant remember which one I played first, but it has to be either teenage mutant ninja turtles and ghostbusters for the NES

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Wait actually I distinctly remember- only a few years before that- being really excited when the neighbor kids got a Super Scope, only to get really bored playing Yoshi’s Safari. I think we had more fun running around the house pretending to kill each other with it than we did actually using it with a SNES game.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
playing Superman (atari 2600) over my cousin’s house was really disorienting, but I still put like multiple hours into it so i was definitely too young to hate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

I cant remember which one I played first, but it has to be either teenage mutant ninja turtles and ghostbusters for the NES

Oh drat TMNT is a good one. I guess it counts if you keep trying to play it because you rented it for a week but still hate it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I'm thinking there was never a NES or SNES game I played that I just hated so now I'm trying to think of which N64 game. Superman comes to mind first and probably would have been one of the first ones I rented because of how cool I thought the boxart was. I might have hated Quest 64 but my mom liked it.
I rented Shadowgate 64 once, thinking it was going to be some sort of RPG dungeon crawl, and got really mad at it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
sonic heroes .. which incidentally was the first sonic game i played. so im not a huge sonic fan even though ive played the 2d ones since. well, i had a happy childhood so maybe its just fate

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

i really disliked the lucasarts adventure game the dig as well becasue i paid 30 of my own drat dollars for it and it started off with an insane color matching ANd music puzzle fuuuu.

on the other hand that means it only got better after the bullshit start

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I rented Shadowgate 64 once, thinking it was going to be some sort of RPG dungeon crawl, and got really mad at it.

i bought that for $2 out of a bargain bin when the next gaming gen kicked off and actually enjoyed it more than the original shadowgate because it isnt full of bullshit deaths

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

i bought that for $2 out of a bargain bin when the next gaming gen kicked off and actually enjoyed it more than the original shadowgate because it isnt full of bullshit deaths
In retrospect it was probably a good game, but 8-year-old me couldn't appreciate it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

In retrospect it was probably a good game, but 8-year-old me couldn't appreciate it.

it wasnt

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Probably Tom & Jerry for the NES. The horrible maze levels with bad controls combined with the annoying music which changes tempo like every 8 beats and sounds like it's being played on a slide whistle made me hate it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Beast Wars on ps1

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I remember being really excited to rent Earthworm Jim 3D because I liked the first two and I didn’t know it had come out until I saw it at the video store. Now that I think about it, it’s still the absolute worst game I’ve ever played. Total garbage.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Batman Forever for SNES. This game is rear end.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Superman 64. I remember wondering if I was doing it wrong and that's why it was bad.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Also bought Opposing Forces but didn't own Half life and didn't know what expansions were so I wasted 60 bucks of 11 year old money which is basically 10,000 dollars in adult money

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Croc 2 for PC which I got at a book fair.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

GorfZaplen posted:

Croc 2 for PC which I got at a book fair.

croc of poo poo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

croc of poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

croc of poo poo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There was a lot of games where I know their garbage but I kept trying to like them, which I also don't count. Like when I got Gex 3 on PC and Trespasser and Silicon Valley.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Smurfs 2 for the SNES

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kongming posted:

Actually, I think the first time I ever played a game and thought that it was unplayable was the Sega genesis port of an old PC fighting game called Tongue of the Fatman. I think I played it for a total of 5 minutes before turning it off and never playing it again.

The cover for that game ftw

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

chameleon twist

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Zas posted:

chameleon twist

i liked that game. i also cheated to get to the last stage though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I couldn't figure out how to get past the first level of Ecco The Dolphin where you have to jump really high to trigger the alien attack and then my dad made fun of me for playing a game about "a little dolphin splashing around" instead of Desert Strike and it planted a seed of hate in me that day

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

mycophobia posted:

i liked that game. i also cheated to get to the last stage though.

it wasn't the worst of those kind of games, and i guess sunsoft made it? but yeah i was not happy with it at the time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mysterious loyall X posted:

This game made me rage too as a kid in the puzzle where you have to put the skeleton back together. And when you mess it up the main character says "drat. drat. Double drat." and my mom overheard and I got in trouble

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

This game made me rage too as a kid in the puzzle where you have to put the skeleton back together. And when you mess it up the main character says "drat. drat. Double drat." and my mom overheard and I got in trouble

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I've said this before but I got introuble when my friend and I rented Jak II and my mom saw a cutscene where Daxter gets horny and ogles tits while slugging a beer and she took the game away and I've hated Naughty Dog ever since.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SNES Rocketeer. Waste of a weekend rental. Didn't help the first stage was a practically unplayable racing game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Bill and Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure NES. My worst rental that I remember. What a piece of poo poo game and the AVGN episode is pretty much how I reacted to it as well.

Surprise rental that a lot of people hate that I liked, Nightshade for NES.

Givin fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 7, 2019

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

spiderman+xmen arcade's revenge on snes. horrible game, the kind AVGN would lose his mind over full of horseshit. oddly it had really good music but it was the first time I thought a game was outright really bad

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 7, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think it was kings quest 3

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I think I've said this before but I got introuble when my friend and I rented Jak II and my mom saw a cutscene where Daxter gets horny and ogles tits while slugging a beer and she took the game away and I've hated Naughty Dog ever since.

lmao

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Castlevania 2 which is the only one I had or had played for an extremely long time and it unfortunately soured me on what I assume was a pretty fun series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

im sure there was games i hated before it, but the first game i thought was so bad was funny was Rascal for ps1, an early 3d platformer that had tank controls instead of just copying mario

i had a demo disk of it and would pop it in for friends to show them how terrible it was and laugh

the guy who made it posted a video about it, apparently the publisher made them switch to tank controls because they thought Playstation kids wanted games that controlled like Tomb Raider, and it not only hosed the game but also broke their engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHCFMQIzzwo