Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.

Many years ago, there was a Pokemon RP group on Smogon. One of the users decided that they would make a game, to chronicle the events of the RP. This person, was Amethyst. This game, was Pokemon Reborn. She posed the serious question 'what if people said gently caress and poo poo and killed each other in Pokemon?' and so it happened in the fangame.
Like all ambitious projects, Reborn quickly gained traction in the fangame world, and Amethyst would continue adding new features and adapting RP drama into the game. Reborn was a game marketed on its difficulty, and one of the capstones of the game were the Field Effects. These served as a perfect metaphor for the game itself: a needlessly complicated feature designed to systematically break any sane individual who played it.
As controversial and, for want of a better word, awful as the game was, it gained many fans, one such fan being Jan.

quote:

Hello, my name is Jan! As you may have guessed, I am the creator of Pokemon Rejuvenation. Pokemon Rejuvenation was inspired by the popular fan game Pokemon Reborn. When I first played Reborn, I was blown away by the quality, the story, and the characters. Something Game Freak has only barely been able to pull off. (In their main franchises, anyway). So I am here to bring something similar. Something similar, but unique in its own way. That's what Pokemon Rejuvenation is about.
If you have seen the Reborn thread, you will understand how silly this statement is.

Rejuvenation will borrow everything from Reborn you'd expect a diehard fan to want: the aforementioned field effects and a major shortage of competitively useful items/Pokemon (though not to the extent of Reborn) to give opponents an edge over you always, customised shiny Pokemon and most importantly, a mature storyline.
The following LP will attempt to chronicle my adventure through Jan's world. If Jan's taste in Pokemon fangames is comparable to his game making, it may not be enjoyable. But, will Rejuvenation subvert my expectations and actually be a good game? Maybe! I genuinely hope so! Just know that the game is nowhere near as bad as Reborn, if you were coming here expecting an equivalent dumpster fire to Reborn.

What makes you qualified to LP this game?
Well, I'm glad you asked. I have an extremely high tolerance for bullshit in games (as well as a suspiciously large stock of rare candies). I've beat all of the main series, so I have decent experience with Pokemon mechanics. Apart from keeping my Pokemon at the appropriate level, you can assume everything I do is legitimate.

Will this be a 100% playthrough?
To the best of my ability/patience. The game has so much content to cover that it's pretty unlikely that I can cover all of that. If I miss something, it's probably not intentional.

Character Summary - There are a lot of them. There are of course spoilers!!!
Field Effects Guide - Because holy poo poo there's quite a bit to remember. This covers all the field effects (because I'm too lazy to continuously update it), including ones I haven't encountered yet, so click at your own risk!
Fan Art - I wish I reserved a post for this, but I honestly wasn't expecting art!

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Chapter 1: A'd be as heavy as L'orufogeo

So the game opens with a story, since we begin the game as a 6? year old.

Mood - Mystical
The music in this game is a weird mishmash of real Pokemon music and remixes. It'll often be pitched up or down, I can't easily replicate this without :effort:, so whenever a music file is linked, it's the non-modified version. For example, this one here is played a little slower and pitched down. Since I'm airing all my dirty LP secrets I'm also not going to put the diacritic é in Pokémon and related words, not necessarily because it's a difficult task, I'm just forgetful as hell. Sorry, truly.

???: Haha. alright, I will. "There was once a lonely Zorua living deep in the darkest forests. He was as mischievous one, transforming into other Pokemon and beings that lived around. He would often use his ability to trick others into handing over food, or using their homes to sleep in. Because of this, he didn't have many friends. I'm sure you can piece together why? But one day this changed when Zorua met a powerful Pokemon named "Pangoro". They were fighting over a rare and coveted golden apple. Many hours later their fight came to an end and no victor was revealed. They knew they were evenly matched. One could not take out the other. With both staring at each other intensely, they knew that they were destined for friendship. The two became quick companions. They were like two peas in a pod, if you will. They travelled the world together. Overcame hardships. Went on thrilling adventures..."
Life was good for the two of them... until one day Zorua went too far.

spook!" Zorua said. "It'll be my best prank yet!" Zorua said.

I'm not sure what kind of parent tells a story like that to their kids, but then again, there might be a reason so many characters in this game suck.

So while Pangoro left to find food, Zorua put his malicious plan into action. When Pangoro returned home, he was greeted with the sight of his dead mother. Paralyzed with a mixture of extreme emotions, Pangoro dropped his collection of food onto the ground. In that collection of food was...

???: a golden apple!

???: Haha, yes. That's right. A golden apple. When Zorua saw this he transformed back into his normal state, looked down at the food and said..."Hey! Where did you find this golden apple? It looks fresh and incredibly delicious!"

disappointment."

I honestly wouldn't put it past this game (or Reborn) if a Zorua does actually masquerade as a dead character for a giggle.

apologize. But Pangoro wouldn't hear any of it and ran immediately into the forest. Shaken and worried, Zorua ran after him, but Pangoro was nowhere to be found. Zorua realized that he repelled his only friend with his selfishness. And Zorua became lonely once more.

And that's the end of the story. I think this is supposed to hit home the fact that this is indeed a mature game, as there are no happy endings.

What a didactic moral "don't masquerade as your best friend's deceased mother otherwise you'll be really unpopular". It's good to teach em early.

The first thing I do is aggressively set the text speed to fast. There is a lot of dialogue in this game.

Music - Calming

The word music is like, part of the title, so that's how I'll display them for consistency. The music here gives a feeling of stability and is quite nice. Stability isn't exactly a staple of fangames for some reason, I don't see this one turning out any differently. Anyway, you can interact with some of the stuff in the room for some additional flavor text but no tangible reward. The storybook from before is on the desk, you can smell the flowers and I've already lost interest. Next!

It's kind of weird that the writer goes out of his way to characterise the 6 year old as intelligent, but she still displays as much insight and agency as most fangame protagonists i.e. none.

Well every journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, here goes.

By interacting with the portrait, you can get a better look at it. Generally speaking, the art direction in this game is fantastic, and we'll be seeing plenty of really nice looking maps and sprites. So far, the game's given me a solid first impression. Anyway the dad isn't smiling, so he's clearly evil/morally grey.

We can go into this room. I'll go down the stairs despite the game telling me not to.

I'm surprised I didn't get jumped by an Absol.

I eventually tire of aimlessly wandering and go and get dad who shouldn't exist in Pokemon???. He goes to call me something else, which must be foreshadowing something. I talk to mom and get told to go to my room. I'm kind of out of options, so I guess that's where I'm going.

Mood - Whimsical

Immediately, all pretenses that the game will be normal are shattered, along with some windows I believe. I was enjoying a cast of mentally stable individuals. :(

There's this person in our living space and mom is nowhere to be seen.

How many times are you going to make this little girl suffer? How many times are you willing to put her through this chaos?

This apparently isn't the girls first rodeo.

Thank you for asking so I don't have to.

??? I'm not talking to you.

Maria: O-oh... well... do you know where my parents are?

Remember what I said about the character not being overly bright? If there was smashing glass and an intruder, I don't think I would trust them, but what do I know?

???: They're downstairs.

Maria: I'm going to go to them now!

???: Maria.

Maria: Yes?

???: No matter what happens. Don't you dare lose hope. Don't lose who you are and don't you dare forget what's about to happen. You understand?

citamginE - gnileeF

ok just let me smell these flowers so I can calm down...

Ah, much better.

What was I - Oh no mom is in peril!

Yeah so I've been teleported somewhere and everyone keeps telling me to go to the east wing and talk to dad. I don't like where this is going.

Feeling - Enigmatic

Just know that the next few events play out with an EDM theme superimposed over it.

Why can't anyone tell me what's going on?

There is dad. He is about to sacrifice a maid. Did I say that this game is hardcore???

Maria: Where's my mom?

???: Mommy is sleeping with our lord now, Marianette.

Maria: Stop calling me Marianette! Its Maria!

???: What is with this disrespect? Your name is no longer Maria. Now as I was initially planning to do.

Maid: No need for explanation sir. Demonstration may be the key to this girl's mind.

???: Hmph, very well.

He spouts some religious jargon, which I think is Latin.

She won't need to suffer the calamity that soon befalls this earth. Maids, bring Marianette to the alter.

So I translated this line on respected language authority Google translate, and apparently it translates to A'd be as heavy as L'orufogeo in Indonesian, so... uh. hmmm. Anyway the screen fades to black.

The music cuts out. I don't think Maria is in heaven. I think Maria has been transported to a place worse than hell.

Welcome, to Pokemon Rejuvenation.

Next Time: I might actually get my starter!

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 12, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

You must be mad. Why would you suffer through this after seeing what OFS is going through? :stare:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
What the gently caress.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
:psyduck:

Even if this will inevitably be terrible it's mindbogglingly hilarious with that opening.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's, uh...that's a start alright. We'll see where it goes but at least it seems Maria here has an actual reason to exist in the story unlike Raven, so that's an improvement over Reborn. That...does not give me as much hope as I wish it did.

Talking about Reborn, you may want to check out the thread's title, Pugnacious Doggie. You kind of went with the wrong fangame. Also, you posted an image but you never linked to this thread in the LP thread.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about Reborn, you may want to check out the thread's title, Pugnacious Doggie. You kind of went with the wrong fangame. Also, you posted an image but you never linked to this thread in the LP thread.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out! They're so similar in terms of edginess they're basically interchangeable. oh god how do you change it?

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 7, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ask a mod, I think.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

Oops, thanks for pointing that out! They're so similar in terms of edginess they're basically interchangeable. oh god how do you change it?

Patched up the thread title for ya.

Also, what

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Fedule posted:

Patched up the thread title for ya.

Also, what

Thank you! God for a moment there people could have thought I was playing Reborn and that would have been embarrassing. :(

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 7, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh gods why

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

iospace posted:

Oh gods Arceus why
:colbert:

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
I sense great things ahead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well gently caress, if I'll suffer with OFS, I might as well suffer with you too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kyrosiris posted:

Well gently caress, if I'll suffer with OFS, I might as well suffer with you too.

:same:

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

gently caress me there's going to be 18 gym leaders and an Elite 8. I'm not making GBS threads you, there's an Elite 8

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm not making GBS threads you, there's an Elite 8

Oh boy.

And I bet you still don't get any healing between the first four and last four, either. :allears:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What's that you say? A chance to be part of two trainwrecks at once? Count me way the hell in, I'm already broken inside from Reborn anyway.

This opening is very promising.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress me there's going to be 18 gym leaders and an Elite 8. I'm not making GBS threads you, there's an Elite 8

What is this, the NCAA?

Malleon
Apr 25, 2017

So I translated this line on Google translate, and apparently it translates to A'd be as heavy as L'orufogeo in Indonesian, so... uh. hmmm. Anyway the screen fades to black.

I'm Indonesian and it doesn't make sense to me either. I do know why Google Translate translated it that way, though; seberus sounds like seberat, which indeed means 'be as heavy as' in Indonesian.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Black Robe posted:

This opening is very promising.
We haven't been introduced to the protagonist yet.

... ha
Speaking of which, what should I name the MC? I was thinking Personage or Individual, but am open to suggestions. Here are the sprites:

Personally I'm sold on Trainer 1, he looks as dead inside as I will be by the end of this.

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 7, 2019

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Malleon posted:

I'm Indonesian and it doesn't make sense to me either. I do know why Google Translate translated it that way, though; seberus sounds like seberat, which indeed means 'be as heavy as' in Indonesian.

There's a good chance I'm reading into this too much, and its literally gibberish they made up to simulate a ritual. :iiam:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

... ha
Speaking of which, what should I name the MC? I was thinking Personage or Individual, but am open to suggestions. Here are the sprites:

Personally I'm sold on Trainer 1, he looks as dead inside as I will be by the end of this.

I'm diggin' trainer 5. She has the same expression I do right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SSNeoman posted:

I'm diggin' trainer 5. She has the same expression I do right now.

Agreed

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

The unholy trinity is complete at last. Praise be to Lord Arceus!

(also seconding Trainer 5 for Reasons™)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

... ha

Trainer 3, the :ironicat:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
3 looks like he is having a great time with all this murder, pick that one

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, let's go with Trainer 3. No thoughts on the name.

to the best of my knowledge, it isn't based on real life events like Reborn

This is a great relief to me. It shouldn't have to be, but Reborn has made me aware that such a thing is possible.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

. . . Man what.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Trainer 5, because she has the expression of 'was that what you call a sacrifice?'. Is this game finished though, unlike that which should not be mentioned?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I was going to say Trainer 2 but I don't think that'll win so let's go Trainer 5

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Eeepies posted:

Trainer 5, because she has the expression of 'was that what you call a sacrifice?'. Is this game finished though, unlike that which should not be mentioned?
Pretty sure it isn't, so I can breathe easy knowing I don't have to fight an elite 8. Yet.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, I honestly have to vote for Trainer 5 on that expression alone.

Also, hurray, ground floor for yet another trainwreck of a pokemon game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Trainer 6. He already looks as disgusted and pissed off with the game as I suspect everyone reading this thread will be by the time it's all over, so get in on the ground floor with it already.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mersenne posted:

The unholy trinity is complete at last. Praise be to Lord Arceus!

(also seconding Trainer 5 for Reasons™)

The trinity isn't complete until we get a Snakewood LP. :colbert:

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Vandar posted:

The trinity isn't complete until we get a Snakewood LP. :colbert:

no, please no.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Don't you dare lose hope"

Wow, that's something you'd never hear in Reborn.
Almost makes me think this wasn't inspired by Reborn.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

It is the face of someone who is utterly hardened to this crazy poo poo.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I played like two hours of this before deleting it and even that was frankly kind of buckwild.

I think the only nice thing I can say about it is that a lot of the map design I saw was pretty good-looking, even if it's not actually good to walk through at all. There's a cool parallax effect in the first intro area I guess. I'm excited and vaguely worried to see more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Oh boy. I can't wait to see how this goes.

Also Trainer 5, definitely.