Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The TVTropes pages for those two are hilarious because they were written by the kind of lovely edgelords that actually enjoy these games so any moment of praise (and there's a lot of them) is clearly not something that should be praised and deserves contempt instead.

Yeah, I breezed the TV Tropes pages for both games last night on a lark and both just stunk to high heaven of trying to put the best possible spin on a pair of utter dogshit games. Or at least trying to downplay a lot of the :stonk: moments in each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yay! I get to follow not 1, not 2, but 3 edgy Pokemon fangames at once!

Ahhhh, I'm fundamentally broken as a person.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
three?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Reborn, Rejuvenation and Insurgence.

Though really Insurgence doesn't count, it's making fun of its own edge not slashing its wrists on it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Insurgence is a beautiful child and I will not have it lumped in with these other two bullshit games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChrisBTY posted:

Insurgence is a beautiful child and I will not have it lumped in with these other two bullshit games.

For good or otherwise, the Insurgence LP was born from the Reborn one so it'll keep being compared to the other fangames.

In Insurgence's case every single comparison only makes it look better though, because it's a work of love and passion from someone with a sense of humour instead of an edgy take on a franchise the creator hates that exists entirely for Patreon money.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I actually love that that's how it came about.
Because without Reborn to compare it to, Insurgence would probably have gotten thrashed the same way Uranium did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ChrisBTY posted:

I actually love that that's how it came about.
Because without Reborn to compare it to, Insurgence would probably have gotten thrashed the same way Uranium did.

I'd say it's a step above Uranium, but Uranium is not a high bar to clear and somehow Reborn tunnels under it. Is Insurgence edgy? Yes. But is it legitimately funny at points and honestly tries to be a good game? Also yes. Is it good? Eh, I wouldn't say it's as good as a main series game but it gets an A for effort in a lot of ways. It also has a couple good QoL things, like the Audino trainer and such.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Also, does it have quite a few of bullshit trainers? Yes. But does it give you options to tackle them? Yes. Does it also have an Easy mode so you don't have to face with that bullshit if you don't have to? Yes. Does it have a Hard mode for the masochists? Yes.

This alone puts Insurgence miles above Uranium for me.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
Last time, we were privileged enough to see three live sacrifices to Arceus, as well as learning nothing valuable about the plot. Get used to that feeling. Today, we meet Arceus, the child of a pop star, and the arguable protagonist of the game.

Keep Marching On

So this is the prompt for the character selection in the game and we are greeted by this face. I genuinely can't put my finger on it, but there is something deeply unsettling about this portrait. Perhaps it's the dissonance of her smile and a girl getting ambiguously vaporised offscreen.

Hello, my name is Amanda! I am the scout and manager of the Aevium league! it is my duty to get newborn trainers like you out the road and ready to go! Before we continue with that business, a little history wouldn't hurt anyone! The land of Aevium is famous for its difficult challenges and wide variety of Pokemon! You are familiar with Pokemon, correct? Humans and Pokemon need each other to grow as one community! That's where battling comes in! But before you get to battling, you'll need to register and all that jazz, so let's just continue with that.

The controls are easy enough to figure out, and can be configured to your preference, so no. I might also add that the game has a fast forward button, which will prove more valuable than any Pokemon companion could ever be. A text skip also exists, which I will use liberally.

Great! Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about Aevium League's expectations and requirements.

compete at the Pokemon League!

...great.

Right, the level cap. Like Reborn, the game has this bullshit system where any Pokemon you have, even your starter, irrespective of friendship and the experiences you've shared, will immediately disobey you when they get outside the level cap. Let me explain. In the canon games, you can receive Pokemon in trades. Whether or not they listen to you depends on the amount of badges you have. If you don't have enough badges, the traded Pokemon can disobey you. Rejuvenation takes this further so that every Pokemon disobeys you if they exceed the cap, even if you were the one to catch them. In all fairness, it's impossible to exceed the level cap because you stop getting exp when you reach it. This is problematic because lots of important trainer will start exceeding the cap while using highly overtuned teams, and there's not a thing you can do about it!

I'd go further into that, but we'd be here forever! I'm sure someone will explain it to you eventually.

Given how important and game breaking this mechanic is, you'd better have a really good explanation.

Now, lets get your trainer card set!

Anyway, what you've all been looking forward to, our character. As you already know, we get a choice out of six possible trainers. Much to my chagrin, no-one voluntarily voted for trainer 1, but trainer 5 won by a landslide. So we get to pick...

... what

Who the gently caress is this? What happened to the old trainer 5??!! Also if you're wondering about the name, it will be changed in this update, but not immediately because I thought it was funny. (I kind of started the game thinking no-one else was voting) Don't worry, this lovely impostor will also be replaced. It may even turn into an arc.

Not 100% sure what this does, better say no.

Mood - Relaxed

can print out your trainer card. Okay, this will just take a quick second. Just please be patient. Now to enter all of your credentials...

This dialogue adds nothing to the game and only serves to extend the gameplay. You'll see a lot of this.

I cannot wait for the pointlessly long quest to resolve this issue!

So we begin the game on board a cruise ship. We are moving to the Aevium Region because we are and our mother is Yancy from Pokemon Black and White 2. This serves no real narrative purpose because no-one seems to recognise that Arceus is a child celebrity. :colbert: Also Arceus is a super fitting name because celebrities always give their kids weird names.

Whenever anything goes right in this game, it is probably going to be short-lived.

:Since you're done with registration, do you want to take a quick stroll with me?

We don't really take much of a stroll, rather we remain stationary and listen to Mom monologue.

:When the ship is close to docking at Gearen city, a feast will be held behind them. We still have quite some time before that point. So why don't you visit my friend Augustus? He's actually the captain of this ship. He used to be a powerful trainer back in his day, but he's retired now. I'm sure you can find some neat details about the Aevium region by talking to him. I know its been difficult ever since we left, but we mustn't become depressed. So you have fun okay? Explore and meet new people.
finished.

I'm not really sure what I've been doing on the cruise for the last six days, then.

And with that, I can explore and meet new people!

Again, people saying stuff like this is supposed to foreshadow future events, but it's not like I can't see what's coming.

Upon walking into this room, Arceus (currently Refrigerator) hears three people approaching and hides. The conversation is immediately suspicious.

aaand Arceus (currently Refrigerator) has stumbled upon a terrorist plot.

us. Let's separate now.

Refrigerator seems like a pretty apt name. Because there is nothing we can do about this. We can't report it or even find the explosives ourselves.

It'll get a lot worse when the ship is sunk by high-power explosives, but I will still not tell anyone.

Paul was trying to fix the healing machine because he didn't know the difference between it and a milkshake machine.

Exploring and meeting new people has sadly yielded very little.

Eavesdropping is immoral. I'm gonna do it anyway. :colbert:

Mood - Conniving

Crescent: Yes, come in.

MOM??!!! I think its kind of weird that I apparently don't recognise my mother's own voice at all. Weirder still, why they tried to make it a surprise by using ??? as an alias for Mom and then instantly reveal that it's Mom anyway.

: I know what you said about me before, but I genuinely feel fear.

Crescent: All I'm interested in hearing is you telling me you're ready to take this role.

Genuinely feel fear? Faux emotions? Sounds like Mom is a replicant.

Good, because I don't.

Crescent: I'm sorry its my fault really. I just didn't make your position clear enough from the beginning. Either your ready to fulfil your role, or you're no longer any use to me. you don't get the option to tell me if your ready or not.

: I think all I need is a little bit of time.

Crescent: Time is all you have left. Once we dock in East Gearen city, you're to go to West Gearen City and live normal lives.

You don't have to worry about that. I have no plans to do such a thing.

Crescent:Good. I'm glad to hear it. Now that were clear on what to do, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. The banquet is going to start soon and I need to get ready.

Well, that happened.

So after discovering a terror plot and implications that my mom probably isn't actually my real mother, there's not much for me to do, so I guess I'm heading to the captains quarters.

I'm not sure if that's meant to be Briney from Hoenn, but if it is, Peeko is not there. I hope it's not dead, or worse, Pelipper :(

Briney: How are you enjoying your voyage to the Aevium region? There's a lot to do in Aevium, so you'll never get bored. I've heard from your mother that you've been registered as an official Pokemon trainer? Do you know what that means for you? Well, even if you do know, I suppose I'll lay it all out for you anyway. Because the size of Aevium, there are more than your ordinary amount of gym leaders.

I know where this is going, but I'm still not happy about it.

:smith:

Briney: Pokemon also act slightly different in this region.

This is basically just a really mild way of saying Aevium's Pokemon are too proud to side with anyone who isn't a winner.

Of course.

The same can be said about this game's entire introductory sequence. :smuggo:

Briney: How about we head on downstairs and start this banquet. I'm sure all the guests on the ship are just dying of anticipation to see what we have in store.

Oh, they'll be dying alright.

Somewhere on my way back to the banquet, I get an achievement. I unironically think achievements are a really good way of encouraging the player to engage various gameplay mechanics (which we have seen none of), so its inclusion here isn't unwelcome.

No, sadly I can't take the easy way out.

I'm sure at this point, you must be waiting eagerly for trainer 5. I couldn't find any of the overworld sprites anywhere but I'm not discouraging anyone who wants to try, but at the same time, I realise that the voters only wanted trainer 5. So I compromised. Say hello to Arceus. Arceus has the ability to change forms with plates, so this is acceptable.

My job is to badly LP this game, not badly make art. Try to imagine a sparkling noise superimposed over the image transition. Dressed to impress, former Refrigerator Arceus decides now is the perfect time to go to the banquet.

Mom(?) catches up with us as well.

This marks the point of no return for exploring the cruise ship. I'm already done so we can hit yes.

Briney: It's my pleasure to host this lovely banquet on this magnificent day! This marks then end of our week long journey together.

It will, but not for the right reasons.

Briney: And perhaps we shall see each other once again! And with all that said, I'd like the banquet to commence!

And the descent into narrative hell begins.

??? We're going to need all of you to stay put and listen very carefully.

calamity none of you can afford. So lets just get through this nice and easy okay?

Again, all the surprise and tension from the scene is irrelevant, because
1. There were grunts discussing this
2. This is based off of Pokemon Reborn, so I expected no less.

Briney gives the appropriate reaction to this unexpected turn of events. It's a shame he didn't see this coming even though the protag was pretty aware of this, and thought it better to eavesdrop on her Mom(?) than notify anyone.

Please do.

The lady mom was conspiring with intervenes.

???: Dont make any funny movements! No-one's leaving this room you hear?
???: (even though her name was already revealed) ...Hmph.
???: I said don't move!
: Get them out of here right this instant!

Gothitelle has got me out of danger by teleporting me one floor up on the now-sinking ship, prolonging my life by about 30 seconds. Thanks.

She's talking about the things in the floor. I think they're Deoxys.

Again, talking to the captain is the only way to progress the story. He tells us to talk to some guys trying to bail water.

I really like how the sprite turned out.

Everyone is getting captured by the initially non-hostile Deoxys. Who would've thought?

All that matters is were together again. This ship won't last very long, Arceus. Were going to have to abandon it. I have a Pokemon we can use to surf to shore, but as for the other people...

Yeah Gothitelle's rescue attempt was pretty half-assed.

I know the real reason that we weren't teleported onshore. We needed to witness more cutscenes and do absolutely nothing, while only gaining extremely vague hints about the antagonists motives!

It seems pretty obvious.

???: Perhaps that is a possibility, but that's not something I'm comfortable sharing. The only thing that matters is your apprehension.
: M-my apprehension?
Wh-what?! In all fairness, at least Arceus has a motive for pursuing the antagonist this time. Is is better to have no motivation or a really stupid one?
If all you wanted was me, then why go so far as to destroy the s.s Oceana?! You've endangered all of these innocent poeple who have no idea whats going on!

I really hope that the antagonists have a motive beyond evil.

: And if someone happened to get out? They would spread awareness.

???: Assuming anyone got out - which they won't - it wouldn't be too bad considering most people think were quite passive anyway. Its time people woke up from this dream of safety they have going on.

Much better, create villains whose only motivation is chaos. There's probably more to it, but we'll see in due time how dumb it can get.

: I'll be okay as long as I know you're safe and sound. That's all that matters to me.

Is this where I get my starter?

No.

Again Arceus does nothing to save themself.

Mood - Triumphant

In another world, where the game was more enjoyable, I might have liked PianoLady, but the game isn't enjoyable and she's only prolonging my suffering by saving me. :(

Goodbye PianoLady. I'll make sure your sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Arceus hits a brick wall yet again as she is incapable of putting up any kind of offence.

Luckily Arceus has mastered the dark art of getting someone else to rescue her when she's doing nothing while in peril.

Despite committing to sinking a cruise ship, pursuing someone who seems to be important is too much effort and they give up the chase.

Anyway, we reached Gearen City! :toot:

I refuse to believe that our protagonist actually can talk. Rather, I think that our saviour just received a premonition. Why else would the screen go black?

I just took a photo of this because of the weird formatting here.

Yeah, I just had a near death experience and my mom, who probably isn't my mom has just been kidnapped, but hell yeah I'll get a pet and go cockfighting. But while it pretends to be my friend, it actually despises me and is secretly fantasising Arceus giving them a rare candy to outlevel the cap, where it can then gently caress her over not out of necessity, but spite. Did I mention I don't like the level cap system? I have to be close to getting a starter now. It has taken 40 minutes (not in real time but the fast forward also accelerates the save time), and I'm just getting my starter. The pacing in this game is phenomenal.

Next Time: I get my starter for Real! I swear!

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 12, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A bait and switch at the character creation screen? Oh this is off to a rocking start already. I say stick with Not-Raven for the LP. It is suddenly a very thematic choice.

Rip OG Trainer 6. So preemptively angry at this game he erased himself from existence to get away from it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:mad:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

There are some parts where I think you doubled up images? But I can't be sure and wow that's not a good sign for the game. :psyduck:

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I'm guessing either trainer 5 and 6 pull from a small pool of possible portraits and only those two for some arcane reason, or the game bugged up and gave you portraits of completely unrelated characters that will get battle cut-ins due to being "important".

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Kyrosiris posted:

There are some parts where I think you doubled up images? But I can't be sure and wow that's not a good sign for the game. :psyduck:

:psyduck:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

iospace posted:

I'd say it's a step above Uranium, but Uranium is not a high bar to clear and somehow Reborn tunnels under it. Is Insurgence edgy? Yes. But is it legitimately funny at points and honestly tries to be a good game? Also yes. Is it good? Eh, I wouldn't say it's as good as a main series game but it gets an A for effort in a lot of ways. It also has a couple good QoL things, like the Audino trainer and such.

Can we have a Pokemon Fangame General where the weirdos who are insane enough to play the games can post about them and we can make fun of them.

That or a tier list of good pokemon games to bad including popluar fan games so that we can have Reborn Tier

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Great so we are discount-even-worse-looking-Raven

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Gridlocked posted:

Great so we are discount-even-worse-looking-Raven

Are you insinuating that I did a bad job on my resprites? :colbert:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

Are you insinuating that I did a bad job on my resprites? :colbert:

No I was insulting the character art that appeared after selecting portrait 5.

Your re-texturing is good.

Please replace it with a fridge sprite.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

In theory there a person who will change your sprite, maybe even at gearen lab? You can choose a new sprite there, and I think if you say no to the first choice they offer the older sprites to choose from? I don't actually know for sure though I don't want to replay the intro of the game to find out.

Edit: I think what happened is that we picked characters from the old ripped from Reborn sprites but the game now has new.... Still basically ripped from reborn sprites.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh, this is off to a fantastic start.

Hail our lord and saviour Discount Raven.

Why is Yancy our mother, of all people? (Foster mother, anyway.) I didn't remember who she was until I looked her up. Either pick a canon character people might recognise or slap a random name on a random sprite and call it good. Or follow Pokemon tradition and don't name her at all, X/Y is the only game to bother giving your mother an actual name as far as I remember.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beyond all the other complaints, what was the point of explaining the region and the stupid level cap twice? I'm pretty sure the first explanation was clear enough, Briney's added absolutely nothing. It only wasted time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blaze Dragon posted:

what was the point of [...] It only wasted time.

Think you might have answered your own question there.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh no not another one

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Beyond all the other complaints, what was the point of explaining the region and the stupid level cap twice? I'm pretty sure the first explanation was clear enough, Briney's added absolutely nothing. It only wasted time.

Immersion

Don't you feel immersed

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I like the idea of continuing with Not-Raven

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug

somehow Arceus looks like a tiny guy wearing a huge napoleon hat when they are looking to the right.

SOLarian fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 9, 2019

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

I just took a photo of this because of the weird formatting here.

If I recall correctly, this will not be the last time this poorly formatted line break will show up. Pretty sure there's loads of them between Rejuvenation and Reborn.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

SOLarian posted:

somehow Arceus looks like a tiny guy wearing a huge napoleon hat when they are looking to the right.

I think they're wearing a dolphin or shark plushie on their head :3: I'm going to keep confusing Team Xen with Team X-Men thanks to that name.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
...what?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Refrigerator is fine as she is, also, what the gently caress did just happen? I'm confused by that terrorist deoxys attack sequence.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh hey, Doggie didn't wind up posting Jan (The creators) introduction for Rejuvenation

quote:

Hello, my name is Jan! As you may have guessed, I am the creator of Pokemon Rejuvenation. Pokemon Rejuvenation was inspired by the popular fan game Pokemon Reborn. When I first played Reborn, I was blown away by the quality, the story, and the characters. Something Game Freak has only barely been able to pull off. (In their main franchises, anyway). So I am here to bring something similar. Something similar, but unique in its own way. That's what Pokemon Rejuvenation is about.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Onmi posted:

Oh hey, Doggie didn't wind up posting Jan (The creators) introduction for Rejuvenation

I was pretty tempted, but the existence of real people who could not only unironically finish Reborn, but actually enjoy it kind of freaks me out. It's pretty funny though, and I will put it in the OP.

That's a really good point though. While Rejuvenation was based off of the events of Reborn, there are some aspects of the game which I'll cover where we can see that Jan actually likes playing Pokemon and/or the designing process. Rejuvenation seems to be driven more by passion than money, and that alone makes me feel a little less bad about playing it. It's a real shame the plot and difficulty take such a sharp nosedive in an attempt to be mature and designed for hardcore fans. Rejuvenation is awful at face value because of this, but isn't egregious in every conceivable way like Reborn is. It'll be interesting to see if the main criticism comes from it adopting Rebornesque elements. Like if it was its own standalone game, do you think people would hate it all the more? Or does it attract more criticism because of how bad the reputation of Reborn is?

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 12, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

So this entire game is their subconscious shrieking for help?

Should be a fun ride.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

azren posted:

Yay! I get to follow not 1, not 2, but 3 edgy Pokemon fangames at once!

O'm just gonna quote this and let you know:
I'm rooting for you.

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

Oh sweet jesus we're doing another one of these. There is no god Arceus. What the hell was even happening in that Deoxys-terrorist-attack thing? Oh well, RIP Piano Lady. I say we dedicate the LP to her and her sacrifice.

I say stick with Bootleg Raven. She's perfect for what is essentially just bootleg Reborn.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

I was blown away by the quality, the story, and the characters.
To be fair, so were we.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Another one. There's another one. I- what? I'm not sure the world is ready for this. Also- what IS up with the sudden bait and switch? Did the game update the sprites as a reference without making new portraits or something?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like bootleg raven

I am horrified at what this game is doing while still trying to call itself a pokemon game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Fumbles posted:

Did the game update the sprites as a reference without making new portraits or something?

It didn't, but when you go to download Rejuvenation, by all accounts, it looks like version 10 is the most recent, when there was actually a version 11 released just before Christmas. A download for version 10 is still the first result and I just searched. The only reason I found out a version 11 existed was because I was trying to hunt down the sprites for Trainer 5 by searching for older versions of the game, because that was my direct assumption, but it was actually because they decided to update the playable characters for some reason. The LP footage is from version 10, but don't worry guys, I'll try my best to give a poo poo about the game when it updates next time. I replayed the intro to check if anything was drastically different, and I'll put any differences I spot in the next update.

Also, I'm kind of sad that my remastered discount Raven can escape from this game as xe no longer serves any purpose, but maybe it was for the better.