Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Motegi road course is the best bet since Honda owns it and also the less likely but way better Suzuka.

Oooof, I thought you said "way better than Suzuka" and almost typed a very angry reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SHORT

OVALS

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks for bringing up Milwaukee, now I'm crying

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should race at IRP

Oh hell yeah. A short oval race in Indianapolis? How would it not be a massive success?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should race at IRP

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Oh hell yeah. A short oval race in Indianapolis? How would it not be a massive success?

Ctrl+F "May"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone please answer Brainwrong, I barely remember last season because of the huge party I threw after Dixon won: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875388&perpage=40&pagenumber=60#post491828181

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

God help me, I'm already watching Indy 500 youtubes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The IndyCar "pass" is named as such because that's what I'm gonna do to the idea of spending $50 on content they used to provide for free.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wasn't referring to YouTube. NBC used to put all this kind of content on the NBC Sports app. Maybe that wasn't the case with IndyCar, but with the other sports they covered you had access to everything if you had access to a cable account. Now you have to pay for cable or YouTube TV or something to get NBC, NBC Sports, CNBC, etc. content, then pay a second subscription for the stuff they've decided to lock behind a paywall. I very much consider this to be going backwards.

The better example is the Premier League. NBC would air one or two games at a time on TV, and everything else would be free on NBC Sports Live Extra. All of those free games are now behind a paywall, and if you want to watch every game you have to pay for two services. There is no one service that covers it all. It is extremely, intensely stupid.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's fine if you only really care about IndyCar, I guess. If you watch a lot of sports and a lot of TV, these companies are now pricing streaming services to the point where it costs 2-3 times as much as it did with cable. There's no way anyone can afford all this poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What the gently caress ever happened to the aeroscreen?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of IndyCar and safety

https://twitter.com/robertwickens/status/1098264477852622848

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Champ: Rossi
500: Hinch

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's grade 2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is there a rule against "manufacturer" teams in IndyCar? Or could McLaren badge the Cosworth engine?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

there is a rule against that, and it's not like McLaren knows what the gently caress they're doing anyway

They hired Bob Fernley to run the team, they're well past the loving around stage

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Honda and Chevy are just adorable

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

why is this a bad thing exactly

The TV landscape in the UK is very different to the US. Putting IndyCar on a pay TV channel guts its audience.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JingleBells posted:

But it was already on a pay TV channel; BT Sport had it. Sky had the rights only about 5 years ago anyway - they'll still probably have the US feed, back then when you had ads they'd cut to the studio, but BT generally showed the raw footage with two UK presenters talking over it - generally asking viewers questions.

If anything it'll be better for people on Sky as they'll have F1 and IndyCar available as one - previously you'd need Sky Sports and BT Sport

Thanks, I could've sworn it was on a free to air channel before.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

McLaren is not going to build its own engines.

Neither does Chevy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Working from home, would love to be streaming practice. Too bad it's on loving NBC Sports Gold.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I put down the 50 for IndyCar Gold.

Why? Because I'm an idiot and I love giving the Hulmans, NBC my money for whatever loving reason.

My pantry is filled with Clabber Girl dude

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A.J. Foyt loses shoe in latest brush with death

quote:

IndyCar icon A.J. Foyt has revealed that an eventful offseason saw him encounter more trouble with bees and also suffer an incident with a bulldozer that required him to be rescued from quicksand.

The first ever four-time Indy 500 winner and seven-time Indy car national champion, who still farms his own land at the age of 84, has been attacked by African killer bees in the past and has also tipped his bulldozer over.

Now Foyt has revealed he endured more trouble in the last two months.

“A couple of weeks ago, I was going to get on my dozer and move a tree, and another guy said, ‘I’ll do it for you, A.J.’. I said OK because was doing some other stuff.

“Then I saw that bees attacked him. I was in another tractor with a closed cab and saw them chasing him and he was slapping at them and going backwards to get away. And I thought, ‘Man, I’m glad I’m not in that one.’

“He got stung pretty good – his face was swollen and he got a black eye. He was lucky they were honey bees, not killer bees, because he could get away from them.”

Foyt went on to describe another recent incident with his bulldozer that required him to be rescued.

“A couple of months ago I was digging on the edge of this pond at one of my ranches, and the dozer just slipped down,” he explained. “It was real muddy and I tried to go faster to get up and the machine just slipped further down.

“So I stopped before the whole thing went under. I had to have two guys help pull me out because I was in quicksand. I couldn’t climb out myself – and I lost a shoe!”

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

IndyCar coverage surprises me not because of the commercials. That's expected... it's an American sport in America run by the worst people to ever run anything: Americans.

But the loving decision to run 'special features' and pre-taped interviews or whatever DURING the god drat loving race is ridiculous.

ABC had these little clips they'd always cut to before and after commercials where the drivers were just like hanging out in abandoned warehouses wearing tuxedos. It always drove me loving insane. Why are you spending time and money shooting these clips when you are not making money from it? When you're just taking 30 seconds of the race away from the viewer? It's totally bizarre.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Has BMW ever had any presence in AOWR at all?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Idk what anyone expected, they have a million times less downforce than F1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I really like the idea of saying "we don't want to arbitrarily police track limits so we're just not gonna." If you're going to pave a runoff area the size of Mars you could at least make it super abrasive like Paul Ricard.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

to be fair, if Indycar was somehow faster than F1, then F1 fans would poo poo talk indy for being too fast. Just learn that you can never win with euros.

They do actually complain about the IndyCar advertisements pointing out how fast they are in oval trim

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

COTA is a good track. Compared to most of the F1 calendar it's really good. Compared to most of the IndyCar calendar it's just fine, but still good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

COTA is a bad track because so much of its design was literally lifted from other, more famous and better circuits. It's literally a Frankentrack. There is hardly any originality in new track designs anymore; it's just lean one or two novel and unique features and then just copypasta in bits from everywhere else.

That being said, Indycar putting on a very entertaining race despite that says everything about how good of a series Indycar is at producing great racing.

Yes but they have taken good sections from bad tracks (Silverstone) and ones that no longer host meaningful races (Istanbul Park) and put them together in a good track that I can watch like three or four times a year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it takes them and mashes them together with absolutely no thought or flow. the last section of cota is flat-out the worst section of any race track on earth.

I have been posting in the F1 threads for over a decade and I can confidently say that yours is the worst post I have ever seen with my two human eyes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ah, good to know i can completely disregard anything you say about anything ever

I know quite a lot about terrible posts, you can trust me on this one. There is nothing worse I have ever read than "the last section of cota is flat-out the worst section of any race track on earth." Somehow you've managed to be objectively wrong about a subjective matter, I don't know how you even do that. Fuji Speedway still exists dude.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The last sector of COTA is a straight broken up by a few stadium sections at the end. Like it's completely unremarkable what's the deal

It's pretty much just an unfunny meme

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My least favorite track is probably how none of them are Milwaukee

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perhaps we should stop arguing and just agree that Silverstone is dogshit

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Every single year I forget how loving terrible Albert Park is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Better than Magny Cours" is perhaps the lowest possible bar

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

:stonklol:

yeah nah. that's a series that's about to be too expensive for the sponsors it can bring in. I'm happy with the growth and development IndyCar has, and that IMSA has. NASCAR? clownshoes series rat-loving the memories anybody has of the NASCAR that existed pre-2001.

The GOP???????

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Um, also, is Laguna for real with these ticket prices?

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/laguna/EN/buy/quickbuy/334

$100 for Sunday only GA? Um... is SCRAMP trying to make sure the race fails? The IMSA race the week before is $60 for Sunday. Sunday GA at Long Beach is $70, and a stand seat in the lower rows are $78. Barber is $45. Cmon...

When F1 was at Indy you could get first turn grandstand tickets for $120 for the whole dang weekend. Of course I'm now realizing that was 15 years ago and I want to go lie down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't think vape sponsorship was legal in the US.