Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dear NTT,

Please use some of the money you receive from pensioners around Japan to have landline and fax service towards sponsoring speedy race cars. And also help bring a race back to Japan.

Your faithful customer,
harperdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Race in Japan: Don’t think Suzuka is in play thanks to F1, but COTA has changed that a bit. Motegi is also owned by Honda so that’s the natural fit, and yes the oval was damaged in 2011 and to my knowledge hadn’t been repaired. But it’s not like it fell down, they still use it as a car park for big events at Motegi.

Okayama is an okay choice but hosts WTCC as far as international series go, Sugo is I think owned by Yamaha, Fuji Speedway of course by Toyota, and Autopolis is up in the jungle of Kyushu.

Tl;dr if a race returns I’d put the odds-on favorite at Motegi road course, followed a way back by Suzuka and a repaired Motegi oval. But that situation would require a few pieces falling into play, including the schedule.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Time to inaugurate Dream Calendar Chat for the new thread eh?

In a perfect world, IndyCar would have the current schedule plus the following:

• Race in Japan (Motegi oval?)
  • Surfer’s Paradise
  • Season ending at California Speedway around Halloween
  • Second race in Canada
  • Return to Monterrey, Mexico
  • Burke Lakefront/Cleveland
  • Richmond (:rip: Milwaukee)
  • Michigan Speedway
  • Watkins Glen with IMSA

At least some of those should be possible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

-Road America- Meh

Mooooooooods!!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Dinner With Racers guys talk to Tony Stewart about his iRacing experience, that’s kinda a hoot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

NTT is #55 on the Fortune Global 500 list. Verizon is #37.

That's not a big drop-off.

This. And it's an Excellent sign that they were able to get NTT on board -- not just the American side, but if the parent company name is there, that means they got Japan to sign off, which is very good for the series in terms of its international visibility. It's a sign NTT wants to expand at least its B2B business in the U.S., and if the sponsorship deal means they think it's a good place for that, then that's not a bad sign.

The other strong news? Is if they rope in more of the Japanese blue chips that seem to always have sponsorship money but spend it on golfers or other things instead.

I'm pretty used to the logo since it's everywhere here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

the Verizon scheme doesn't look as good as any of these

Absolutely correct.

Also how the gently caress did Boesel get into the middle of that front row that year in qualifying? Good lord.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Hrm, I wonder what it'd take for Portland to pick up a local sponsor. Like, Intel or Columbia Sportswear would be a blue chip for sure, but any of these would be a good get:
https://www.ranker.com/list/companies-headquartered-in-oregon/the-working-man

I'm hoping for a Dave's Killer Bread Portland GP, personally :getin:

It was GI Joe’s forever until the guy who owned that company (and promoted the race as well) sold up and retired.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I was gonna say that explains the decor around the MAX line where it passes by the track (there are large, mirror-finished balls trailing red-orange-yellow flames behind them all along the light rail bridge railing), but it's actually a regional sporting goods chain, not 80S ACTION CARTOONZ. Seems the sporting goods chain sold out to a private equity firm and was shuttered 2 years later, in 2009.

I would get on my high horse about “REAL PORTLANDERS REMEMBER ______” but that’s not really worth it. Vanport is a whole other ball of wax too. At least the land remains (mostly) public, including the track itself, and wasn’t sold to private developers (unless the golf course isn’t a public one?).

Penske needs to pull strings tighter and get Freightliner to sponsor the race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

looks like they'd be ready to primary sponsor three cars if Wickens' car is to be believed.

also, good, because gently caress Lucas Oil.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Whatever comes of it, I just hope he walks unassisted again.

I really hope he can come back to compete. But most importantly, that he can return back to a “normal” life, regardless of racing again if he can walk and live like normal that’ll be a great success.

That he’s so close to attaining that already? What a miracle.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

He had the speed to get to GP3 and GP2 and win in GP3, he was on par with guys who have won the Indy 500 and the IndyCar championship. He’s either made bad choices or had bad luck depending on how you look at it (it’s a very good question why Foyt dropped him after one year), but he’s hustled to try and stay involved. I hope he does well and can catch on full-time, he has the talent to be fast and is a good character for the series.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I think Foyt dropped him due to poor conditioning and focus, but at the same time 2017 Foyt was a loving joke gongshow team.

They still kind of are :v: but yeah TK coming in with his sponsor money/connections and Leist coming up with his is too tempting to avoid.

Considering Daly was shopping the Air Force deal himself last year, and what they signed on for with Andretti Autosport, you have to think the Indy 500 ride isn’t the end to the story.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Reminds me a bit of when Torco was loving everywhere in drag racing for a couple years.

Then they got raided by the feds.

Group1001 might be dumb branding, but Delaware Life has been around a while, right?

(The biggest snake oil sponsor currently in IndyCar is Lucas Oil IMO)

In any case, businesses coming in with teams and extending their relationship to also sponsor races or the series (NTT)? It really is healthy again. Or much healthier than it was before.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Thank god for Honda.

Stuck with the sport through some very lean times inspite of the fact that USAC (allegedly) pulled some shady poo poo in 1995 to make sure their cars couldn't win.

I think between them, Firestone and Dallara? They are the "glue" of the sport. (Chevy isn't bad either honestly..)

Honda, Firestone and Dallara have done so much from the 2000s through 2010s and the dark old days. They might’ve been bad cars and it may have been questionable racing, but they stuck with the series which is to their credit.

I figure Chevy is Roger Penske pulling strings in certain ways. But I’m so glad Penske has spent so much on this passion.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

maybe Road to Indy is switching from Cooper?

Firestone as Road to Indy sponsor and supplier would make sense.

god drat :psyduck: how many good announcements can we pack into one offseason?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

At the tail end of CCWS, weren't they supplying Bridgestone-branded tires to CCWS and Firestone-branded tires to the IRL, at the same time? I'm guessing they probably did the math and figured out that of the two, with the remaining actual target market, Firestone is the more recognizable brand.

They were. But also the merger was technically everybody closing shop and moving to ICS, which had the Firestone deal. I’m sure they’ve analyzed which brand to use, that doesn’t go without question.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Now you have to pay for cable or YouTube TV or something to get NBC, NBC Sports, CNBC, etc. content, then pay a second subscription for the stuff they've decided to lock behind a paywall. I very much consider this to be going backwards.

Ding ding ding. And I don’t have a problem with paying for an OTT pass either (I did for MotoGP for a more expensive pass) but it also gave you live race coverage.

Also sounds like the Japanese coverage is on an app I don’t have, so its back to the ol’ reliable spots for me this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because at a certain point one must wonder when the NFL for example isn't just going to go "Screw this. We can produce this in-house and keep more money for ourselves".

But then you have to build up the sales staff to earn back the money from advertisers that you’re cutting the middleman (networks) out of. And whether it’s more to build up that staff or to just take the money the networks have.

Plus, the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/MLS get enough from having bidding wars to make it worthwhile. And that despite four of those five having their own dedicated networks, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

@MazeOfTzeentch

Ontario/California/Fontana/AutoClub makes best sense when it's running in late october/early november. Great place for a finale race. Weather is nice, etc.

However the NFL is such a looming giant that I think Indy is trying to get away from any potential cross over in that realm.

Oval wise? It's also rather difficult to pull off without Marlboro throwing wads of cash to help with the sanctioning fee while at the same time also throwing free/reduced tickets at nearly everyone's dad and uncle.

also IIRC wasn't the operator of the track very insistent that they wanted the season finale in late October because of weather and (presumably) prestige? I know they were very very vocal about wanting the race in the fall, which does make sense. Can't tell if that's just an excuse they can use because IndyCar has actively tried to get the season done before footbaw or because they really want that back, but yeah. Even as that 2015 thrill-a-minute race made for great television it was happening in the baking 90-plus degree valley sun, so nobody was out there in the stands. Can't blame 'em.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

This sucks an rear end. Harding has now messed up the driver contract situation two years in a row by apparently thinking sponsorship was just going to land in his lap magically.

I don’t remember if it was on Pruett’s podcast or in the Racer mailbag, but Robin Miller has alluded a couple times to Harding having bigger eyes than stomach. Would be sad to see things scaled back — the bigger question is how bad the Steinbrenner side messed it up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

I legit havent thought about him since the 500 last year, is he still a thing?

Santino Ferrucci, who has a full-year ride with Coyne this year?

Who’s dad tried to get Trump’s stupid slogan on his Formula 2 car and who’s car had Sean Hannity’s charity on his IndyCar last year at the end of the season?

Oh yeah that guy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hey who wants a late '80s promotional video about the Porsche CART effort?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMYGySmiJw

...Porsche NA was once based in Reno? Huh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Also IndyCar just announced coverage in New Zealand and Australia so it feels like Surfers is commin.

That’s a good sign but it’s not the end-all. That’ll depend on what the Queensland government and local Surfer’s government will allow/provide for a race, and if it’s going to have to double up with Supercars in October or get its own date sometime else.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah it's way over due at this point.

Hell I'd take a half one.

A half canopy? So the aero screen? :v:

I put more trust in the research for IndyCar than most other series in this regard, so if they think the aero screen isn’t ready for prime time, so be it. I still think you lose nothing of the inherent “Indy-ness” going to an aero screen or full canopy, especially if you gain in safety on the other end.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

I think a canopy could look Cool but I would lament the loss of the “rawness” of seein the driver out in the air workin n poo poo. I dunno. I like IndyCar though, first race is commin up. So that’s cool. Alright check ya later

That rawness went out the door in...the late ‘80s? Early ‘90s? The surrounds have been so high around the helmets, that hasn’t been the case in a while. Canopy may allow for that again possibly, ironically.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s understandable that they can only do so much with the DW12, but if they haven’t integrated these ideas into the successor in a few years when the chassis change, they will have failed and dropped the ball.

The thing is, though: I really don’t think that’ll happen. I have more faith in IndyCar for the next five years than NASCAR. Imagine telling that to the thread circa 2011.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1097967180879224832

(This is not about worst thread)

I do wonder if international governments will figure IndyCar to be more of a cost effective form of grand prix racing to hold over F1?

Mexico elected a super left-wing president and there’s shock and surprise he doesn’t want to continue throwing money down a hole labeled “Formula 1”? For the record I’m not sure they’d be the type to see IndyCar as a cost-effective alternative, but the good news is Indy doesn’t usually need as much state funding for this. (Australia is different, because shipping)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

But it would have been interesting to have seen if Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., and co. would have gotten people into the gates at that time.

It would be like the NFL is in Europe - some real big fans, probably, but more people curious about the American oddity that exists nowhere else.

With CART at the time, the series was known, yes, but the drivers had some crossover due to experience/championships in Europe (see Mansell in F1 as exhibit A).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah but CART/CCWS 01-03 was (sadly) a different animal than CART circa 1989-1995.

I imagine the plans were being made when JV, Mansell, Emmo, Johannsen, were major players.

Yeah of course, that was a given. If your biggest non-American names are junior formula washouts and Alex Zanardi it’s not moving numbers, the big names who were real ex-F1 talent would’ve been a much bigger name.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1098745791340896256

Okay.

There's a way this can work...but it would have to involve the equivalent of moving a boulder up a down escalator.

-IndyCar's date NEED to be after the Indianapolis 500. It also needs USAC Silver Crown, MRTI, and perhaps...SST to ensure there's not this insane downtime on track.

Good luck getting Penske to move the Detroit weekend. (And that would impact IMSA too, especially since it’s dangerously close to Le Mans for many of those teams/drivers).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Champ: Rossi
500: Hinch :unsmith:

(the '500' pick is more a lottery than anything, but I do think Rossi will find the way to nail the championship down this year)

also by bold prediction: we get a third engine supplier announced by Indy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Track is way above Indycar standards it seems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvdlf0QRVw

Hey if they pay for the flight, sure why not.

I can’t find it listed on any FIA grading list for 2018, so.

(Grade 1 is requirement for F1, Grade 2 for WEC, and most IndyCar circuits fall into Grade 2).

Welp, wasn’t looking hard enough. It’s on the FIA list only as “Villicum” but it’s there at Grade 2.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 27, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

for what it's worth the 8W article on the Porsche 90P is a good source for details on the engine contracts, why Porsche was feared, who benefitted and how the Porsche program got hosed over (spoiler: it's not engines, it was chassis).

Alfa was just a clown shoes clusterfuck, as befitting any good Italian outfit, and their details on 8W are just as good for that side of things.

hearing that not only are Chevy and Honda friendly rivals but working together to police things is a massive change from how things were before, but knowing the whole long history, it makes much more sense.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Would they get in trouble copy right wise for producing:
1967 Holman-Moody Ford.
1969 Brawner Hawk
1970 Ferrari 512S
1978 Lotus 78
1993 Lola T93/00

Cuz..those would be really cool to have in modern diecast form.

Most likely yes, most all models are licensed. But those would be a good selection, though I’d be tempted to also add in one of the all-Andretti Daytona 24/Le Mans efforts as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the comparison for Americans was that previously it was on like ESPN 2 (a cable channel, but very common) and it moved to like how Speed Channel was before it went pop -- usually only on more expensive cable tiers.

it would make sense in terms of the "packaging the racing together," and so long as the coverage by SkySports F1 isn't too overbearing (just leave the American commentary to it basically), but that might not happen, and it definitely sucks for anyone who isn't also really interested in F1 or doesn't have that kind of budget.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve mentioned it before but the book Those Guys Have All The Fun has a lot of good details from that era. Management changed, “ABC Sports” shifted from being an independent operation to a brand of ESPN so their priorities (including IndyCar) shifted, and this was the point at which ESPN decided to shift from what made them popular to having grander ideas about what to promote.

And I’m not sure it’s entirely the NBA’s fault, as the NFL machine was revving up at that time too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah it's not mean't to poo poo on the NBA. I actually feel awful because the coverage they've received by ESPN really pales in comparison to Turner Sports currently and NBC's stellar coverage in the past.

But, it really does match the timeline of the decline in cover and their disinterest as well. You've said it before, but when they lost the NFL? that was it.

January 4, 2006 was the last time a college football game used the branding (Texas-USC Rose Bowl) February 5, 2006 was the last NFL game on the network (Super Bowl XL).

I’d have to go check the book but I think it was 2000-2001 or so when ABC WWOS stopped being a separate business team and instead was just a brand rolled into ESPN. And as that integration continued, it became less and less ABC. So what they cared about - including Indy - went by the wayside.

Auto racing was a mainstay of the “we have to work around our limitations” ESPN, back when they were showing sports that had cheaper rights (this ironically included college football at the time). Racing? College sports? More MLB coverage? Aussie rules? That era helped them grow, and try different things. I know it was the Aussies that used in-car cameras first, but ESPN did a lot for how to show Motorsports on TV.

This year is the first “500” any of us will know that isn’t on ABC, and that’s weird, but I trust that NBC will do it right. I’m still frustrated by some of NBC’s business decisions (Gold not carrying live streaming is a terrible idea, and having no global package direct from the series — see IMSA — is a missed opportunity), but I think they do the broadcast and promotion well. It was clear ESPN couldn’t give two shits even about the “500” as of last year. The only reason they have F1 is because it’s given to them for free (and Mother’s (?) paid to make it ad-free).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah with F1? They really don't have to do much sans just airing the world feed. Still feels "off" watching it. I miss Varsha, Diffey, Hobbo and Matchett..no ads is okay though.

The deal was up and Liberty wanted to guarantee streaming rights to help setup F1TV, but NBC wasn’t going to give that up. ESPN gets the broadcast without doing much but hosting the feed, and Liberty can sell its subscription in the US.

See how this played out re: IndyCar and streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sooooo....

https://twitter.com/AutoRacing1/status/1102810996605927424

I suppose that..
1.) Honda winning the 500 with Sato-san
2.) NTT Data becoming series sponsors
3.) Jay Frye and Darren Sansum being apart of the series
https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ex-toyota-engineer-to-lead-indycar-engine-development-1001056/1389156/

Has Toyota interested for whatever reason.

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/toyota-racing-boss-indycar-dilution-led-automaker-to-nascar-032114

I mean, have you seen how bad Cup racing is getting?

IMSA is doing fine, but the NASCAR side is teetering close to the “costs too much for what we’re getting out of it” level, and with more teams having to stack multiple primary sponsors onto cars, the numbers may be starting to fall off.

Compare with IndyCar, which is lower overhead, gaining traction with fans and events again, and could potentially be seen as what NASCAR was circa 2000 - more bang for your buck.

It still sounds like baseless speculation, but ignore stuff about Long Beach as well. Could be a chance that the LBGP sponsorship was organized by local dealers and an IndyCar program would be decided at a much higher level.