Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should race at IRP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When are they coming for Camping World

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Phwoar looks like my lad RHR is going to make a run for another title this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eddie Cheever seems like an extremely weird person

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reynold posted:

How so? Top 30 are locked in by Sunday, whoever is left dukes it out for #31-33.

I think the idea is that #34 and #35 can be out despite being faster than one of the locked-in entries.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

Do you think they will pull a 1997 and let the faster cars start anyway?

Nah that was USAC going rogue against the IRL, won't happen this time most likely.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
or put those curbs in them that occasionally caused lower formula cars to do hydroplane blowovers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

It’s also a good track.

It's a good layout that unfortunately includes a brain scrambler which causes everyone involved in discussing it to develop sudden brain damage

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last sector of COTA is a straight broken up by a few stadium sections at the end. Like it's completely unremarkable what's the deal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's mostly unremarkable but has an overtaking opportunity and a pretty cool multi-apex curve.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My least favorite section of track in the Indycar series is sector one of Portland. It's like a karting circuit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The flow of COTA is fine. There's the front straight, the fast twisty bit, the straight, and the slow bit at the end. Like compare this with a piece of poo poo like Losail or the new Silverstone where I literally can watch an entire weekend of racing there and still not be sure of the track layout without looking up a map or something and there's zero comparison.

It probably has a better flow than Portland, which seems like it wants to be a classical sweepy NA-style circuit but has that awful first sector, though drag strip tracks are slightly unfair.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

Look at all these guys who don't know oschersleben.

Mondello Park in BTCC was one of the worst circuits I had ever seen too. To be fair I think it was literally the only race track in Ireland because the Irish are insane people who like public road races on motorcycles.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The original Portland circuit back when it was public roads (albeit unused because the neighborhood had been destroyed in a flood) was cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Ricard is cool because it's insanely long and Signes is one of the best corners ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Paul Ricard always looked like a highway, it just used to have dirt instead of the grippy bits but that's when it became mostly a test track and not an actively used racetrack for a bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Since we have established that Paul Ricard is a white person track per Cigni, I am very interested in his opinion on what race circuits are beloved by people of color. Is it Brands Hatch, Mosport or hell maybe Lime Rock Park

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Ricard was designed in the 1960s and the only way it's layout is "modern" is that it has a really long straight, which has the decency to end in a really fast challenging corner and not a hairpin like most other recent tracks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

Need I remind you that France is also the country where they eat live birds. I don’t think they would have an issue with Taco Bell Sauce tbh.

The one country which hates spicy food more than America is Argentina.

Also the 1995 layout of Buenos Aries is literally the worst F1 circuit of all time, except for the morbid curiosity of racing F1 on a circuit that would still have been a bit too twisty for touring cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dijon is my favorite French track tbh, I love extremely fast but short tracks like that. Magny Cours would be last except for how bad Le Mans Bugatti is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unfortunately a lot of the runoff stuff is for the benefit of motorcycle racers since they don't really like falling into gravel and breaking their necks because they keep bouncing in the air at 150mph.

The solution is to ban MotoGP and Spanish twinks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: Buenos, people always bring up the O-Ring or Fuji as butchered race circuits but for some reason Buenos Aires never gets mentioned, and I don't know why, because my gently caress

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh the worst flat F1 circuit ever was Rio, it's one of those circuits where I can watch an entire race and not be able to discern the track layout except it was raced in the 80s because of how insanely dangerous the old Interlagos layout was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

Indycar can put on shows even on crappy circuits.

is that badass Argentine circuit built on a mountain that FIA GT used for like a year still open

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

The weird oval they made was interesting in a way. I mean it was still Mickey Mouse but interesting.

Rio 1996 for CART was a really good race. Actually I think all the Rio races CART went to were good, I always liked when CART went to an oval that actually required the use of the brake pedal. The main problem was that the really tight radius meant that you'd hit the wall at a really bad angle if you crashed, which Mark Blundell found out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also for dead Indycar circuits I really miss Sao Paulo. It had good racing even though it was a pretty dead atmosphere as far as a street race went.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

I didn’t mind the last two rompings IMO. Long Beach is usually more miss than hit.

Yeah there's honestly only like a handful of memorable LBGPs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FuzzySkinner posted:

So Andretti, Penske and Ganassi now WANT the 25/8 rule...

(sighs)....You could have just done this in 1996. Raced at Disney World, Phoenix and we all wouldn't have had to deal with this bullshit pissing match that last more than a decade.

no matter what happened the IRL was set on going to an incompatible stock-block formula in 1997 which CART was not willing to go with, and wouldn't have in a million years. there was no reason for them to acknowledge the IRL races with that in mind, and as long as the IRL was set on their stock-block future it wouldn't have changed anything at all except maybe the 1996 Indy 500 field wouldn't have sucked so much

Legitimately the only argument for the CART teams running those races would have been in an attempt to kill off all the IRL teams by denying them used chassis/engines and taking their qualifying spots.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 21, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

marshalljim posted:

What's the record for the most cars trying to qualify for the 500? There was a quote this past week from someone who mentioned 70 or so back in his day.

I had a cursory look at Wiki but couldn't find any more than 50 (1976, I think it might have been). Unfortunately, that's not a stat that seems to be reported much.

i think it would have been in the mid-80s when basically anyone could buy a March-Cosworth and be more or less competitive out of the gate.

unfortunately qualifying data for Indy 500s is inexplicably difficult to find. I really don't know why I can look up prequalifying times for the 1988 Grand Prix of Liechtenstein or some poo poo and can't get reliable data on the biggest US open wheeler race in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I imagine there's shitloads of paper records and qualifying timesheets in a book somewhere, but you'd at least think something as fundamental as entry lists would be posted online somewhere.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IANAL but I think if it's "raw" data (i.e. not some kind of fancy chart) it isn't really protected by copyright.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

I think it might be compounded by the fact that multiple drivers might use the same chassis, or certain chassis/cars would only appear in practice runs.

I guess we can also kinda blame USAC here. Their officiating and organization had been...questionable to say the least.

Yeah but even stuff like seeing a team's multiple backup entries is interesting stuff.

I think the data is clearly there, it's probably just not online. Same deal happens with stuff like NASCAR's Wikipedia articles being awful, etc, when NASCAR as an organization clearly kept records.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

T.G. was a retard but CART management is #1 because they took an amazing product (late 90s CART, 1997 is the best AOWR season, fight me) and managed to kill it.

TBH it was probably effectively walking dead by the late 90s.

I don't think there's any single person who has all the blame, though I'm inclined to say TG's bizarre stock block fetish was the instigation of the whole mess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
those 500s all sucked rear end and lol Buddy Lazier and Eddie Cheever were not made into household names because of winning them lol

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 22, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

1996 and 1997 are horrible races. I haven’t watched ‘98-‘99. Why did Buddy Lazier and Eddie Cheever suddenly become all American oval masters among the traditionalist fanbase despite the latter coming from the European ladder/F1 and not even driving on an oval until like 1990.

i said it before but the funniest thing about IRL was it being founded in the image of Oval Hero AJ Foyt who immediately hired hideously awful Brazilian road racer Marco Greco, F1 Washout/Guy Who Got Punched During An F1 Race Eliseo Salazar, and actually good Swedish road racer Kenny Brack as his drivers

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 23, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mactheknife posted:

Googling, I was also at the 98 race. Front stretch, pit side. Could see the straight, exit of 4 and entrance of 1. I was more into racing then than I basically ever was before or since and almost fell asleep.

I watched that race and the reliability of those first generation IRL cars was so bad that in the first half of the race someone blew a transmission or motor seriously like almost once every five laps

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mactheknife posted:

The lone oil livery that's better than Valvoline is Castrol, get that poo poo on the drat car already

the Penske/Jim Hall Pennzoil car was always the best USOW livery op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I've always thought Mario's '87 livery was all time great and would be so much more remembered if he closed the deal at Indy.

Castrol liveries usually own but I've always associated them w/ John Force and Aaron Slight.

the Castrol Honda SBK is the best bike livery ever

also i've always loved the Larry Perkins ATCC car

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PC should count as racing a toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

quote:

McLaren purchased a car from technical partner Carlin, and though the car was orange when McLaren received it, it was not the proper McLaren “papaya orange.” It had to be repainted after the test, and that still had not been completed when Alonso crashed his McLaren-built car last Wednesday.

The Carlin spare was in a paint shop 30 minutes from the track, more than a month after McLaren complained about the color, and it ultimately cost McLaren almost two full days of track time. The team looked foolish as other teams were able to move into backup cars in mere hours; James Hinchcliffe crashed in Saturday qualifying and was back on track in his spare that afternoon.

are we sure Ron Dennis isn't involved in this behind the scenes