Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hyped about the new season.
Also: hyped that there are now two races in March. That stupid early St. Pete race and then nothing til April schedule of the past couple years was completely incongruous.
Less hyped that there's now a 4 week gap between Long Beach and the Indy road course.
Similarly less hyped that there's 3 weeks between Portland and Laguna Seca. I'm super excited they'll be racing there again but that seems like such a momentum killer at the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Keep the current schedule, add Watkins Glen and another mid-summer oval (Michigan?). Boom, done.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Basticle posted:

I still lol at Izod

Nothing says speed like men’s business casual.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

harperdc posted:

I really hope he can come back to compete. But most importantly, that he can return back to a “normal” life, regardless of racing again if he can walk and live like normal that’ll be a great success.

That he’s so close to attaining that already? What a miracle.

Yeah, when the crash happened I really didn't expect he would be doing this well after just 5 months.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I *might* be into the pass if they improve the video quality. Going from F1 coverage on the ESPN app with 60 FPS everything to the NBC Sports app with capped 30 FPS and often sub-720P resolution... bleh. I’m not paying $50 for more of that.
Have they said if replays of practice/quali will be free? In 2017 and prior they always listed them on the app, but 2018 was hit or miss if they’d post replays.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Did something happen to Josef’s teeth in the off-season? I know he got braces but they look... uh, more rough than I feel like they should for just that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Gold uses the same video quality as the standard NBCSN app, right?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Crazy how off the pace Penske was.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What was that Robin Miller was saying about Long Beach potentially falling off the schedule in a few years?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bigbillystyle posted:

Thanks for the insight. The leave the hotel at 7 and get stuck in traffic until 11 is exactly what I hope to avoid on the way in hopefully by leaving the hotel at 6am and parking in some dudes lawn at 7-8am. On the way home, it is what it is. Good tip on the cushion, I wouldn't have thought to bring one.

Yeah, this happened to me last year - left the hotel at 7:45 and didn’t get to the track til almost 11:30. We also tried to use Uber which seemed like a decent enough idea on the way in but was loving miserable getting out, since all the roads near the track are converted to one-way only until about 5:30 or 6 PM. Basically wound up sitting at a ghetto gas station for a couple hours watching drunk Snake Pit attendees attempt to shoplift and/or get in fights, until an Uber could finally make it near the track.

Also, bring sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, and plenty of water.

The whole thing sounds like a giant pain in the rear end, and taken in a vacuum it is, but getting to see and hear the cars fly around the track at 230 mph for a couple hours in person is something you have to do at least once.

Just bummed that I wound up attending the one race between Alonso’s two appearances.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 24, 2019

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Rossi used to rub me the wrong way, since he struck me as an F1 washout that openly felt he was above the Indycar series - and because of that I was initially pretty down on him winning the 500. Post-win, he's really reversed that perception and is consistently in the mix of every single race now.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

devmd01 posted:

Sweet, I’m down with it. Looks even more like a futuristic fighter jet now.

Wanna see this with Conor Daly’s livery.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Does the upper ring portion of the halo/windscreen sit higher in the Indycar concept than it does currently in F1 cars? I can’t tell exactly from the picture, but it seems to me like it’s positioned slightly higher relative to the driver’s helmet. I remember one of the supposed reasons that a direct copy of the F1 halo wouldn’t work in Indycar being that it restricted visibility on banked ovals, which I guess this wouldn’t do if it is indeed positioned higher.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

WindyMan posted:

Plus, it generates a lot of money for a Detroit economy (especially the business economy) that could still use it.

Last year’s pace car wreck was definitely a boon to one of the local auto body repair shops. :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Big Huski Boi posted:

I think McLaren's shareholders told them no. I don't think Brown is that unbelievably stupid, he's done too good of a job with the F1 team.

Yeah, I have to imagine the willingness to fund a full-season dried up substantially after the bump fiasco.

Zak Brown did at least talk up running the Indy road course race, which I was already surprised they didn’t consider doing this year. I know most of the other one-offs don’t do it either, but if you have the resources of McLaren, why not?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Cool for Ericsson and Power. Lame for my boy Josef but not as big a deal after the win yesterday.

Also, after the crash today and commentary by PT, is Rosenqvist basically the next Ed Jones?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Whats with the leds only showing the car number and not the position?

I was wondering this too. Weird to see Newgarden win with a big red ‘2’ on his roll hoop. They also weren’t counting down pit stop times IIRC.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
LED panels still not working, huh?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bentai posted:

Sports Argument Sanctum › IndyCar 2019: Townsend Bell Incoherently Screaming

I’ll admit I sort of enjoy every hearing “whoooOOOOAAAAA” every time someone makes a pass.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
gently caress Sage Karam

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well drat. Did not see that coming.
Also I’d be okay with Hinch replacing the host guy from the Chevy ‘real people’ commercials.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My one big complaint about NBC vs ABC for Indycar is that the NBC Sports apps on Roku & Android TV remain garbage while the ESPN apps are actually pretty good - e.g. F1 races are shown in 1080p60 while NBC Sports seems permanently locked to 720p30 with a ridiculously low bitrate. There’s no way I’m paying for Indycar Pass until that gets fixed.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 17, 2019

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’d be fine with this track getting dropped from the schedule.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What happened to Newgarden?

e: Ferrucci happened 😞

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 25, 2019

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I might, might be down for a Ferrucci redemption story if he did anything to show actual remorse or contrition for the behaviors that got him kicked out of Europe. Instead both he and the media seem to have this weird nonaggression pact of saying nothing about it and just pretending he's this impressive blank slate.

Plus, I mean, come on, the dude just looks like a douchebag.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I will 100% go to Richmond to see Indycar. Hope they bring the Road To Indy too.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Are we going to run the whole race under caution or what.