Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
What about the Motegi oval?

EDIT: ...ah, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Basticle posted:

I still lol at Izod

:same:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

KingShibby posted:

I did too until a few weeks ago when I saw the race had a generic "Grand Prix of Road America" title, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kohler deal was for only 3 years and they didn't renew.

So as it stands now, the only races without title sponsors are:
  • CotA
  • Long Beach
  • Iowa
  • Portland
  • IMS Road Course (far less likely to get one)

Hrm, I wonder what it'd take for Portland to pick up a local sponsor. Like, Intel or Columbia Sportswear would be a blue chip for sure, but any of these would be a good get:
https://www.ranker.com/list/companies-headquartered-in-oregon/the-working-man

I'm hoping for a Dave's Killer Bread Portland GP, personally :getin:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

harperdc posted:

It was GI Joe’s forever until the guy who owned that company (and promoted the race as well) sold up and retired.

I was gonna say that explains the decor around the MAX line where it passes by the track (there are large, mirror-finished balls trailing red-orange-yellow flames behind them all along the light rail bridge railing), but it's actually a regional sporting goods chain, not 80S ACTION CARTOONZ. Seems the sporting goods chain sold out to a private equity firm and was shuttered 2 years later, in 2009.

Wikipedia posted:

PIR is built on the former location of Vanport, Oregon, which was destroyed on Memorial Day, May 30, 1948, when a railroad berm broke and water from the Columbia River flooded the city. After the flood, all that remained were the paved streets and concrete foundations of destroyed buildings.

The first races took place on these old city streets in 1961 during the Portland Rose Festival. Since then, the Rose Cup has become an annual event. Racing at "West Delta Park", as PIR was known back then, was quite dangerous. Racers leaving the track unexpectedly could collide with leftover concrete foundations or fall into ponds.

:black101: Incidentally, Vanport was the black quarter, and there's a lot of sketchy poo poo that happened there. I'm not surprised there was also a death trap of a race venue up there in the aftermath of the floods.

There's also some cool history and photos here for those of us who are PIR noobs:
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/pirbrackets/history/history.htm

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FuzzySkinner posted:

You could race drat golf carts there.

It's Indy, and Indy is for racing.

And the one MacKenzie River Pizza outside of Montana/Idaho, apparently.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

iwentdoodie posted:

"And now we have the pole master, Will Power."

Yeah I dont care if I'm a child that was funny as hell

Post/avatar combo also on pole.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The original Portland circuit back when it was public roads (albeit unused because the neighborhood had been destroyed in a flood) was cool

Good ol' Vanport. There's some hosed up local history around the flood.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

KingShibby posted:

Yeah I'll definitely be writing something later today, but this is quite interesting:

I seem to recall paddock passes in Portland being relatively inexpensive.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Portland's parking is also super loving steep, especially for a track that is absurdly easy to get to via light rail and/or rideshare.

Yeah, but just park n ride somewhere along a MAX Yellow Line stop and you're good to go. Or park in the neighborhoods around the Paul Bunyan statue in Kenton and take the MAX from there (I did not tell you to do this I have no idea why you would think this is okay).

Portland parking prices are based on the assumption that you're too dumb to realize Trimet has $5 day passes that cover all forms of transit to/from anywhere.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given how few cars I saw in the parking lot relative to the crowd size, I'd say most people figured it out.

I flew in and between that parking price and the cost of renting a car, just went with rideshare / light rail everywhere. It was awesome and cost way less than even just the track parking would have.

Trimet is actually pretty loving nice. I used to park and ride for concerts and Blazers games, tho as a small woman with a funny haircut, I tend not to do that alone anymore. Buses tend to be troublesome, but the MAX light rail and the street cars are generally on time and go to the important areas (PIR, Moda Center, my office, the airport).

If anyone is headed to the Portland GP this year and needs a local guide, hit me up. I'm not a native, but I've been here long enough to know the good poo poo. One of my close friends used to live near the Expo Center, so we know all the good restaurants near the track.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kidcoelacanth posted:

Who doesn't know Damon Hill? I love Gorillaz, personally

:golfclap:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wirth1000 posted:

That's because Macans are pretty cheap brand new and Cayennes on the used market are ridiculously cheap. You can buy a 10 year old Cayenne for like $2k and that's an extremely easy way to say you drive and own a Porsche.

What's wrong with America, the post.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

iwentdoodie posted:

That green as the majority color would've been awesome. Just make it Gecko themed, gently caress it.

Yeah, go green or go home, Geico.

(But srsly, that would be a great color scheme with significantly more green.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

bigbillystyle posted:

Does the track have like facility wide wifi? I know a lot of stadiums are doing this but wasn't sure about a place that big. If so do you think it would be reliable enough to stream the race while at the race? I was thinking of doing that to keep up on what was going on during the race aside from what was immediately in front of me. Though I guess just keeping the radio call on would do that for me.

I can ask. I think someone from the former ExactTarget IT team that helped out at the track still works in my department.

That said, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlosMunoz034/status/1128081522521776130

How is it some of the jobbers on the entry list get rides and Carlos Munoz doesn't?

fake edit- How does Sage Karam get a ride and Carlos Munoz doesn't? :wtc:

I'm not even a hardcore Indycar follower, and I'm full on :wtc: about this.