Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So hype for the 2019 season. I bet O'Ward is gonna be a beast, McLaren is dipping it's toes in at Indy, Dixon's defending the title, Rossi is coming off of a very strong season, Pagenaud needs a good result this year, Bourdais gonna be pulling off some more incredible moves... So much going on.

Does anybody have any info on the NBC Sports Gold Indycar Pass? Still just listed as "coming soon" on their site, but I'd be interested to know how their service works and how much it costs.

I went to four Indycar races last year, thinking about stepping up those numbers incrementally this and next season. I have already convinced the girlfriend that it would be great to break the end of winter with a trip down to Florida for the St. Petersburg race, but that's likely to be a next year kind of thing. I already do the Indycar Grand Prix, Indy 500, Mid-Ohio, and Gateway. CotA, Detroit, Road America, and Portland are possible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Gateway is dope, get you an air BnB and stay for the weekend. The City Museum and the St. Louis zoo are always fun.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

The City Museum is awesome as hell.

The last few years at Gateway, we make it a point to visit the zoo and then a brewery the night before, a dive bar the night of, and the City Museum the next morning. Always a blast. Flying Saucer closed last year, but the Crack Fox is always a fun time. Also, St. Louis style pizza has grown on me, it's good stuff.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I like the IMS road course because I live in Indy and it’s an easy sell to me. Watching the ladder series race there is always fun, last year in particular was enjoyable. Another excuse to roll over to the track in May is all the justification needed. The worst course IMO, Phoenix, has been dropped already, and I’m pretty happy with the schedule as it stands. The next step for the series should be to add an international race or two, Mexico and Brazil are my top picks, but Australia and Japan would be cool too.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I like how Verizon dumped the series and now we have a foreign telecom as the title sponsor instead, lol

Can't be any worse than Izod or Verizon were at promotion, and hopefully Penske won't be running two drat near identical Verizon cars at any point this year. I'm loving hyped for race season to start up, bros.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Naw don’t get me wrong, I’m happy NTT has picked up Indycar, all I was saying is gently caress Verizon. And yeah, I know Penske has sponsorship from Verizon still, I just hate it when they run two cars that look exactly the same.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I’ll pay for the Indycar pass, even though practice is usually boring and the qualifying format is often uninteresting compared to F1. All for the promise of decent Road to Indy coverage and replay access. If they drop the ball there, static cameras and no graphics or uninformed announcers, I’m out. How many times did the announcers for MRTI events not even loving realize the race was ending last year? The coverage was trash. If that’s what we’re getting, gently caress that.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Frond posted:

Uh so O’Ward may not even have a seat with Steinbrenner/Harding in 2019.

ffs, what is this, NASCAR?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

O'Ward parting with Harding Steinbrenner before the start of the season! Man I hope this dude lands a good ride.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

An 8 race deal with Andretti is nothing to scoff at, a bit of performance and talent (already amply demonstrated last year) would likely land him more sponsorship and races later in the season. I hope he didn't make a bad move here.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Just ordered my 500 tickets, SW vista represent. Always gambling on the sun but you get a good view of the video board in T1, as well as all the action in T1/the short chute

SW vista 4 life (until I get better seats up in the deck)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lol Pippa rules

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

fastest 33 may not start.

How so? Top 30 are locked in by Sunday, whoever is left dukes it out for #31-33.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I see, that makes sense from that perspective. Still, I like the sound of this format. I think I’m gonna get tickets for the 19th this year to go and see.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

NBC Sports Gold doesn't work on Chrome for me, wtf. Also pretty disappointed that there isn't coverage for the tiers below Indy Lights.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

AMR safety crew Three Stooges routine getting Megennis off the track

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cartoon anvils are dropping already, cool

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Sucks for Ed, wrecked himself and managed to take Leist with him, while Rosenqvist leads the race in his old ride.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Aaaand it’s gone

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lol this radio show

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I wasn't paying attention to racing when Danica was behind the wheel, got back into it just as she was leaving, and the only context I have for her is random interviews I've seen. She always seemed to be an egocentric person locked into defensive/annoyed mode, which makes it look like she has a really bad attitude.

An excellent replacement for Cheever and Goodyear, imo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I remember an interview being done of some of some safety crew dude a few years ago, and they said they always had to be ready, even if they were in the john. He specifically mentioned that even if you were mid-dump, you didn't have time to wipe if the call comes in, just pinch it off and go deal with the emergency, someone's life may depend on it.

lol

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Not happy with Hinch taking out Félix, but Power having trouble and Herta stepping up is cool

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Paul Ricard is dope, they should use a different layout every time F1 goes there imo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

If SPM can get it's poo poo together I think Ericsson will be fun to watch this year. He got screwed hard by his pit crew with that unsafe release, and Hinch managed to take out Felix as well. Lookin like a bunch of scrubs at CotA.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kirkwood's run last year was made even more impressive by the fact that he didn't have enough money to be there, and if he crashed the car once or quit winning races he was toast.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I first heard the Cooper Tires jingle last year at Mid-Ohio, and I just saw a commercial with it again today. Whoever decided that "The Wheels on the Bus" was a great song to adapt for their company jingle deserves to be hanged.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

What happened to O’Ward?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Bullshit that they kept the pits open with a wreck at pit in, imo. Certain crybabies getting their way at the expense of driver safety.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Meh.

That's basically what happens to every city that hosts the Super Bowl. They don't just play a game in a stadium and leave, they build a little "Super Bowl Village" and take over a not insignificant portion of the streets nearby, and often demand the city pay for renovations and such in the vicinity. I remember here in Indianapolis the police chief made a deal as well to have SPECIAL EDITION Super Bowl badges made for all the downtown cops, which they could only wear for the duration of the event of course, and the local pigs were pissed as gently caress when they found out they had to pay for them out of their own pocket to the tune of $100+ or so each, and were required to do so as part of their uniform for the event.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lol if it takes four months to build a street course. Are they including the time it takes to repave their lovely goddamn roads in that assessment? It takes F1 nine weeks to set up and tear down at Monaco, and I can only assume that's a well-oiled machine at this point, but double the time for the first event might not be too far off the mark I suppose.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think Alonso gives the slightest gently caress about the Indycar series, he just wants his triple crown. I'm open to being proven wrong by him, but that's just what it looks like to me.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Good day at the track but the race was pretty boring in a lot of ways. They should have thrown a yellow for Ferrucci down the runoff, a) because these races have been kinda boring this year, and b) having the safety truck on a live track is bullshit.

Series officiating is starting to remind me of euro racing, and that’s not a compliment.

Agreed.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IS THIS THE MARCO ANDRETTI WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Oof, lookin rough for these boys.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Man, gently caress that poo poo. If you get bumped by some dork running his only race this year because you dropped the ball in qualifying, you deserve it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

7am is plenty early, cruise the neighborhoods (we usually park across the railroad tracks to the Northeast) for a close parking spot. Buy a seat for race watching, check out the museum when you feel like cooling off for a bit, and try not to get wasted and pass out in the sun. Otherwise, the Indy 500 is dope as hell! I sit just past turn 1 and have seen all kinds of poo poo the last few years. Takuma Sato pulling off a win a few years back is really what drew me back into Indycar. I don't always see some epic poo poo like Dixon flying through the air and walking it off, but it's always a great time. Definitely do it this year.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Theris posted:

Wait, what? There's concessions/souvenir stands/restrooms under the stands and all around the track. The fairgrounds-style food stands on Georgetown are there for people walking to the track and Coke Lot campers/partiers the night before.

There are very limited concessions actually built into the facility with probably the worst and most expensive chicken fingers, fries, burgers, and hot dogs you'll ever see, but the vast majority of food and drink (and much greater quality\variety) are definitely in the food trucks and carnival carts all around the outside of the seating areas (but within the fencing) and inside the track. IMS suffers from the same issue many race tracks do, in that comfort and concessions are an afterthought. BYOB in a small cooler, pack all your food in, IMO.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Having done it every which way other than GA-only... I won't do uncovered seats again. A huge chunk of the seats on the front straight are either fully covered, or at least shaded once the sun moves a bit. My favorite seats on race day that I've actually had were down at the very end of Stand A at the entrance of turn 1.

The god-tier seats, which I'm pretty sure you need to marry into certain families to get at this point, are the E Penthouse seats. I've managed to get up there for Carb Day a few times and hooooooly gently caress I wish I could get there for the 500.

We started sitting in the paddock penthouse for the Indy GP last year and the difference between there and the stands is night and day. Covered, stadium style seats, plenty of legroom, restrooms on your level, and a loving ELEVATOR from the ground floor. Never going back to the vista decks after that!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Testing rained out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012