Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Penske dropped the Marlboro sponsorship wholly. It's not the wink wink nudge nudge of Ferrari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Curious as to 500 qually will be handled, as that also shares its weekend with the Preakness Stakes, which NBC covers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's pros and cons to the road course, but one of the biggest pros is for the ladder. It's a way for them to race in Indy at IMS, and even if it's not the main course, it's still a way to say they raced there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want to know how many years this is.

Also, this came by last night:
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1084859476031823872?s=19
Bommarito has done a fantastic job with Gateway, and I'm glad they're sticking around still.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stealing from discord
https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1085284414974771200?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Huh, I though Kohler was still sticking around.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Some delightful noises from testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN8mm1KopUY

:shlick:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frond posted:

10 Races for MSR in 2019. Harvey is the driver.

Hell yeah

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1093509764951261184?s=19
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1093521085956534277?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Pato, at Sonoma, was loving on FIRE. Never drove the car in any serious capacity before that race and would have done well had he not hosed his tires over.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Honda and Chevy both have really good relations with each other, and I think it's a big reason why the sport has been thriving as of late.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm glad to see the LED panels are back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

I liked having the numbers so visible on the roll hoops, but also it sounds like the LED panels are really beneficial for fans at the track. Can’t argue with them being back.

Yeah, having been to two races, one with and one without, it's great to have them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ahahaha get hosed ferrucci

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yes please

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

race was Good. wish they would blown up the field by throwing those two yellows, though.

Eh, I'm fine with it. It was a bit of jostling for the lead and position and a bit of strategy. I'm actually glad they didn't, even if it lead to a Penske win.

Or well, the SeaBass non-yellow was good. The tarp non-yellow should have probably happened, but restraint is nice, especially compared to the other major American series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1104874061144956929
That definitely comes across as a one-off thing. Could happen again, but unlikely.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CactusWeasle posted:

Are they Honda amplifiers?

:rimshot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frond posted:

O’Ward drove very well too. Arguably his result is even more impressive considering his equipment.

Yeah, and the lack of preseason testing on his end.

There's a drat good crop of rookies this year, that's for sure

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

hey this isn't cool, don't do this.

It's this, thank you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

He's an odd one.
After 2017 I would have kept Whirrline over him, however this was not an option because Sauber lived paydriver to paydriver and Ericsson comes with cash that Whirrline didn't.
Having said that, he was a perfectly competent driver who occasionally got more out of the shitbox Sauber than I thought possible and who had a passable 2018 season even if he was totally overshadowed by his better teammate who happened to be a rookie (and who got a promotion to Ferrari, something that almost never happens).

Fun fact, he's a Sauber "brand ambassador". I don't actually know what that means.

Yeah, he's a pay driver, but he's also a pay driver who tries, unlike a certain other F1 pay driver who feels because daddy has money, he doesnt' have to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/john_andretti/status/1111796672831598592?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RA has free parking, but it also has a lot more space compared to most tracks, and it's also a good 70-80 minutes north of Milwaukee.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looks good, OP

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reynold posted:

Meh.

That's basically what happens to every city that hosts the Super Bowl. They don't just play a game in a stadium and leave, they build a little "Super Bowl Village" and take over a not insignificant portion of the streets nearby, and often demand the city pay for renovations and such in the vicinity. I remember here in Indianapolis the police chief made a deal as well to have SPECIAL EDITION Super Bowl badges made for all the downtown cops, which they could only wear for the duration of the event of course, and the local pigs were pissed as gently caress when they found out they had to pay for them out of their own pocket to the tune of $100+ or so each, and were required to do so as part of their uniform for the event.

See also: The Olympics, which can bankrupt entire countries.

Atlanta is the exception, not the rule, in that they had plans for EVERYTHING after the games were over. The main stadium? Braves moved in. The building the athletes stayed in? Georgia Tech dorms.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Huski Boi posted:

Alonso wants another championship and IndyCar is by far the most prestigious series in which he has a realistic chance of doing so. He's probably going to win the WEC title this year but no one will care.

I'd honestly place WEC and Indy at the same level. They both are arguably a tier lower than F1 on the international stage, and both series are overshadowed by their main race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PNC gambled with Dixon as their first ever racing sponsorship and was rewarded, that's for sure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't like it, but if they must:

-The only guaranteed entries are full time cars*, assuming n <= 24. You have to commit to the full season in order to be assured a spot in the 500 past bump day. If there's more than 24 full time drivers, well then they're going for the 24 spots, and 25th and further of the full times do not qualify.
-The 25th spot is the lights champion. They get a spot regardless of qualifying performance.
-The remaining 8 drivers are for one offs and limited schedule drivers. If there's less than 24 full time entries, they they fill as needed.

*I say cars because of Special Ed. For now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

More shark mouths on cars imo

This.

The chocks are a nice touch too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

It'd be a shirtless Sage Karam.

I'd actually be completely cool with this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I checked the weather last night, saw "oh, only 20% chance of rain".

Looked right now, only 30% chance.

gently caress you mother nature :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

devmd01 posted:

Sorry, the rain is apparently my fault. It started right as I was getting back down to the track with my twin boys, this was gonna be their first time.

You owe us cat pics as penance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

to be fair the IndyCar program would be very cheap but still VAG has been skittish since Dieselgate. that being said, I don't see what any VAG brand gets out of IndyCar.

Cheapish open wheel on a relatively high profile series. It's much cheaper than F1 and that's probably the big factor

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Gotta sell more Macans.

I see so many Porsche SUVs compared their two-door offerings (and even the Panamera) it's not even funny.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can see a simple regenerative braking hybrid setup for indy down the line. Maybe not the next engine formula, but the one after.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

As opposed to ~18 gallons of gasoline?

Further reinforcement and isolation seems like it wouldn't really be that difficult. I'm sure the ideal would be to find room to put the battery pack down low in the frame.

The problem with lithium fires is they need special handling to put out compared to gas. I mean any series worth its salt would know how to in those situations, buuuuuuut.

There's a couple other issues, such as a short happening in the system. If that's the case the driver will probably have to use the escape hatch up top and jump off so they don't complete a circuit with themselves.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember, no practice today.

TOMORROW, 11 EASTERN, PRACTICE STARTS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey

Hey

PRACTICE TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sulman posted:

Newey also did some typically trick poo poo with it, turning the turbocharger around and using 'heat shields' (which happened to form an extension to the undertray) to enable an exhaust-blown diffuser.

The guy knows how to exploit every little thing out of cars to great effect, that's for sure.