Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yes Ganassi are still around. However Penske are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wirth1000 posted:

Race at Okayama would be great.

Okayama sucks balls.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
They tried the latter thing. It didn’t work.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The IRL proper lasted maybe 6 years.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Street Circuits put on the best show last year outside of Iowa.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Indycars have always raced well on street courses. Even lovely ones.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Cleveland probably put on the best CART races I’ve ever seen (‘95, ‘01). Also Long Beach ‘98.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yes, let’s replace America’s best road course (Road America) with oval that will produce bad racing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's kinda nuts they ran on the Sanair oval. The place was a deathring.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’m glad ECR stuck with Pigot.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Great news!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Verizon is still involved with Penske.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Absolutely correct.

Also how the gently caress did Boesel get into the middle of that front row that year in qualifying? Good lord.

It was a good car. It’s one of my favourite schemes ever.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

the Verizon scheme doesn't look as good as any of these

Other than the horrible IR cars all of these own. All of them.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Norton/Gould cars are slept on. They look cool with those 4 spoke wheels.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
10 Races for MSR in 2019. Harvey is the driver.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Frond posted:

It's kinda nuts they ran on the Sanair oval. The place was a deathring.

I finished Sanair 1985. Crazy race. Villeneuve Sr. ran into the back of Bobby Rahal before the end of the race, right before the checkered flag Pancho Carter got the jump on Johnny Rutherford on the restart and won (but it was later revoked) with like 100m meters to go.

CART seemingly didn't know what place Carter was in until the final 2 laps, as they had him classed as like 6th which became 2nd in a a matter of 20 seconds. I can understand Rutherford's position but I think Pancho was in the right. It's probably the best short oval race I've ever seen. Here is the video, I'd like to hear what you guys think;

https://youtu.be/VcwKutLCXCE?t=6650

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/robertwickens/status/1087788454392418304

The fact that the dude has feeling/control enough to make a few steps is insanely encouraging.

Whatever comes of it, I just hope he walks unassisted again.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Conor is a fan favourite.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

He had the speed to get to GP3 and GP2 and win in GP3, he was on par with guys who have won the Indy 500 and the IndyCar championship. He’s either made bad choices or had bad luck depending on how you look at it (it’s a very good question why Foyt dropped him after one year), but he’s hustled to try and stay involved. I hope he does well and can catch on full-time, he has the talent to be fast and is a good character for the series.

I think Foyt dropped him due to poor conditioning and focus, but at the same time 2017 Foyt was a loving joke gongshow team.

Munoz didn’t survive either and looked worse than Daly in the back half.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Honda made sure it couldn’t win Indy in 1995 by employing Scott Goodyear.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Don Whittington was surprisingly decent on ovals.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Hell he somehow landed a Patrick ride.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Basticle posted:

I'm genuinely curious why they continue to use the Firestone name and not Bridgestone. I'm in my 30s so when I hear "Firestone" I immediately picture a Ford Explorer flipping on the interestate.

Marketing. They used Bridgestone in CART from 2002-2007.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Spaced God posted:

Hi i'm 22 years old and I've been watching indycar for 8 years and I just learned that firestone and bridgestone are the same loving thing because of posts in this thread please mock me

They were not at one point.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uh so O’Ward may not even have a seat with Steinbrenner/Harding in 2019.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
*Farts*.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I dunno how true the rumours are but apparently Harding didn’t even have a second engine lease secured.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://twitter.com/Santi_Urrutia/status/1095042916563804162

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I finished 1985. What a season. The final races at Laguna and Miami kicked rear end. Perhaps Laguna Seca's old layout needs to be revived.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

There has got to be more to this story. It would be a bad idea to turn down an Andretti drive.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
RHR is good.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

Enerson tested with Carlin again at Sebring today, looking more and more likely that he will be in the car for the early season races that Chuck isnt doing, like COTA/Bama/Long Beach.

Also the sponsor is Craft 1861, a cannabis derived CBD company who i think will be the first weed sponsor on a big car (hell yeah)

Also IndyCar just announced coverage in New Zealand and Australia so it feels like Surfers is commin.

Nice.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

It was tested a few times like years and years ago i think? The worry at the time was that the bottom of another car would slide up the nose and hit the driver. The horn would hopefully deflect car up. The drivers didn't mind iirc because thats already where the radio antenna fin is mounted.

Things like the Herta/Barron wreck, or really anytime one car submarines under another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXymgWiRcY

That could have been so much worse.

Also RIP to your career Alex Barron. Dead before it started.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Eddie Cheever seems like an extremely weird person

He is. I thought he was a bit of a whiner as well. I'll usually go to bat for him though as he was the last good American F1 driver, and had a promising start to his early CART career.

Remember when he inexplicably added "Jr." to his name?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Watching Surfer's 1992 - AJ Foyt entered the race, curiously he was in Derrick Walker's car (which looked like the most slapdash backmarkeriest car ever) and Foitek was driving his own. Also he was absolute junk on street circuits so it's an even bigger mystery.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Rio oval was weird as hell.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Michel Jourdain Jr. is in Alfonso Cuaron’s Roma. That’s the last place I expected to see him.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

FuzzySkinner posted:

Were you guys aware that a "simpson-ized" version of Rick Mears 1988 Penske PC-17 was n the episode "The 138th Episode Spectacular"?

The uh...5 is a dead giveaway.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Funky F3-esque intake on the Truesports 92C.