Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

RIP Phoenix. Unlike your stands, you filled up that 4 week gap nicely.

:drat: but true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If NTT has megabux, can they fix the Motegi oval?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it would be the best solution to "Japanese title sponsor" and "not enough ovals". Motegi road course sucks, Motegi oval is good, but the loving earthquake broke it. I don't think there's even any series other than Indycar that even would use it if it was fixed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Race at Okayama would be great.

I now have an urge to try the DW12 at Tsukuba in iRacing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literally the only track on there I'm not sure on yet is COTA. Outside of that I'd like to see either Fontana or Michigan, and maybe another smaller oval like New Hampshire or Milwaukee, even though I know pretty much all of these are non-starters.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Gateway is dope, get you an air BnB and stay for the weekend. The City Museum and the St. Louis zoo are always fun.

The City Museum is awesome as hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Let's be fair, the IMS road race exists primarily to make it still the "month" of May. It's acceptable for that alone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

tbf Monster's Cup trophy is pretty bad rear end

Can't be as good as the Corn Pump.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Nothing says speed like men’s business casual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIuPImEz_OQ

Though it's still better than "search engine that isn't Google".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Naw don’t get me wrong, I’m happy NTT has picked up Indycar, all I was saying is gently caress Verizon. And yeah, I know Penske has sponsorship from Verizon still, I just hate it when they run two cars that look exactly the same.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

the Verizon scheme doesn't look as good as any of these

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Other than the horrible IR cars all of these own. All of them.

I love the fact that "List of times when a Penske car was on pole for the 500, and had a nearly identically painted teammate on the front row with it" is at least four separate events, and probably longer because I didn't go looking much in the IRL / DW12 eras.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

I finished Sanair 1985. Crazy race. Villeneuve Sr. ran into the back of Bobby Rahal before the end of the race, right before the checkered flag Pancho Carter got the jump on Johnny Rutherford on the restart and won (but it was later revoked) with like 100m meters to go.

CART seemingly didn't know what place Carter was in until the final 2 laps, as they had him classed as like 6th which became 2nd in a a matter of 20 seconds. I can understand Rutherford's position but I think Pancho was in the right. It's probably the best short oval race I've ever seen. Here is the video, I'd like to hear what you guys think;

https://youtu.be/VcwKutLCXCE?t=6650

That is... bizarre. Since when would they go green for literally the distance from the corner to the checkered?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

You could race drat golf carts there and people would still show up drunk, tearing up to "Back home again", and cheering on Kanaan or something when he would take the elad.

You're goddamn right.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He deserves (and will probably get) a hero's welcome at Indy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

They still kind of are :v: but yeah TK coming in with his sponsor money/connections and Leist coming up with his is too tempting to avoid.

Considering Daly was shopping the Air Force deal himself last year, and what they signed on for with Andretti Autosport, you have to think the Indy 500 ride isn’t the end to the story.

I sincerely hope so, but I think this also puts him in a win*-or-go-home scenario. With an Andretti car, he needs a really solid result to sell himself as still a factor in the series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just bought my 500 tickets. :getin:

Giving Stand C a shot this year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At the tail end of CCWS, weren't they supplying Bridgestone-branded tires to CCWS and Firestone-branded tires to the IRL, at the same time? I'm guessing they probably did the math and figured out that of the two, with the remaining actual target market, Firestone is the more recognizable brand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They moved a race with poor attendance already, to a mid summer afternoon when it would be even hotter in the stands. Then didn't renew the contract because attendance was poo poo.

The racing was great (though perhaps not as safe as it should be) but they utterly hosed the timing.

I think it speaks very loudly about how much of a different type of event it is from a street circuit race event where it is maybe an hour away from Long Beach, which has never had crowd problems. The way that they run ovals that aren't Indy these days just doesn't make sense for all but the hardcore fans.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

also IIRC wasn't the operator of the track very insistent that they wanted the season finale in late October because of weather and (presumably) prestige? I know they were very very vocal about wanting the race in the fall, which does make sense. Can't tell if that's just an excuse they can use because IndyCar has actively tried to get the season done before footbaw or because they really want that back, but yeah. Even as that 2015 thrill-a-minute race made for great television it was happening in the baking 90-plus degree valley sun, so nobody was out there in the stands. Can't blame 'em.

Both are true. The "finale" race is a good one to have - look at 2012 between Power and RHR. But Indycar has been vocal about fear-of-handegg so they want to end the season before that gets too bad, and they were also dealing with other tracks who also demanded to be the finale (Sonoma). Sonoma/Laguna also have a major advantage for sponsors. They're in wine country, while Fontana's best other claim to fame is "part of Terminator 2 was filmed at this geographic location".

There's also the fears - founded or unfounded - that too many races in a given market will oversaturate things, and the relative / perceived proximity of Long Beach, Fontana, and Sonoma/Laguna all complicate that. Nobody is moving Long Beach around, and I'm guessing they'd also complain a bit if Fontana was given a date too close to them. Sonoma/Laguna would have complained equally loudly even though there's a much greater physical distance. Personally, the crowds at LB and Fontana seemed diverse enough in makeup that I don't think either race would have stolen fans from each other at all.

So that leaves them with putting a race in a part of California that has only marginally cooler weather than Phoenix, in the middle of summer. And thanks to time zones, they can't run it as a late-night race that would start at/after sundown.

Fuckin sucks.

Reynold posted:

O'Ward parting with Harding Steinbrenner before the start of the season! Man I hope this dude lands a good ride.

Also fuckin sucks. The guy is fast and needs to be in a car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, they don't have to be with any specific team - it's pretty much a blank check to cover that cost with any ICS team.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah this is still an improvement. It eliminates the fuckery of "is there enough time" and "OMG SHE'S WASTING TRACK TIME" when you put a fixed limit on attempts.

The race-trimmed practice the same day is a bit odd since there's going to be 12 cars that are going to have to be re-trimmed from qual to race setups pretty quickly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Porsche and Alfa both were received horribly for it, so that's not really a great example.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Chevrolet-Ilmor also got a ton of flak. They were more or less unavailable to most until 1992.

Yeah, but Ilmor in general didn't get rules written to gently caress them until after The Beast ate everyone's lunch in 1994.

Frond posted:

CART loving over the Porsche 90P program was pretty underhanded.

I thought it was USAC, especially since they were the ones most afraid of furriners and the like?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It also makes sense from the perspective of where the series is at financially today - which is to say it's still far from truly stable. Indycar as a whole, Indy 500 victories, and Indycar championships are all valuable to American Honda and GM, but thankfully both of them are also smart enough to realize that nobody wins long-term if they go into an all-out gently caress-the-cost-caps war. I'd wager Honda is getting more out of the series today than they did out of all the years where they were the only supplier. If they remain reasonably competitive with each other, then they both keep their maximum costs capped at supplying a bit over half the field.

I'd argue that both of them very much want a third manufacturer, since it wouldn't likely be a significant dent in their returns on Indycar, but it would cut their own costs (at least, in terms of raw engines and support of those engines) by a third. They wouldn't be subsidizing the original engineering time over as many engines, but they also aren't making sweeping changes year to year anymore. They aren't even making as many changes as they were allowed to originally under the DW12 ruleset. The key is that the manufacturer needs to be able to slot in evenly with the existing engines. Too slow and now anyone who can't get a HPD/Ilmor engine is an also-ran. Too fast and you've pissed off two companies who have done a lot to keep Indycar going.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How much is the spend for a manufacturer in NASCAR? They've got to R&D the body and probably stamp a few, R&D the basic engine components and cast them... but isn't it up to the teams to do a lot of it on their own dime?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Peanut President posted:

according to TRD's website they build the motors themselves.

Cygni posted:

Toyota is spending more than $100m a year in NASCAR, easily. If you said $200m, I wouldn't even blink.

I stand corrected.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Would have been better if they had included Sato's checkered flag scream on the radio bits at the end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Oh my god I remember that ad :psyduck:

It didn't click for me until the toll booth bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

So Mario's IMS exhibit sounds like it's gonna be pretty sweet:
https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/03/03-05-Notebook

The Unser exhibit last year was awesome as well. Not that the museum ever disappoints but it seems like they've been improving things a lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cars on track!

Also, blue envelope gonna be waiting in my mailbox when I get home :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Audio streaming on racecontrol is still free.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My brother had the greatest Indycar shirt, which was just a high res photo print of the Pagoda on a polo.

Now he has the second greatest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

now i gotta dig up and see if a BMW has ever run the 500 in any capacity. worth noting that Rahal runs BMW's factory sportscar program in the US, and Andretti runs their factory Formula E team.

also for reference:

It'd be interesting (to me, at least) to go through and match up the very heavily related engines / manufacturers - lump the IRL Oldsmobile in with the various iterations of Ilmor/Chevy.

Of course it just ends up with the Miller / Offy still having an insanely dominant run.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The funny bit about his rant is that it was doubly impotent. His car broke, and even if they didn't routinely close pits under yellow... the wreck was at pit in. They'd have closed them anyway.

Good race, good winner. Would've been a Rossi/Herta 1-2 if not for the yellow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The decision to ignore track limits basically makes this another Cleveland, and greatly contributed to the amount of passing. It probably also prevented more yellows.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought that was a spoof account, loving :lol:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also the 1995 layout of Buenos Aries is literally the worst F1 circuit of all time, except for the morbid curiosity of racing F1 on a circuit that would still have been a bit too twisty for touring cars.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh the worst flat F1 circuit ever was Rio, it's one of those circuits where I can watch an entire race and not be able to discern the track layout except it was raced in the 80s because of how insanely dangerous the old Interlagos layout was

Bold statements for a timeline that includes the Phoenix street circuit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

Maybe the Sauber last year was just a decent mid-field car and kind of flattered Ericsson by enabling him to fight for points when we were used to Sauber being at the back of the field before the injection of money from Ferrari. I'm still quite skeptical of Ericsson.

Consider the quality of Venezuelan oil-money pay drivers we've suffered through.

Ericsson is fiiiiiine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Fryer is a hack

Yup, with only the hottest of hot poo poo takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Robin is crazy chatty in the paddock, and friends with a lot of people, but also frenemies (and full on enemies at some points?) with a lot. He doesn't claim to be unbiased, and he's as likely to talk poo poo about his buddies as he is to talk them up. Look at all the reporting about signing Felix. In the same breath he's giving Chip credit for a good hire, and giving him poo poo for trying to be coy with him about it.

Maybe the difference is that nobody considers anything from RM to be *not* at least half opinion piece.