Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I like this show because even though I'm extremely dumb I always feel a bit smarter after listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i literally can't shut up about this show to anyone who will listen so very excited for this thread

for those of you like me who wish there was more than one episode a week, adam johnson has a very active twitter account (@adamjohnsonnyc) that's generally pretty fun and informative to scroll through, and his work at FAIR is also (imo) equally as good as the show though shorter and therefore a bit less in depth. for example:

https://fair.org/home/wapo-usa-today-nbc-go-full-breitbart-on-prisoners-eating-steak-non-story/

the whole article is pretty good, but i think the most interesting part may actually be buried near the bottom:

Adam Johnson posted:

It’s likely not a coincidence that these articles started coming out less than 48 hours after the release of a federal report (New York Times, 1/4/19) that showed rampant abuse and sexual violence in federal prisons, with the steak-serving Coleman prison highlighted:

"The Bureau of Prisons settled a large sexual discrimination case in 2017 after 524 current and former female guards, nurses and others at Coleman Federal Correctional Complex, near Orlando, said they had suffered years of abuse by male colleagues and prison inmates."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I liked about the Toure interview is that Toure basically made explicit what a lot of liberals (like the folks who tend to argue in D&D, etc) avoid saying outright; that they just view the left as "immature," in a way that is virtually identical to the way conservatives view liberals. There's no logic behind it; just a gut feeling that not accepting the status quo is a sign of immaturity.

When you're immersed in those environments, like Toure was/is (and like many of the sort of people I'm talking about are, since they almost invariably work in some sort of white collar professional field), you generally get a sense that institutions (and thus the status quo) are relatively competent and good, even if they're imperfect, and that the people criticizing them are just ignorant laypeople who don't understand that. It's hard for them to comprehend that institutions that feel "normal" to them, and consist of people they identify as intelligent/good, can be truly evil/harmful.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I liked about the Toure interview is that Toure basically made explicit what a lot of liberals (like the folks who tend to argue in D&D, etc) avoid saying outright; that they just view the left as "immature," in a way that is virtually identical to the way conservatives view liberals. There's no logic behind it; just a gut feeling that not accepting the status quo is a sign of immaturity.

Recently in the DSA thread there was discussion of sectarian battles in the East Bay DSA and of the two groups, one of them was effectively positioning themselves as the realistic pragmatists who had solutions that could actually pass, versus those silly idealists who want to support things like police abolition or BDS. They stopped just short of calling their opponents SJW snowflakes. I think this kind of framing is common to people who are attacking their opposition from the right - the more centrist or right-wing position relatively is cast as fundamentally more serious and pragmatic and anyone to your left is just so goddamn crazy and naive.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There's a new episode, and it handles the spicy issue of "nation of immigrant" rhetoric and how that whitewashes America's nature as a settler-colonial state.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 16, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1088583497059581952
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1088584196430462976
https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/1088585416217952258

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Huh, I never woulda thought there'd be a Street Fight / Citations crossover, but it sounds like two great tastes that taste great together!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol that happened quick

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1080367777712689152

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was vaguely aware that the lottery was regressive, but gently caress me I had no idea it was that bad.

“gently caress me I had no idea was that bad” is basically my review or every CN episode.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Pro thread. Thanks for making it.

I also can't shut the hell up about this podcast anytime podcasts come up (sometimes even when they don't). Liberal deprogramming at its finest.

The topics they choose for their (almost) weekly episodes are incredibly on point, and always about something you always thought was lovely but perhaps could never really articulate why. Copaganda is one of my new favorite terms, and I heard it from Citations Needed. I highly recommend Episode 54: Local 'Crime' Reporting as Police Stenography as an introduction for anyone who might be leaning more to the left after all the various shitshows of the past few years. It helps explain why poo poo like COPS has been so enduringly popular and Live PD has had so much success. I hate them both.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

which Street Fights do they dunk on Rowe? I fuckin hate that dude but forgot SF did episodes about him.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I know there there was one specifically called gently caress Mike Rowe or something like that.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
http://www.streetfightradio.com/show/mike-rowe-wants-you-to-sweat/

If there are others that anyone else knows of, please share.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

An episode about Mike Rowe? :getin:

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

A very good episode about Mike Rowe! My blind spot to popular media made this an entirely new subject to me and it was absolutely infuriating. I wanted to smash my headphones when Nima was reading the sweat doctrine or whatever the gently caress that was.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nearly killed em! posted:

A very good episode about Mike Rowe! My blind spot to popular media made this an entirely new subject to me and it was absolutely infuriating. I wanted to smash my headphones when Nima was reading the sweat doctrine or whatever the gently caress that was.

you're a lucky goon if u haven't had to deal with a Old Relative maundering on about how young people have it so easy just go swim in pig poo poo for pennies my day uphill both ways etc. in the context of "but Mike Rowe does it!!"

my family has alive 70 year old union members and they still go in on his poo poo, so their point about Rowe having an insidious appeal is spot the gently caress on

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

He was a big hit when I was going through the Scouts as well so I can see the real cross over between red state folks and home depot democrats that they were talking about. But even my Texan kin went "wtf are you talking about with this safety third bullshit" so I guess it doesn't work on everyone...?

I hadn't even considered how he dismissed service jobs when I first watched him either.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I haven’t been able to keep up with the most recent episodes or update the newest episode post because I got a new job and work more than five days in a row without a day off ( :argh: ) but on Monday I will try and catch up.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
mike rowe ep was real good

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Summary of new episode:

https://youtu.be/95HYKW3kTaY

Its good

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
"News Brief: Let's Relitigate the poo poo Out of 2016 -- with Thomas Frank"

Oh boy, this is gonna be good. :dance:

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

"News Brief: Let's Relitigate the poo poo Out of 2016 -- with Thomas Frank"

Oh boy, this is gonna be good. :dance:

Don’t know about that. Frank spent the mid 2000’s making the astoundingly dumb argument that Kansans were essentially incapable of racism and morally pure compared to the coasts. Then 2016 broke what was left of his brain.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I was surprised by how openly contemptuous Adam was when mispronouncing "Beto". I mean they do that kind of thing on Chapo all the time but it was nice to see it here too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pomplamoose posted:

I was surprised by how openly contemptuous Adam was when mispronouncing "Beto". I mean they do that kind of thing on Chapo all the time but it was nice to see it here too.

He tweeted about it lol.

I’m really sorry I haven’t been updating the thread, I’ve been busy with work. I’ll probably listen to the podcast next week at work because I’ll be overnight again and no one is gonna come around and hear my dirty commie show and ask questions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Marlows posted:

Don’t know about that. Frank spent the mid 2000’s making the astoundingly dumb argument that Kansans were essentially incapable of racism and morally pure compared to the coasts. Then 2016 broke what was left of his brain.

It was fine. They spent the episode basically saying the idea that Sanders hadn't been vetted in 2016 was bullshit and the media sucked in 2016, pretty standard Citations Needed fare.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thomas frank is usually pretty good imo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS posted:

thomas frank is usually pretty good imo

Yeah, Listen Liberal is basically essential reading.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I didn't even notice, but News Brief: Let's Relitigate the poo poo Out of 2016 -- with Thomas Frank is, in fact, public! Check it out everyone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

When you're immersed in those environments, like Toure was/is (and like many of the sort of people I'm talking about are, since they almost invariably work in some sort of white collar professional field), you generally get a sense that institutions (and thus the status quo) are relatively competent and good, even if they're imperfect, and that the people criticizing them are just ignorant laypeople who don't understand that. It's hard for them to comprehend that institutions that feel "normal" to them, and consist of people they identify as intelligent/good, can be truly evil/harmful.

I just listened to this episode and this dude was infuriating in his naivete/willful denseness. At one point he says something like "Well you can't say 'the US military made a mistake' you'd be laughed out of the room!" when discussing being in the pre-production meetings and it's like, yea dude, that's the whole loving problem, that you're surrounded by people who would consider that idea laughable and there's literally no one going "Wait, but that's the truth, the military did make a mistake, aren't we the news, why can't we tell people that?"

"We have to keep chasing CNN's ratings because capitalism!!!!" was his comeback to everything and it's like no loving poo poo dude, that's not an excuse for being garbage, well it is, but it shouldn't be one you're comfortable with. The whole point of media is to speak truth to power, but in his mind, it's just all about the :homebrew:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 7, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The most annoying part of it is ho he keeps insisting that no, it's not just about better ratings, while basically saying that yes, all that matters is ratings.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am still mystified by the fact that he had no idea that Yemen was not a part of Africa, and impressed with Adam Johnson for not going for the easy take-down when there was a lot more ideology to extract from the guy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Episode 69 is out.

https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1105846418940575744

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nice

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ashley Feinberg rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

yellowcar posted:

Ashley Feinberg rules.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Took another listen to both msnbc episodes after this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/msnbcs-trump-russia-ratings-juggernaut-fizzles-time-to-pivot-to-2020

loving lmao at msnbc, they deserve this

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Took another listen to both msnbc episodes after this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/msnbcs-trump-russia-ratings-juggernaut-fizzles-time-to-pivot-to-2020

loving lmao at msnbc, they deserve this

Honestly I'd bet they'll be fine, it's like birtherism where as long as you cloak what somebody fundamentally believes to be true (Trump is a terrible president) with whatever justifications require the least bending of pre-existing worldviews (its not structural failings, its the RUSSIANS), reality is totally tertiary.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
These last two episodes have been fantastic and I wish there was a good condensed version of then I could link people.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

These last two episodes have been fantastic and I wish there was a good condensed version of then I could link people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6cake3bwnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I had not seen the John Stossel slap video before it is indeed excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ