Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like 2205 plenty.

In fact, watching PartyElite's Anno 1800 videos makes me unhappy that they seem to have walked back how intuitive 2205's UI was. I loved how in 2205 each building told you straight up how many units of whatever contributing resources it consumed and how many it produced. It was easy to see, and that panel that told you straightforwardly how much of each resource you were/were not producing was a godsend.

It looks like 1800 is going back to having to stockpile goods in warehouses and markets and they can be put in ships and whatnot, and doesn't give you that immediate at a glance info about buildings and resources.

That magnificently user-friendly UI is the whole reason I bought 2205 but have skipped previous games in the series, I like building pretty cities and don't like excessively micromanaging and spreadsheeting resources and production and optimizing travel times for trucks or whatever.

I guess a lot of folks will appreciate all that coming back, but it's doing a lot to turn me off from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay, i guess i had my fun and i've seen what there is to see
feels pointless to keep playing if i can only get three tiers of citizens and not being able to imbalances the rest of the systems

thanks again radiation cow, the game looks amazing and i wish they hadn't pushed it but i'll probably end up being glad they did :tipshat:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cythereal posted:

I like 2205 plenty.

In fact, watching PartyElite's Anno 1800 videos makes me unhappy that they seem to have walked back how intuitive 2205's UI was. I loved how in 2205 each building told you straight up how many units of whatever contributing resources it consumed and how many it produced. It was easy to see, and that panel that told you straightforwardly how much of each resource you were/were not producing was a godsend.

It looks like 1800 is going back to having to stockpile goods in warehouses and markets and they can be put in ships and whatnot, and doesn't give you that immediate at a glance info about buildings and resources.

That magnificently user-friendly UI is the whole reason I bought 2205 but have skipped previous games in the series, I like building pretty cities and don't like excessively micromanaging and spreadsheeting resources and production and optimizing travel times for trucks or whatever.

I guess a lot of folks will appreciate all that coming back, but it's doing a lot to turn me off from the game.

Party Elite was straight up saying what each building produces before placing it so I think it is still there. Hopefully anyway!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fans posted:

Party Elite was straight up saying what each building produces before placing it so I think it is still there. Hopefully anyway!

It looks like how the game expresses that, though, is in time units: how long the structure takes to make a round of output.

Take what I saw of the bread chain for example. Wheat farms have a cycle time of one minute. The flour mill has a cycle time of thirty seconds. So if you think about that for a second, you realize it takes two wheat farms to make a flour mill operate at maximum efficiency.

Then the bakery also has a cycle time of thirty seconds. So a single flour mill supplies a single bakery.

But for some reason it's expressed in terms of cycle times, not "wheat farm produces 1 wheat, flour mill consumes 2 wheat to make 1 flour, bakery consumes 1 flour to produce 1 bread."

I can see the planning advantages, but it's not immediately obvious like 2205.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What have people had success with putting in their ships for expeditions?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

One thing I really liked about 1404 was setting the buy or sell orders on your supply of certain things. Like, I could really really fine tune my mozaic production, or I set up these beautiful, elaborate trade routes where my ships took like 8 stops to make their rounds, and it would involve like, offloading excess mozaics and books, picking up spice because my population needs had outpaced my production capabilities, and just

Lots of stuff going on at once. I didn't have perfectly identified production and consumption rates but I could smooth that over with really nice trade routes. Sometimes, this would end up looking funny because I'd be operating in the 'red' (in terms of production costs outpacing tax revenue) but I'd still be generating lots of money from trade revenue.

It's been a long time since I played 2070 and I didn't spend much time with it, but especially in Anno 2205, it felt like I was super tightly limited on my ability to trade or profit off goods, and trade routes were really limited in what I could do with them (and their operating costs were extremely prohibitive), and you basically only used them to transport the necessary cross-biome (or whatever you want to call it) goods from one place to another.

It just felt like so much of that part of the game was cut out. And while the military stuff in 1404 was never uh.... great, I at least found it 10x more stimulating than those god forsaken weird dungeon-crawl-but-boats missions in 2205. What was that?

Also, I can't remember which game had the space station modules but I don't know that I ever figured out what the heck those were about.

Books/Spice/Carpets/Mosaics/eyeglasses/Quartz (for Glass) all on one trade route. Super sexy, super profitable.

In this one, my first beer island didn't have wheat fertility (poor planning) but here's a trade route that takes care of it while also supply charcoal. I imported charcoal because mined charcoal is much more efficient and produces in enough quantities that I had excess.

I hope 1800 brings back a lot more of that trade route aspect, and the ability to smooth out your production & supply using that instead of just... forcing you to slap 3 modules on everything.

e: and to clarify, I had a lot of fun with 2205. But especially around the lunar colony stuff, I just started to feel incredibly overwhelmed by the tedium of some of my production chains. I never hit that with 1404 and 1404 was just really beautiful to me. I sunk hundreds of hours into it. Less so with 2205.

double edit:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Earlier this month they finally got around to doing dev blog on combat, there is quite a bit of footage of it in action as well (keeping in mind further changes and balancing are still possible):
https://www.anno-union.com/en/admirals-at-war/

Combat is a lot more like traditional Anno games, it all takes place on the main map, instead of special zones like in 2205, and at release there will be no land combat as there had been in some games.

If they ever do get around to adding it in, I seriously hope they look for ways to properly integrate it instead of just tacking it on and calling it a day.

You will aos have to physically protect your trade again and set up trade routes between islands and maps instead of having it all transferred around automatically into global warehouses.
:dance: Just saw this, hooray!

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 2, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

e: thank you a bunch, folks, installing it now and going to document my adventures tonight, probably!

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 2, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I like 2205 plenty.

Aww, that's kind of sad. I can understand it since it's not super-in-the-future, but it was incredibly nice having an overview that let you more easily balance production.

I am pretty surprised at the trains getting nerfed, but it seems like they walked back on making a way more advanced logistics sim this time around.
From the early previews it seemed like warehouse inventories were local as opposed to island wide, meaning that you'd use trains to transport resources from A to B en masse.
But I can understand that being a bit too heavy for anno.

And oh, I am absolutely not above begging for a beta invite, if anyone has a spare one lying around. ( uPlay: SubaruNatale )

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Krataar posted:

What have people had success with putting in their ships for expeditions?

I mostly go with 3 experts that specialize in the 3 required fields. You can buy those at the npc traders like the prison. For naval power and force it might be a good idea to clean up any pirate ships on the map. They sometimes drop pirates, or items that help with expeditions. However, don't approach the pirate base as those guns really, really hurt.

Additional put a 5 or 10 stack of a food item on the ship, this reduces the moral loss after an event.

In the end it comes down to how high the rarity of your experts/items are. I had a "Extraordinary/yellow/legendary" pirate on one of my pirate hunt expeditions, plus two more captains and a naval power event showed 165% success chance.

Edit:

SubNat posted:

And oh, I am absolutely not above begging for a beta invite, if anyone has a spare one lying around. ( uPlay: SubaruNatale )

Send.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 2, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

lagidnam posted:

Edit:

Send.

Niiiice, thank you so much.
I didn't get a notification or email or anything, but following the link in https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1985106-Invited-by-a-friend-but-no-email-Check-here activated it.
e: got a mail a while after the game was done installing. :v:

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 2, 2019

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

Also, um, if anyone has a spare beta key, I'm MaryContrary on uPlay....

I've got one left and I've sent you a friend request.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Thanks to whoever invited me! <3

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sometimes my farmers' houses reach 9/10 residents and then just sit there, never getting to 10/10 so I can upgrade them. What's happening that stops them from reaching 10/10 residents?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I have three invites left if someone wants to have a look at the game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tahirovic posted:

I'd love one. What do you need for that?

guess Uplay name: greycore

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 2, 2019

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

I'm Gadzuko on uplay, would love an invite. I had no idea a beta was happening, I forgot how soon this was coming out! Now I'm jonesing for some Anno real bad. I played 2205 when it came out and thought it was ok, played it again after accumulating all the DLC and liked it more, it just felt more fleshed out. The orbital layer space station is kinda weird but it was really useful once you got the hang of it. 1404 is still the best though. I just like watching my little mans do their thing, ships sailing, etc. This game looks like it's getting back to that feeling and I'm really excited for it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

Brynnz0r1984

Wow, I can only apologise for my awful username.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Sometimes my farmers' houses reach 9/10 residents and then just sit there, never getting to 10/10 so I can upgrade them. What's happening that stops them from reaching 10/10 residents?

Might be deviation in their demand materials?
Like you have enough clothes for 90% occupation, but at 100% you use enough that they go into a deficit? Making them just flicker around 9-10.

Also I'm not sure how much I like how production is listed as minutes-to-make-1-unit, as opposed to units/min.
(ie: Foresters make 1 log every 0:15 minutes, aka 4/min. )
It feels a bit like they put it in just to avoid using fractional units, for farms like hops where you get 0.666.../min

On the flip side, it seems like they've balanced production a bit more towards time based splits, instead of resource based splits.
Most of the chains I've seen so far seem to be 1 input = 1 output.
Instead of what it was in previous titles where you sometimes needed varying amounts of resources for input and output.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

not enough luxuries (schnapps) or pubs, most likely

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

haldolium posted:

I'd love one. What do you need for that?

guess Uplay name: greycore

Gadzuko posted:

I'm Gadzuko on uplay, would love an invite. I had no idea a beta was happening, I forgot how soon this was coming out! Now I'm jonesing for some Anno real bad. I played 2205 when it came out and thought it was ok, played it again after accumulating all the DLC and liked it more, it just felt more fleshed out. The orbital layer space station is kinda weird but it was really useful once you got the hang of it. 1404 is still the best though. I just like watching my little mans do their thing, ships sailing, etc. This game looks like it's getting back to that feeling and I'm really excited for it.

Oodles posted:

Brynnz0r1984

Wow, I can only apologise for my awful username.

Sent out friend request, so I can sen the invites from this bad website.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

How does getting keys even work? If I buy the game now do I get keys for the closed beta?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

If anyone still has a beta key I'd love one. Thank you

TheDon_AK on uplay

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There was a sign up on the Ubi site, all my friends who signed up got it and got 3 invites for friends extra.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So, after playing for most of yesterday, I've realized that I really, really don't like the farmer/worker/artisan mechanic. Repeatedly building houses, leveling them up as necessary, and supplying food/resources to each and every island feels like tedious busywork. I'd be fine with sector-wide populations, but having each and every island be its own separate entity kills the enjoyment of the game for me.

I suppose one good thing about the beta is that I know I'll hold off on buying 1800 for the moment and spending my time with 1404 instead.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

feels like tedious busywork.

yeah its Anno

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah its Anno
1404 had automatic leveling of houses though, didn't it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xaris posted:

Honestly if I was able to go full on loving Blader Runner 2049 cyberpunk capitalism hellscape aesthetic with neon poo poo everywhere that would have been pretty rad though. I might have liked that a lot more and completely have changed my opinion of it.

Actually you can with Tycoons. Tycoon citizens just don't give a poo poo about the smog and their farms lose maybe half of the productivity that the Eco ones could. Their higher level buildings were concrete and neon skyscrapers. You'd still want some good or at least okay islands for the Techs, but the Tycoons just shrugged it off. Of course in the end Tycoon citizens still paid more taxes in positive ecobalance (just not as much as Eco ones). Their farms didn't get the absolutely hilarious Eco bonus to productivity though.

Shame the second Tycoon energy production was Nuclear, and since Blue Byte are German developers you cannot have fission based reactors be good...

Anyways I look forward to hearing all of you talk about the Beta. I think I'll be sitting it out to not spoil my enjoyment when the game coming out.
Oh god I wanna play but my workweek's about to start too

Orv
May 4, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah its Anno

This is a flippant answer but it's also not wrong. Anno has never been a all hands on deck all the time full court press APM or die motherfucker kinda game. Granted busywork for its own sake isn't great, but at the end of the day you're gonna stare at your island for hours doing almost nothing except figuring out how to get 2% more efficiency out of a single farm because that's the game so eh.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's why I don't get they didn't add a multiplayer mode where you can play together. You could each manage your own islands.
Now I don't mind it too much except trade routes to supply all islands are super annoying because it can lead to temporary shortages of that good on the actual production island.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Radiation Cow posted:

So, after playing for most of yesterday, I've realized that I really, really don't like the farmer/worker/artisan mechanic. Repeatedly building houses, leveling them up as necessary, and supplying food/resources to each and every island feels like tedious busywork. I'd be fine with sector-wide populations, but having each and every island be its own separate entity kills the enjoyment of the game for me.

I suppose one good thing about the beta is that I know I'll hold off on buying 1800 for the moment and spending my time with 1404 instead.

its not in the beta but level 4 citizens unlock a commutor dock so people can work on other islands, not entirely sure how it works but it will probably help

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

its not in the beta but level 4 citizens unlock a commutor dock so people can work on other islands, not entirely sure how it works but it will probably help

Oh yeah, that would absolutely help a lot.
Just like how I assume level 4 citizens will unlock steam ships that'll probably be way faster as well.

Yeah, that made me look up their devblog.
In reference to an earlier focus test in December:

quote:

The new workforce feature was also a welcome change for most players, as it offers many new intricate ways to play around with Anno 1800’s mechanics. However, as the content was limited to Tier 3, players spent a lot of time playing the same game loop again, settling and expanding their empire to various islands without being able to transfer their workforce. To shed some light on that matter, workforce transfer will be available via the commuter harbor, which becomes available with Tier 4 (the Engineers).
In the full game, we expect players will likely advance to tier 4 earlier, instead of heavily expanding during tier 3. In order to get more quality feedback across the entire gameplay loop (including the late-game portion of Anno 1800), we will continue to make use of our focus tester program.

I guess it'll be just like trading energy in Anno 2205, just set the amount you want to transfer, and it's probably capped by the amount of commuter docks you have, or something like it. Or demand a certain amount of resources the more you send.

One thing I'm not sure how much I like though is how much more granular the 'island upgrades' are now.All of them depend on a town hall/trade guild to socket in.
But the upgrades are local, and thus only in a smallish radius.
I guess this makes sense for some things, since you could easily fit quite a few factories of 1 type around one, making clusters of factory X or Y to make use of stacked bonuses.
But with farms and houses it's a bit tepid, because it means that your seeds/island fertilities are only in a small radius.

Also the influence radii cannot ever touch, so you're forced to have trade guilds a bit apart from eachother even if they give different bonuses.

On one hand I very much miss the Island and Sector wide upgrades from 2070.
But on the other hand it makes fertilities significantly more flexible, since it means you can essentially grow everything you need on an island, provided you dump a lot of money and influence into getting the seeds.
I feel like I'd be happier with it if atleast the city/house/citizen boosts were city wide.

(Seeds also seem to have quality signifiers now, I've seen 2 tiers of them so far. )
Tier 1 seeds grant the fertility and production -15%. Tier 2 just gives the fertility.

For anyone curious where to get the city/citizen boosts, Archibald sells them.
Though he was bugged out with me and didn't automatically refresh his wares, so for a long time I thought he only sold immunity papers.

e: I am enjoying myself though and will probably get the game on launch.
Though I really do hope scenarios make a comeback.
The Beta only has references to Campaign and Sandbox, though that could be because this was a branch off of the version they've given out to some streamers. (If you click new game, then cancel out again the screen will flash with a Campaign / Sandbox mode selection screen.)
It would be kind of sad if they were missing, since I feel like that's one of the things that wrecked 2205's longevity.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2019

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Davincie posted:

Oh, that's a relief.

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah its Anno

I'm one of the broke-brained people that enjoys tedious busywork in games in general (I loved Graveyard Keeper), but this one instance just irked me so much. Maybe because it prevented me from playing the game like I usually prefer to play it (one giant population centre being supplied by everything else).

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

... huh.

Ok, the people you can get passively as part of the visitors dock can be pretty rad.
(I've gotten 2 so far, both of them purple.)

I wonder if it's based on how many visitors / how attractive the city is, or if every dock just has a small chance every now and then to spawn one.

e: I guess it looks like there are 5 tiers of citizens in the Old World?
Engineers seem to be needed for the various things, while Investors seem to grant bonus influence, based on the tooltips on the influence screen.

Also influence you use for newspaper propaganda is apparently returned when their effects finish. (As opposed to use-and-lose, which I thought.)

Also there's a small, passive bonuses tab on the influence screen.
Stuff like having 100 influence invested in culture gives you +1% impressiveness generation, etc.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 3, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I checked the devblog and:

quote:

g4mer901
Will it be possible to build sole production islands or will I need to create a new settlement with each island expansion?
Answer: Reaching the fourth residential tier unlocks a new building: the commuter harbor. This new building allows you to connect different islands, which also have a commuter harbor and once linked; islands will share their workforce as one global pool. This means that you will not need to create settlements to support your production islands. But beware: an economy which mainly relies on a commuter network is an easy target during war, as one well-directed blow to your commuter harbors can cripple your whole production pipeline.

In exchange for hitting Tier 4 inhabitants + spending some upkeep + influence, you just get a global workforce pool.
(I assume they say global because it seems like you need Engineers over in the New World to set up electricity production / oil mining there.)
Basically like how it was in other Annos.

And I suppose you could easily hit that without ever building up a population off your main island, even.
Since all starter islands seem to start with Potatoes + Wheat + Hops + Furs, all you really need for the Engineers are some Red Peppers. Which you either could buy off traders, or just buy a fertility for.
Otherwise I think you only really need a few farmers on a separate island to produce red peppers you can ship back as well, so it could have been done a lot leaner than what I did.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

SubNat posted:

Oh yeah, that would absolutely help a lot.
Just like how I assume level 4 citizens will unlock steam ships that'll probably be way faster as well.
I cannot find the demonstration at the moment but steam ships, while an improvement, aren't straight up meant to be 'better' once they're unlocked.

Sailing ships are the fastest in the game when sailing into the wind but have the major drawback of being considerably slower and less agile when the wind is not blowing in the direction you want to go. That doesn't make them totally useless once you get higher techs though as they could still make good raiders as well as faster transports for smaller trade routes that you may not want to invest so many resources into. Steam ships on the other hand travel at a consistent rate of speed regardless of the direction they're going in. They also have other advantages such as improved firepower and turrets allowing them to attach without having to maneuver as much.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

TheDon01 posted:

If anyone still has a beta key I'd love one. Thank you

Did you ever get a beta key? If not I can probably send you one.

Anyone else still need a key?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

snake and bake posted:

Screw it, I got the night off. I'll go back on my "I totally won't play" promise. It's either that or start up a game of 2070.

Alkydere on Uplay/Steam.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Alkydere posted:

Screw it, I got the night off. I'll go back on my "I totally won't play" promise. It's either that or start up a game of 2070.

Just sent you a friend request.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

snake and bake posted:

Just sent you a friend request.

Woo! Another goon ensared in my web...I mean thanks! But, erm, did you forget to send the code? You just said cheers and logged off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

snake and bake posted:

Got and accepted the friends request. Thanks :)