Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I just found out I was somehow invited to the beta but never got an email nor any indication that I did sso.

However, I found on reddit a helpful link that activates the closed beta if your account is flagged for it (make sure your signed in on your browser): https://betasignup.ubisoft.com/anno1800cb/FriendList/

I just did it, it said Congrats! Registration Successful. It should then show up on uPlay. Downloading now at 100 megabytes/sec :toot:

Give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Radiation Cow posted:

Am I seeing right that marketplaces, pubs, etc. no longer have a set radius? I see green streets when I click on the building, but there's no set circle thing like there used to be for public buildings.

Otherwise, I'm really liking it so far. The game plays butter smooth on my toaster PC, which was my primary worry. I'm expecting lag further on when I hit massive population sizes.

Yeah am I missing something? This drives me crazy. What I do see is a color-colored grading. I.e. buildings on the streets further out are a lighter shade of green and ones closer are a darker shade indicating they're more influenced by the presence of a pub/church. I'd love to have set radius back because this kinda annoys me.

Davincie posted:

performance is rather bad for me, guess i need to upgrade my pc, lots of small pauses, low framerate etc

Also suffering a bit from buildings/menu icons needing time to pop in
I'm running 6700K OC'd at 4.4 GHZ with a GTX 1080 TI with everything set to Very High and I'm getting about 45-55 FPS consistently. That's kinda loving bad. Hopefully the full game has better optimization. Fortunately, this isn't an RTS or fast-paced metroivania or w/e, so I'm fine not hitting 144 HZ and with Freesync enabled I don't notice that much, it's largely a static game.

My main complaints off the top of my head:
- The minimap feels really bad. apparently I'm just in a local area of a larger regional map, that might drive me crazy later on. I'd rather have some kind of dynamic zoom-levels to the map where I can see local to global with smooth transition.

- The UI feels extremely loving claustrophobic right now. Like I just feel I'm super cramped with pop-ups all over each corner of my screne. I feel like I could scale the UI back 50% overall and it would probably be about OK. Is there no UI scaling at all? I'm playing on 1080p @ 24" and never really had claustrophobic UI effect before. Also lots of random peasant popups and poo poo is distracting

- There feels to be some finnicky weird transition to deselecting tools, or rotating, or moving camera and between placing poo poo. I dunno I can't really explain this but I often end up somehow selected on something not what I intended to do.

- Sailing feel finnicky. like setting a ship to go somewhere often just ends up doing that selector thing on something else and de-slecting my ship.

- Aforementioned no more radius on Churchs/Pubs/etc seems kinda bad unless it's secretly a really good thing because now it's more of a transitional gradient instead of binary? I dunno. The fact I can't see Warehouse radius is really bad in particular since so many times a claypit or w/e had no warehouse in view even though I swear it was going to be.

- It seems like there's sometimes arbitrary Full Storage popup even though things are not. Maybe just a bug. It's kinda hard to tell how much of what I need at the moment, like I way overbuilt fishing and that sort of thing seems a little obtuse or maybe I just haven't found where all that information can be dug up quickly.

Have not really messed with sailling besides moving around the map or combat or anything yet.

Other than that, seems good. I don't think I'm gunna dig too much into it right now because these games are 2000 hr timesinks but I love the return to this kind of setting since I didn't like 2070 2270 and stuff.

I loving love the little things like hotkeying buildings on a quick-toolbar, rotating/moving buildings on the fly, blueprint mode, copy n paste mode, good separation of building types and production chains by peasant levels, clean presentation of where resources are and how much my workforce is doing. It's gunna be an A+ anno game.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 31, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Krysmphoenix posted:

1404 had pretty environments and energetic characters.

2070 had dull and weary environments and boring characters. Some good quality of life improvements sure, but just...was not as delightful to look at.

At least that's my take on it.
Yeah it's this.

1404 had lush islands, palm springs, creaking sounds of docks and boats and waves splashing, energy to it but a carefree casual pace, relatively simple to get at it and no separate world plane (i did not like underwater and having to swap between the two as awkward, I liked having everything visible ala 1404). Sure 2070 had some QoL production chain simplifications which was nice, and i guess ark stuff was neat, but everything asthetically was a step back from just zoning out on a relaxing-chill-out level watching ye olde boats sail around and making coffee for my peeps.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm more in to sci-fit than fantasy so I liked the aesthetic of the future games but enjoyed 1404 and 2070 equally. The world in 2070 is pretty drab to start out with but I think that was the point, you're on a polluted hell world and you're supposed to be fixing it (to some degree). When you got the eco score high enough into the positives the world would brighten up considerably. I do wish the Tycoon cities had a bit more colour though. Maybe more neon or something?
Like yeah going eco was definitely the way to go for me visually, but I didn't really *like* it overall from start to finish even though you're right that's what they were getting at.

Honestly if I was able to go full on loving Blader Runner 2049 cyberpunk capitalism hellscape aesthetic with neon poo poo everywhere that would have been pretty rad though. I might have liked that a lot more and completely have changed my opinion of it.