Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

300 hours in 2205 and 300 in 2070...ready for the new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pulled out 2205 for a little while just to whet my appetite for the new game and even after 300+ hours its still fun but i remember why i stopped playing. Veteran difficulty, a million bucks in the bank and 6k+ cash flow positive, i get hit with two events at the same time- a raid in the arctic zone intercepting all incominc and outgoing shipments- and the 'not enough parks in the temperate region' event (the game didn't recognize that i had already placed more than half the number of required parks and trees). So, there's negative money coming in from the attack, and massive amounts of people leaving in the temperate zone, so even after i stopped the invasion i had zero cash left to place the parks and the game was over. Such bullshit, such a bad design decision that those two events firing concurrently can take down a well planned, well funded and perfectly running corp. :argh:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

whenever you're short on money just block out some new space in the temperate zone. everything else you should build only when absolutely necessary, as PW said. go sloooooooooow. take a combat mission whenever you get a chance.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yes please, Efexeye22

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dammit, I forgot, I changed my ID to Son0fADiddly, if you still got one of those invites left. that's a zero

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

I've got three closed beta invites if anybody else wants in.

for the love of gooooooood :)

Son0fADiddly

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

thanks radiationcow! :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i had no idea so many people were in to these obscure rear end logistics management games

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was watching some streams of this, and while I really love Anno 1404 and think it's the best of the series and one of the best games ever made, Anno 1800 really looks and plays simply like a reskin of 1404. Maybe there are some new mechanics you get further into the game, but early stuff seems like a carbon copy to the point of parody.

probably trying to get back to what made it so popular. i liked 2205 a ton but it was a pretty huge departure from the rest of the series

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

The difference between the way you operated in different biomes was a nice touch IMO, but that was the continuation of 2070 ocean floor mechanics. But the orbital station and combat minigames were kind of a head-scratcher, like someone just shoved them in first and then came up with the benefits they provide, so people bothered to do them.

orbital station has massive, massive benefits, especially in the bio/farming track, but it's never explained how they work

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

modules were a cool addition, i hope they retain some of the stuff from 2205 that actually did work

none of that world market horse poo poo, though, i hope (i haven't paid close attention because i dont like hype)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

really liking the zoom level, they let you get down in there :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

intial impressions after an hour or so of gameplay snuck in before working :)

- they brought back the fiddly-rear end tiny arrow warehouse interface for buying and selling :/ one thing (one of the only things) that 2205 did right was consolidating all that buy/sell info into one very easy to read interface. get your readers out
- game is as gorgeous as they have always been with a reeeeeally far zoom. can't wait to discover all those little visual treats
- modules are in the game in the form of now required expansions. you can't build a potato farm without placing like 90 little squares of potato plots, or a sheep farm without placing 3 gated pastures
- careful, the AI will steal that close nice starting island
-game seems really polished already, all the menu animations and stuff are real smooth
- i don't personally like where they put the colonist interface and it's a bit obscure but i think i'll get used to it

now i'm torn between blowing out the beta and not playing any more at all :ohdear:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 31, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You've already had a taste, may as well keep going until they pull it next week instead of pining for it.

Not sure on your 3rd point though. Farms have always had fields. Only now you don't need to play tetris with them any more since they can be placed as individual tiles. Seems some of the pastures (like for sheep and pigs) are still larger pieces though.

ah, 2070 was my first anno game, didn't know that they've always been in there

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i freaking love blueprint mode, especially on Veteran difficulty with no takesies backsies on building placement :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think im the only person in the world that liked 2205. until the last time i played it and got hosed, and now i hate it

i like that the resource numbers are back to being low, though. it's just easier for me to keep track of ~100 of a resource than 10,000 of it, even though my brain knows there's no real difference

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay, i guess i had my fun and i've seen what there is to see
feels pointless to keep playing if i can only get three tiers of citizens and not being able to imbalances the rest of the systems

thanks again radiation cow, the game looks amazing and i wish they hadn't pushed it but i'll probably end up being glad they did :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Sometimes my farmers' houses reach 9/10 residents and then just sit there, never getting to 10/10 so I can upgrade them. What's happening that stops them from reaching 10/10 residents?

not enough luxuries (schnapps) or pubs, most likely

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

For anyone just starting the beta, or wanting to get another game in, you have approximately 3 hours left to enjoy it before it ends. Why did they pick 2AM to pull the game? Because Germany, that's why.

im still playing it...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i realllllly hope we get a season pass option. hell, i bought the season pass for 2205, i should get it for free :toot::)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jonesing hard for some anno

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

is there another beta or am i gonna have to re-optimize my Factory Town yet again

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Polish posted:

I have never played an Anno game but I haven been following this for some time to scratch my itch for Banished. I will check out the open beta, but is this similar to Banished?

not really, banished is sort of a roguelike townbuilder, whereas the anno games are more of a logistics management simulator with some combat

dawn of man is pretty close to banished

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

did anyone get their keys from greenman yet? making me a little nervous that i still don't have the game in my Ubisoft account

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i wish this polish motherfucker that tries to steal my ubisoft account a few times a week would realize that with two factor authentication it ain't happening, just so i can stop getting the loving emails

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm really enjoying this so far, and and almost certainly buy the game when it drops, assuming nothing crazy starts happening. That said, is my save game going to transfer? I'd hate to really dig into this for 2 days only to catch a reset.

no, it will not carry over. if you know you like it and will buy it i recommend quitting the beta while you're ahead :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

Anyone got an idea on how big the catchment area is for a warehouse? I don't seem to see any ring or anything that lets me know the range

click on it and look for the color of the streets around it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

w0o0o0o posted:

I was noticing that as well. I think necessities aren't instantly fulfilled and instead slowly trickle upwards, so new houses and newly upgraded houses start out at low happiness ratings regarding of city-wide supply and thus pay less tax while winding up.

it's also that if you promote a bunch of farmers, say, without building new farmer residences, now a bunch of farmer-produced resources are going fallow

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SubNat posted:

And it seems like the production lines generally just use 1 of each input good to make 1 output good? Making it less of a hassle to plan out. (Though I'm not entirely sure about that one.)

nah. you can run two brick factories from one mine, for example

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nanpa posted:

I'm downloading the beta now, is this a good Anno like 1404/2070 or a bad one? I never played the last one because it sounded terrible and over simplified

its good but then i liked the last two so maybe just see for yourself :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Well GMG has not provided a key so no pre-load for me :(

:argh:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wheres my fucken preorder greenman

i get to play at 9 pm tomorrow...and i better get to play at 9 pm tomorromw :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The third one looks to be where the meat is at. Adding a new environment type (arctic, as many people who spotted the snow covered landmass to the top right of the world map suspected) to the game and a new chain of buildings that need to be built to exploit it. I suspect it will be a lot like the arctic maps in 2205 in which you need to sink resources and money into them to get products demanded elsewhere in return. Except this time the game is already designed agianst not needing anything from the extra region so I'm curious to see how they tie things in.

i think they will add another difficulty level with that third expansion, iron man save, etc. as they did with 2205

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Drone posted:

Game is extremely good imo and it's hooked me in even moreso than 1404 did.

Also what the hell are character items used for? I've gotten a few from quests in my sandbox game and I have no idea what they even do.

in the tutorial they make you accept a crank that you install in the guild hall that raises production on certain buildings while also increasing the maintenance cost on the same buildings

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pleasantly surprised that the Season Pass is reasonable. i bought every extra for 2070 and 2205 piecemeal

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Popete posted:

That's weird, seems like they should have had that in for launch.

it's always been an addon, at least this is the third game in a row where it is

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Davincie posted:

does relocate not work in the campaign or something? the button does nothing for me
what difficulty? no relocate on the hardest one

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

also, drag the little arrow to set the upper bound of how much you want to buy/sell/keep in stock. if you have 75 fish in there and you set the arrow to 50 you'll only ever sell 25 of those fish, for example

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

what's the fail state on the highest difficulty for the campaign? homeboy with the innuendo loaned me 25 k and then I was back to around 5 or 6 thousand negative and the game just ended without a prompt as to why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

26 hours in, and i still go to poo poo on the hardest difficulty as soon as the New World opens up- somehow go from 40k in the bank to negative 5k, to a 25 k loan, to another 5k negative in the course of what seems like twenty minutes but i refuse to turn the difficulty down :)