Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Deep Ocean was so good, making underwater colonies with algae farms and coral mines was the best. I think Anno 2070 is my favourite one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Anno 900 BC, but it's in Egypt and the "islands" are oasises in the desert? Or maybe one set in Japan across islands?! I'd like to see them take a real risk at doing something a bit different ala Anno 2070 jumping into the future. After the extremely good, but very safe Anno 1800.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is there anything more satisfying than making the whole chain for candlesticks in Anno 1404? Fields of apiaries for the wax, mines for the brass, hemp farms and so on. It's idyllic. Absolutely true above poster, it's one of the chillest games ever.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Rome does sound really good. A horrible hell chain to make Garum with animated plebs retching as they spill an urnful of it.

I'd like to see them break away from the whole everything is an island mechanic too. Perhaps a Rome map could have half a land border off into the barbarian wilds and then a coast for some island stuff.

It could have an Eygpt DLC and a Gaul one.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

SubNat posted:

D: Loss of scenarios, (which 1800 continues) which compounds the 'there's nothing except the campaign' feeling.

This was a big shock for me in Anno 1800. I skipped over 2205 due to the poor reception from esteemed Anno fans and was quite surprised that they were gone in the latest game. Whilst I did play the Campaigns in 1404 and 2070, I felt like almost all my time was attempting some of the scenarios. They were good in that they gave you an overall objective whereas I feel like Anno 1800 in its freeplay mode is a little bit directionless and lacks focus. The Campaigns I see as a narrative driven tutorial really and I have never replayed them, they are serviceable but some of the voice acting and writing is outrageously cringey.

I just picked up 2205 because it was £10 in a Uplay sale I figured its worth it to noodle around on the Moon and make a pretty base.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Mayveena posted:

THE gently caress?! I could swear they said they were done. My guess is Asia, next guess is Middle East. Not a lot left out there unless they want to go free slaves in the US.

Edit: yeah they just said it!!

Second edit: India.

I think India or Asia are excellent ideas and something not really done to date in the series.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The trade union thing is cool in concept and wonky in execution. I'm not hugely familiar (read not at all) with how trade unions operated in Victorian Britain, but I doubt they had a dedicated building close to the factory at hand. Though that being said, I am not bursting with ideas for a better system.

There's a German article with some speculation as to the next Anno setting. Not sure I agree with their ratings of likeliness, but I recall a few weeks back reading some speculation in this thread. Most of the time periods are in here too (Rome, Egypt, Vikings) but Fantasy Anno sounds like an intriguing concept. Anno 1800 was a bit of a safe return to the classic Anno formula after the future titles, but I wonder if they will step out of the comfort zone for the next game. It seems like Anno 1800 was well received and I think it could be a toss up between a safe sequel (the article speculates Anno 1926) or another iteration on the formula?

I really think Anno AD90 or Anno 9 BC could work. Have ROME as the main session and then others could include Egypt and Gaul. The article seems to think the Roman heavy reliance on slavery could be problematic, but the series has happily ignored colonialism and imperialism so I think they could find a way. It never stopped Impressions Games with Pharaoh or Caesar.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yea actually that does sound really good. Especially because you could imagine the diversity across those different sessions. I'd like to see them branch out from islands and ships, the little archipelagos in Anno 1800 are right at the cusp of "working conceptually" for me whereas in previous titles I accepted the conceit of little cities on islands with no cognitive dissonance at all.

I think after 2205s experiment and the clear return to safety with 1800 means that any large deviation is unlikely and the next title will largely stick to the tried and tested Anno form.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

My understanding is that the poor reception was mainly due to the abstraction of the trade routes and how your goods were expressed as a number representing an over or undersupply. I personally feel cooler about 2205 because I find it quite charmless and sterile relative to 2070. There's a surprising amount of personality in 2070 with Vadim, Thor Strinberg and others that just isn't there in 2205. Then again even 2070 is lacking relative to the absurd characters in 1404.

I think the future Anno games are cool and think they could do more with it. I like the Solar System concept of Anno 9000 in the article I linked. That being said I also really enjoy the history themed ones too!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

What could make it distinct, though? In comparision to a late-game 1800?

boar guy posted:

i actually really like the 1926 idea. let me roll my current game in to the new one.

I think a large expansion that takes the almost-but-not-quite-there-yet steampunk elements like big-rear end zeppelins and expands on that would be interesting. Go hard on Gibson and Bruce Stirling's Difference Engine novel and introduce a monument that is a giant computer. I just can't really see a 1920s Anno working well, not without some big changes to the formula.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

SubNat posted:

From early dev updates about it it seemed like trains would be used to transport goods, and they might have been aiming for -not- having a magical, island-wide warehouse system, then at some point they just became oil-only.)

I love Anno and think 1800 is great, but the trains really are crap. It's faux Victorian Britain, you've got to have trains and railway. It's basically synonymous with the industrial revolution. But then Anno is all about islands and archipelagos with ships and ports. They don't quite mesh it together and TRAINS can't really take the center stage that they might in another "1800" themed game. They couldn't not have them, so it's sort of bodged in as this way to move oil about, despite every other gold not needing this system.

Then, on top of that, love it or hate it Anno is built on a grid system and the train tracks have these horrendous 90° angles.

Setting 2070 in a global warming ravaged water world really did them a huge favour allowing them to keep the nautical focus. I think Anno 1800 kind of struggles a bit to fit the time period into its "Anno" format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I've a weird question. I had a hankering for Anno and redownload 1800. I've accumulated all the DLC for it (I think) over the years in various sales, but never played any of it. Holy poo poo there's a lot and it seems totally overwhelming.

Anyway, thanks to the cloud I had my original Campaign save. I booted that up and realized I must have been nearly at the end (was building a courthouse in stages, like the Cathedral from 1404). I finished that and got a game complete thing with a cutscene and some achievements popped up. But then the game carried on.

My question is, am I best to start a Sandbox game for all the DLC ? Or just continue this campaign? Is the DLC best experienced starting a new campaign? Or Sandbox? Am at a bit of a loss.