Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've got three closed beta invites if anybody else wants in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

boar guy posted:

for the love of gooooooood :)

Son0fADiddly

Jacque Pott posted:

I'll take one if there's still one spare. Username is JacquePott.

I've sent both of you friend requests.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was watching some streams of this, and while I really love Anno 1404 and think it's the best of the series and one of the best games ever made, Anno 1800 really looks and plays simply like a reskin of 1404. Maybe there are some new mechanics you get further into the game, but early stuff seems like a carbon copy to the point of parody.

I'm okay with this. The base formula is what is addictive about these games, and sometimes you just want the same thing with a different time period. They got burned by trying to deviate too much from 1404 with 2205, so I don't blame them for playing it safe this time around.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Am I seeing right that marketplaces, pubs, etc. no longer have a set radius? I see green streets when I click on the building, but there's no set circle thing like there used to be for public buildings.

Otherwise, I'm really liking it so far. The game plays butter smooth on my toaster PC, which was my primary worry. I'm expecting lag further on when I hit massive population sizes.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

Also, um, if anyone has a spare beta key, I'm MaryContrary on uPlay....

I've got one left and I've sent you a friend request.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So, after playing for most of yesterday, I've realized that I really, really don't like the farmer/worker/artisan mechanic. Repeatedly building houses, leveling them up as necessary, and supplying food/resources to each and every island feels like tedious busywork. I'd be fine with sector-wide populations, but having each and every island be its own separate entity kills the enjoyment of the game for me.

I suppose one good thing about the beta is that I know I'll hold off on buying 1800 for the moment and spending my time with 1404 instead.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Davincie posted:

its not in the beta but level 4 citizens unlock a commutor dock so people can work on other islands, not entirely sure how it works but it will probably help

Oh, that's a relief.

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah its Anno

I'm one of the broke-brained people that enjoys tedious busywork in games in general (I loved Graveyard Keeper), but this one instance just irked me so much. Maybe because it prevented me from playing the game like I usually prefer to play it (one giant population centre being supplied by everything else).

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

boar guy posted:

jonesing hard for some anno

Play 1404? I'm currently giving 2205 another try and it's not as bad as I remember. Really wish it had plot-free maps that I could just build on.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I honestly feel that the extra content in Anno 1800 has detracted from the main point of the game, which is why Anno 1404 is still my favourite in the series. It feels more streamlined and focused, with fewer things competing for my attention. But now with all the QoL stuff, going back is hard.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Urgh, this game does not need another load of DLC, there are already more than enough plates to juggle. Hopefully at least one update is a performance improvement update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Yeah, leave it all on and you can ignore any or all of it until you're ready. No reason to ever disable DLC.

Unless you have brainworms like me and have to engage with all of the content in the game, and oh god, it's too much.