Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Brutakas posted:

As a random aside, I remember reading that there was a German word that BlueByte used to describe their games. It meant something to the effect of "the joy of watching things move around" akin to watching an ant farm or something. Does anyone know the word?

That would be "wuseln".

Which can be translated as something like: " to move around busily" but in a cute way.
Funnily enough, when "The Settlers 8" was premiered at last years Gamescom the German press immediately went back to that word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

E: Gave it a quick 30 minute check tonight, mind you there is NO SAVING in the beta.

All the new interface stuff is amazing, the new blueprint tool is incredible by itself but there's tons of other little improvements going on too. You can relocate buildings now. All the filtering/chains stuff is a godsend coming from 1404.

The move building and copy existing one functions are also in 2205. Same goes for "no saves". It saves the state of your game world when you exit to title or quit the game. Auto saves are just an emergency function in case the exit save fails. As long as you don't start several games you can just start the game, click continue, play and close the game at the end.

After a few hours it really feels like Anno 1404 with the quality of life changes from the last two games, plus some new additions to keep things fresh. I really like it.

Also take care when you're running a pc setup that might have heat issues. I played it with my maximum fps PUBG config and the game put 100% load on my GTX 970.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Also the addition of trade routes with charter ships is really great. You don't need to build your own ship if you want to transport stuff from another island, you can just create a charter route and a single slot transport ship is summoned out of nowhere for 50 gold upkeep. Makes the early game so much more comfortable as you don't need to build a shipyard and the needed industry just to transport a single resource.

Also, expeditions have a event system like FTL or Battletech. My expedition to capture some ice bears failed in the end, as I didn't bring a hunter and my guys got eaten. Ops.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

We keep getting a desync in multiplayer (both on Team1) as soon as we discover the new world and then the save game is corrupt.

It might not help you but I was missing ships, trees, people and sounds when I first started the game. The repair function found some problems and downloaded another 512 MB. You can try to use the repair function on both systems to make sure that all files are the same version.

But you might be out of luck as the beta forum has quite a few reports in regards to game desyncs :(

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

:thunk:

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Patch time!

quote:

Fixed several desync issues in multiplayer: Thanks to everyone who has tried the multiplayer mode so far, we were able to identify and fix several of the desync issues that you have been running into. We encourage users to who ran into desync problems to give multiplayer another try.

Introducing check of file integrity: We have seen reports of users running into issues due to files being corrupted during download. This update introduces an automatic check to see if any files are corrupted. If that is the case, please do the following: Go to your Uplay library, click on “Anno 1800 Closed Beta”, then click on “Properties” and finally on “Verify Files”.

Balance changes to influence system: We have seen some concerns from testers regarding the influence system. In response to that, this update makes some changes to the influence system’s balance. We also have some general thoughts from the designers for you.

Changed:
Island Expansion: Influence cost for island expansion has been lowered by 50%
Harbor defenses: The number of harbor defenses that can be built without using influence points has been raised. The influence cost of additional harbor defenses beyond that threshold has been lowered by 30%.
Trade ships: The number of trade ships that ca be built without having to spend influence points has been lowered.

Designer’s notes:
We have seen some concerns from player’s regarding the current influence system implementation in the Closed Beta. While we are keep close track of your feedback (as you can see from the above changes), we would also ask you to keep a few things in mind:

Content limitations: As the Closed Beta only gives access to the first three citizen tiers, the player progression and acquisition of influence points is capped in an artificial way that won’t be present in the final version of the game. Right now, players are spending more time on tier 3 than they would in the full game, which leads to a different gameplay behavior where players are looking to progress in other ways, using more influence points than they would likely normally do at this stage This is especially true as the investors (citizen tier 5) are an important source of influence points in the late game.
We have seen some concerns that the current influence system doesn’t give players enough information and details to make educated decisions on how to invest the points. We agree! Our current main version of the game that we are working on already has more and improved tooltips to give players more details, but it sadly did not make it into the Closed Beta in time.
With all of the above said: The influence system is still in development, and any balancing you see now are far from final. We encourage you to keep testing the current system with the above changes and give us feedback!

So with a bit of luck multiplayer is working now.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Krataar posted:

What have people had success with putting in their ships for expeditions?

I mostly go with 3 experts that specialize in the 3 required fields. You can buy those at the npc traders like the prison. For naval power and force it might be a good idea to clean up any pirate ships on the map. They sometimes drop pirates, or items that help with expeditions. However, don't approach the pirate base as those guns really, really hurt.

Additional put a 5 or 10 stack of a food item on the ship, this reduces the moral loss after an event.

In the end it comes down to how high the rarity of your experts/items are. I had a "Extraordinary/yellow/legendary" pirate on one of my pirate hunt expeditions, plus two more captains and a naval power event showed 165% success chance.

Edit:

SubNat posted:

And oh, I am absolutely not above begging for a beta invite, if anyone has a spare one lying around. ( uPlay: SubaruNatale )

Send.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I just watched the review of The Passage that german Gamestar did and their reviewer was really ecstatic. Saying that he would have also payed 20€ for it. Biggest things are the airships and the gas power plants that are fueled from the warehouse. So you don't need to lay train tracks all over your island.

The base game is also free to play for a week starting tomorrow.