Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
About 3 weeks ago I tried to play the steam version of “Dawn of Discovery” I grabbed a while back and found out the game collapses on itself like a dying star in Win 10, hard locking my machine. This was a very sad time. Didn’t do too much digging on fixes since I was legit worried about how bad it locked up everything that first time, but it did lead me to the page for Anno 1800. Super excited for it, gonna be hard to wait 7 weeks since I absolutely am in an island sperging mood. I loved 1404 and 2070 both a bunch, 1404 got more playtime out of me for sure although thinking about it this is probably more that I loving hated early versions of UPlay than anything to do with the game itself.

I kind of gave up on 2205 before they added any of the later content, might need to try it again.

Here’s hoping the game has something like the .rda explorer again too, being able to customize the entire game was fun later on.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

boar guy posted:

i had no idea so many people were in to these obscure rear end logistics management games

The series sells well in Germany IIRC, to no one's surprise. Also it owns and more people should play it. 1404 is decently up there on my favorite games ever list.

I'd be slightly interested in a beta key if any more show up, but I always hate jumping into betas because I burn out on the game before it's finished and never play the release version. I might just wait it out, can't decide. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Poil posted:

It's ubisoft so of course there's going to be drm out the rear end. But hopefully always on crap at least won't be.

The GoG version of 1404 runs perfectly for me on an old crappy computer with 10, so maybe that one would for you too. Unless it's an issue with modern hardware. :sigh:

I've had the same computer more or less for like 5 years and I feel like I played it before (off an iso before I could find it elsewhere), so it might just be a Windows 10/Steam thing since GoG actually puts in the effort to make these games function. I'll check it out, I don't mind giving BlueByte/GoG a few bucks in that regard. Thanks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 30, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
1404/Dawn is probably the best in the series in most opinions so that’s a good choice. I was the guy who had major Win10 problems with the Steam copy of Dawn but others said get the GoG version. That should work fine.

EDIT: I’m not even 100% it was Win 10 but it’s really the only major change I’ve made to my desktop in a long while and random googling implied it. GoG should be safe regardless.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 5, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I’m gonna have to give 2070 another go while we wait for 1800, I bought Deep Ocean but never really got around to playing it. Also UPlay seems a lot less aggressively terrible than the actual 2070 release era so that helps.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
When I bought 2070 I had to stop playing it because UPlay was so aggressively terrible. At least it seems better now, with the 20% discount thing I’ll probably just buy it there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My issue was a little self inflicted because I somehow had 2 accounts, Steam and reg UPlay I think, but recovering and merging those accounts was a loving nightmare and I’m pretty sure it was impossible early on but finding that out took me like 3 days. Anyway it was way easier when I tried again more recently.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 31, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah there’s a little pop up about the 20% for UPlay points thing and in the US at least it says it excludes preorders right in the pop up now. Just gonna grab it from Steam since I have everything else there, excited at the prospect of playing my own video games being more difficult for no reason at all.

Also this is one of the very few games I’ll immediately pay full price for anymore, 1404 earned them a lot of good will in my book.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 1, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I bought the odyssey sale deal a week ago on steam because it was cheaper than just the season pass and I ended up with 2 independent copies of odyssey on UPlay as I already had the base game. I would assume it’s because they are independent digital keys, but in the odd case you cannot buy the 1800 DLC on Steam at all I’m sure they’ll have some way of merging the keys or something, that’s just bad PR for no reason.

I’m thinking if GMG does have a 15% discount for a UPlay key tho I’m changing my mind again.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 2, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
the 1404 scenarios were pretty good, i didn't like 2070s campaign from what i remember of it

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Game feels a little sluggish but I can’t tell if it’s something on my end since I’m not at home, anyways it feels very much like 1404 and I’m a fan

Also filling in dead space with park tiles meaning my obsessive need to use every tile is now rewarded which is loving excellent, although my inability to just plant trees at will means I can't make super efficient lumberyards either.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 12, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
No I mean in 1404 (and maybe also 2070) you could the tree tool to plant trees manually in much higher density than normal, letting you use roughly half of the lumberyard area but maintain 100% productivity. I could squeeze multiple woodcutters or charcoal makers in very tight areas using this, almost as a filler along the island/mountain edges, making very condensed and neat production. No such option in 1800, the only trees are park tiles and they occupy the forest area, not improve it. Lunberyards always replanted naturally.

It’s a little thing and not that important, but I did really like it. Especially since 1800s lumberyards are part of a chain this time, have pretty large working areas and the pathway to connect them already eats up 5-6 of those tiles normally. I like to min/max all the available space on my islands generally, I just like playing like that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 13, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
True, and I don’t mind playing more appropriately in the long run, it’s not a game breaker by any means.

I always have the option of just running a slight sawmill deficit too if I still want to dense pack the forestry buildings. Game does shows the production timers changing so it would be easy to line back up with a little math.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 13, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The new system is a little weird, at least for market buildings. I have a house that is only 86% in range of the market so its functional but missing a occupant for upgrading. It does make it so that the network of your streets is actually important now though, since a good layout actually makes the buildings reach farther since it seems to be total road distance.

also trade unions are very cool, you can get items that do things like take steps out of a production chain and what not, lots of potential to have localized buffs like that available.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There were a handful of things where I liked how either 1404 or 2070 did things a little better, but I know I just need to shake that off and take the new game for what it is, especially since some of that stuff was like Venice additions and what not. I'm excited for Tuesday, I kind of stopped right when I got to level 3 to keep that part intact for the full game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
gently caress, same

we have another day before it’s a thing though

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Did you uninstall the beta? They said there could be issues if you didn’t, not sure if that’s at all the problem but worth mentioning

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Black Griffon posted:

I found the secret to making 2070 fun (no enemies and full refunds) and my greatest struggle right now is finding farm layouts that won't bother me. They're so uneven.

I always tried to play so that I utilize all the space of a given island, partly an OCD thing and partly because I just like doing that, and I find it works really well in this game because of the small modular farming. The union houses make this even more interesting because it means I can make 1 giant island pretty much cover all my major needs by having small fertility zones for the other crops the island doesn't otherwise support. It won't scale up to massive populations terribly well (pullution for one) but I find it to be really neat compared to the more static designs required in the other games. Also since adding trees as filler has its own benefits, having a couple tiles left over is still a benefit and makes things look nice. I haven't noticed any efficiency falloff problems either so long as I keep enough warehouses in play to keep travel times down and keep chains connected by road/proximity, as the farms/crafts both still do direct delivers and will use whatever warehouse is available which keeps things flowing.

I'm just playing the campaign for now, so you can see how I used that island in this case; draw out the city planning (basically just extend the roads out, and then use the outside of that road as my industry areas). I leave the designs open ended, the only rule being to use all the space I can and not cross the road into the city area.

Just an additional cool shot, again the decorative thing being an actual feature this time I find I'm more interested in doing thing like boulevards, and I like that a lot.

EDIT: I just realized you were probably still talking about 2070 in which case, :rip:, yeah the farms are weirdly shaped in that game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 16, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

The Bramble posted:

You need to build empty exhibits first, and then assign animals to the exhibit. It works like placing fields for farms does, so click the zoo building and then the enclosure button from the card. Hope you left a lot of room in the center of your city...

Quoted the wrong post I think

Also did anyone else play 1701? This game feels like it has a ton of direct ties to that, almost like they refreshed that game in a way. This is not at all a complaint, just interesting to notice.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

There are legitimate flaws in the game, it's very hard to get a solid understanding of your income/maintenance and overall cashflow.

The trade interface is horrible.

The campaign hasn't exactly gripped me and the "find waldo" quests are annoying.

Really the game needs a MUCH clearer interface on finances and overall production flow for a resource.

I mean - maybe I'm retarded but I can't find a way to tell how many sawmills I have vs lumberyards easily. Do I have 10 pig farms or 12? I dunno!

My clipper that I bought for 10k is running soap to trade to the prison, but how much money is it making per month? Is it even covering it's upkeep cost vs just selling the soap from the island? I dunno!

I am really enjoying the game - but I'm not surprised to see 80s scores rather than 90s...

Some of this is there just hidden by a terrible UI. You can see the number of production buildings per island when you mouse over their icon in the build menu. Trade history is in the top right corner when you click on a harbor warehouse.

I completely agree though the UI needs a lot of refinement. From the quest menu to the map to the production data, all of it feels poorly laid out in some way or another. If you’ve played the old Annos you can figure it out but it’s not intuitive at all.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 16, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
A production calc is available now for anyone who hadn't typed that into google yet

https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator/

Anime Store Adventure posted:

e: Also with fluctuating income, I found this was often a result of not quite fully meeting your luxury need of schnapps or beer. Those are *huge* money makers but are easy to miss when they’re not deeply unsatisfied.

If a couple groups of houses aren’t getting their liquor on it can really hurt your bottom line. YMMV, just what I observed and fixed by overproducing booze.

Seconding this, when you click on your housing there is 2 tabs now, and the booze is in the happiness tab, which is easy to overlook. I've noticed almost all of my income fluctuation issues are related to running out of booze.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Double post but since I'm finally loving home and can play again, here's some screens of UI stuff that's not obvious.

To see the commodities your pops need, click directly on a marketplace, not the houses:

This puts all the resources on one screen and skips all the service related stuff. You can also mouse over each resource to see how many are in your warehouse, without all the excess from the warehouse screen.

---

When you mouse over the building tooltip, the number on the current island is displayed in there:

---

Click on your harbor warehouse, that little clock looking thing in the upper right is the trade history, why this is so hidden I have no god drat idea

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Not having a static number of houses per tier is probably the most annoying thing to me right now. I can see how many total houses I have but its not broken down anywhere, I think I'm just going to have to do blocks of 10 to 20 so I can keep track. I have no idea how many total people I'm planning for with the calculator because I don't know how many of each house type I have. Kind of really dumb given this information was like front and center in 1404.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 17, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

nessin posted:

Are trains only for oil transport? I just hit Engineers and it seems that way which is super disappointing. I was hoping to go mini-railroad tycoon by converting my resource/production segments to trains instead of carts on roads.

Just buy it on Uplay if you want it, Steam requires it as a backend anyways. Save complaining about EGS for an actual EGS issue.

Yeah supposedly they had bigger plans for trains but it didn't pan out that well so its just oil for now I think

Gadzuko posted:

This is annoying but housing does upgrade in nice clean increments of 10 at least - 10 farmers, 20 workers, 30 artisans, etc. so if you've met all the needs for a particular tier you can divide to get the number of houses.

I did notice that, think I'm just going to do 5x2 blocks then so I can upgrade in intervals, should be relatively easy to keep track of that way until they add that basic rear end UI feature back in.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

SubNat posted:

I'd say that reaching the new world is the start of Act 2, out of 3. Campaign wise. So half to a third, depending on how much you push forwards into it.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the coal mines.
You need engineers to build them, but then they just match the output of a charcoal burner? (Looking at the wiki, anyhow.)

I was hoping they'd atleast have 2x output or something, but they just save space and a bit of attractiveness, provided you have enough coal nodes on the island to supply the industry.

Charcoal burner is :30, coal mine is :15, so they do have double. 1 coal mine and 1 iron mine can uspply 3 steel mills, or 1.5 charcoals.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The vendor lady doesn't seem to drop those from what I saw either. Nice that you can get them from quests at least, but playing the campaign most of the day I was trying to do everything on the first island and I couldn't get hops to show up at all.

The pollution and attractiveness stuff really leads you towards more of diversifying your population by island, didn't really plan for that this first time but it is interesting to see.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I'm still on the fence on this new concept; the pollution and attractiveness really leans into compartmentalizing your population away from that dirty industry, but you need tiers of population spread out over the islands to handle the jobs required. The T4 port building probably helps sure but I feel like that comes way too late in that you're probably going to have a bunch of poo poo to tear down and move around at that point, almost as a matter of tedious busy work.

I'll routinely need like 8-9 schnapps buildings once I'm in artisans but I then want to push all those lower tier workers (or artisans) off to a new island where I'll probably need to rebuild all of those schnapps again or do an excessive amount of inter-island trade compared to 1404 because my artisans don't use the low level stuff anymore? Something about that doesn't sit super well with me; basically the min/maxing would entail completely deleting and rebuilding a bunch of island layouts, which is just awful in anything but full refund mode. Like as mentioned your high pop levels don't even use a bunch of the city buildings that the lower ones do, so the best layouts have you moving all of that out once you're there. That's strange in my head.

Do y'all just trade material to the artisan+ pop island until you can get them levelled up? That seems like one solution I guess, but either way I don't know if I like this over the entirely hub and spoke system of 1404 and before.

EDIT: I think my idea going forward is I put all the tier 1-2 jobs on one big main island that I'll scale up as high as possible on pop until I get artisans settled, then offload tier 3-4 and to another island and just ship them goods. This should let me keep all the pig farms and such off that island, and make city layout easier since I can focus on the actual needs of those pop tiers more exclusively. Then at T4 with the port building I offload the real high pollution poo poo again to another uninhabited place. This is probably the best route for not having to build and rebuild too much.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It’s the first game that ever has you want to seperate the pops tiers to an entirely different island and required jobs for production buildings, which is the alien part. The old method was you were limited in higher tier as a percentage of lower tier housing but everyone stayed on the same island and the higher tiers needed all the previous goods.

Basically in the old game just population number was the limiting factor, now there’s a few more variables and population isn’t really connected to expansion anymore, at least not directly.

Though now I see that I think Im just looking at it backwards, I was annoyed with building up the home of the unwashed masses only to move them and all my intricately placed production out when artisans show up, but I realize now I just leave them alone and put the artisans on the new, clean island and just ship stuff till they shut up.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

I don't understand production chains in this Anno. The chain for Canned food is 8 cattle farm, 8 red pepper, 8 artisanal kitchens and 6 canneries. So what exactly does that mean? Does that mean if I follow this chain exactly I will end up with no waste? I just got Artisans, 6 canneries seems like a huge amount for the number of Artisans I have.

Some of the production buildings and canneries in particular have full chains with a lot of potential excess. The best route to balance it is knowing the exact number of artisan houses you have, multiplying by 30, and putting that number into the calculator for your total needs. When you add houses, just change the pop number. The calc will spit out the number of canneries you actually need and also the intermediate buildings. This is helpful for canneries specifically because they use unrefined iron, which you’ll have to balance against steel production. Thankfully an iron mine can support 3 iron mills or 2+2 canneries so you can get a decent balance there. Put the numbers of steel mills and such you have into the calculator too and you’ll be able to see if you have the mines to support the different stuff.

Worrying about perfection supply/pop demand ratios or item utilization is going to be a lot more trouble than its worth, at least before you have explicitly stopped adding population. Just write down the number of houses you upgrade per tier and punch those pop numbers into the calc. I use two tricks to do that currently, always build farming residences in groups of 10, and upgrade those groups together. Then I can just count groups and multiple by the tier pop (10/20/30/etc). I put the total numbers in the calc and go from there for my exact building counts.

The farmers rediedence build icon will tell you the number of tier 1 houses you have, but the higher tiers are not tracked in this for some reason, so keeping it organized helps immensely to keep your production needs in check.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That's one way to do it - and something I had considered but I find my home island just naturally evolves into the highest tiers. The highest level 'final assembly' buildings are usually the only things in many production lines that requires artisans or above so my production islands tend to just have a smattering of T1 and T2 houses on them to farm and process raw materials before I ship them back. Trying to support higher tiers across multiple islands just becomes too much of a hassle. Maybe that will change when I finally get a chance to unlock Investors, I always find myself restarting once I get to a certian point because I'm unhappy with layouts.

Now if only I could shove more than 10 farmers in a household...

I’m gonna have to play with ideas, I feel like it will be easier to leave the starting island and it’s 40 farms alone than to push pops out to new islands constantly, but we’ll see. I think having two population centers will end up easier than multiple small villages once I get my housing numbers locked in. EDIT: easier prob isn’t the right word but more organized in the end.The calculator that’s available shows the needs of each pop tier specifically, which at first I thought was excessive but now realize is extremely helpful to balancing each of those islands once I do it.

The big thing too is that as mentioned artisans and such don’t need some of the early city buildings anymore too, so reducing maintenance and specializing town halls can go a really long way from experience. This game really seems to benefit from utilIzing those union and town halls as well as you can, so I’m going to chase that for a game or two and see how it pans out.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I am going to give this a shot next time I (inevitably) restart and see if that works out better. I always try and grab a new large island right off the bat so long as it has the fertilities I need so I can just reserve it for later instead of moving all the farms there.

I especially like that when you hover over each need/luxury it tells you what fulfilling it will do. That way on islands where workforce is more important you can focus on supplying that instead of trying to meet every need. Most service buildings (churches, schools and the like) seem to keep everyone happy enough so long as you don't increase production on any industries on the island. Where as trying to provide them with things like schnapps and beer takes up a ton of space and labour.

Yeah i made a small edit, easier isn’t the right word for what it will be but I think it will work better in the long term. Especially if you can get an island with all the tier 1-2 needs and than the other with the peppers/grapes/etc. it’s not really going to be flawlesss till you can move pops around with the port things (mainly to push pigs and iron off to their own hell island) but I think it will let you max out the happiness/income on the artisan/tourist paradise, which is my main goal.

The hard part will be mainly getting the shipping right but I think between the calculator and like a stopwatch if needed it’ll be workable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Nm

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Eiba posted:

I love that buildings have worker requirements now. It's a small thing but it always felt kind of underwhelming to just build a dock, put down a few plantations and call it a day. I love that my little farming island actually has a little farming town with little farmers on it now. For some reason it feels really good.

But it does lead to one particular problem- schnaps. I built a beer colony that had wheat and hops fertility, but no potato fertility. How do I set up a trade route to only send my extra hops from my home island? I eventually just settled a third island, Schnaps Island, to supply Beer Island with schnaps so they'd make beer for my home island, which seems like an overly complicated alcoholic trade system.

The issue is transporting goods that the citizens of an island also consume. This has come up multiple times- trying to get beer island to send back beer and later sausages when they themselves needed beer and sausages. If you just send it all, even if you're massively overproducing on the producer island you'll get periodic shortages. Is there a way to keep a stockpile of a good for domestic use or tell your trade routes to only take the surplus like you can with foreign trading?

The best solution to this I know of currently is determining the exact amount you need on each island, and the time it takes the boat to do the round trip. The game unfortunately doesn’t provide enough of this data at all but the online production calculator should provided you put in the right inputs.

Example, if you have 100 farmer and 50 worker houses, you’ll have 1000 (total) of each type on the island. The calculator should spit out a number on the bottom of the resources like 5.73t/min or something, which is the number you’re looking for. If the boat is 2 minutes round trip, than you need to send 11-12 tons per trip to maintain supply without going over.

It’s a bit tedious and the game should at least present this info directly if not give us the tools to automate, but it should work. The fact that wind direction affects travel speed is really another layer that doesn’t need to be there, but what can you do.

When I get home today I’m starting a new game to focus on this stuff specifically so I’ll follow up with anything interesting i find.

EDIT: I might have to open the XML and pull the consumption values directly from there, but I hope not.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pylons posted:

Is there a good production calculator online yet? Some of these later ratios are making my head spin.

https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator/

Best one I found so far, you have to put in the actual resident counts and not just number of houses, which is why I keep emphasizing building/upgrading housing in sets of 10 or something you can easily keep track of.

The UI falls way short on data like production or consumption totals currently so organizing yourself from the start helps immensely later on.

I really hope they address that lack of presented data with patches/DLC but thats another post.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triarii posted:

It tells you how many of each resident you have if you hover over...something along the top bar. I'm not at home to check at the moment.

Yes but that’s only current residents and not total housing available. Housing without fully met needs do not have their full occupancy. You might have 4613 people currently but the housing for 4800 on the map, and that might be enough difference for another farm. What’s more important is this includes several services, finally getting that church or school built might mean you have 600 more people to supply than you did 30 seconds ago.

Knowing the number of houses you have lets you plan properly and not constantly react to population/supply swings.

If I have 300 farmer houses I put 3000 farmers into the calc and then don’t need to touch the calc again till I add/upgrade houses. That I only have the market coverage for 2964 pops is irrelevant.

This only gets more important as you go up in tier since the higher levels add 10 people per house each. What worked for 3000 farmers will not work for 2000 farmers and 2000 workers.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Eiba posted:

That's a terrible solution! You'd have to adjust it manually each time your population changes, and travel time is variable!

Yeah needing to support pops on your spoke islands definitely complicates things, so trying to find the most reasonable solution is something I’m going to mess with this week.

I’m hoping between the calculator and knowing my housing totals easily it won’t be too bad, but until I get steam ships and extra harbor docks in place it’s gonna suck bad on the shipping side.

Also your potato solution is the same thing I was describing, assuming you are using potatoes at that place too. Unless you get the amount you’re sending close to demand between trips they’ll just build up in the warehouse and pull away from the first island, potentially cutting supply there. Thankfully you can eyeball it pretty close after a couple trips without being too exact.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there an opposite calculator than the one that gets posted? I don't want to have to input number of people, I'd rather just know "Each fishery feeds X people".

Also, can someone explain how electricity works and what I have to do with it? I just got it, and the tool tips are giving me no real understanding of why I should give a drat about it.

The lack of information within this game is incredibly frustrating.

The consumption rates are in the XML and I’m surprised nobody has just laid them out but they prob will. It gets complicated as the different tiers often have different consumption rates in that 1 fishery might feed 80 farmers but 120 workers. One thing you can do immediately is punch in say 200 workers into the calc and then +/- out where the fishery is at 100% utilization. Still tedious but you’ll get your number.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 18, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there an opposite calculator than the one that gets posted? I don't want to have to input number of people, I'd rather just know "Each fishery feeds X people".

Also, can someone explain how electricity works and what I have to do with it? I just got it, and the tool tips are giving me no real understanding of why I should give a drat about it.

The lack of information within this game is incredibly frustrating.

Mayveena posted:

These are the production chains is that what you want?. You'll have to math it out to figure out how many people a fishery feeds though, as the game is traditionally not approached that way. You normally want to know what your peeps want.

Sorry can't help you with electricity, was just getting started before the plague or its equivalent wiped out most of my city.

Thanks for posting the wiki, the production chains doesn’t show it but the specific pages do.

https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Fishery

Looks like the rates per tier don’t change either this time, but the total needs will double because of the pop increase per house.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Production increases require extra inputs because it reduces the time between items being made. The calcuator is adjustable by percentage so you can play with this a little there before doing it.

Not sure on the others.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

HORMELCHILI posted:

Lol from all the posts it seems like just winging it is a thousand times easier than using the calculator

It’s not in the end because you’ll constantly be guessing up with resources, especially in the later tiers. The calcuator sounds complicated and my wordy posts don’t help at all but it’s really just punching in a number and getting the output so you know what to build. The opposite is easier until you have to deal with a lack of clothing or schnapps or fur coats for the 6th time. There’s slightly more up front effort but that’s so you only need to do that once or twice.

Winging it is an entirely valid route though, and fun it it’s own way.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I always play these games with an excess of perfectionism/organization and such, anyone who reads the ONI thread has seen that firsthand. I totally get it’s not for everyone but I figure I’ll share that stuff nonetheless.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 18, 2019