Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Game was delayed until April 16th if you missed that announcement. Close Beta starts on Thursday though, so people will be streaming it then.

No more online-only DRM crap in this one hopefully? I did not play 2205 so I don't know what they did with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'll definitely take one if you've got one to spare.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Megazver posted:

I can only give them to people on my Uplay friendlist, so I need your Uplay name to add you as a friend first.

Should be Gwyrgyn

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't mind an U-Play check to start the game, my issue with 2070 was the always-online part, and the servers would go down every. single. time I tried to play the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was watching some streams of this, and while I really love Anno 1404 and think it's the best of the series and one of the best games ever made, Anno 1800 really looks and plays simply like a reskin of 1404. Maybe there are some new mechanics you get further into the game, but early stuff seems like a carbon copy to the point of parody.

There's a bunch of stuff that's new/different:
- Doesn't have the Occident/Orient stuff from 1404 at all. Maybe something else replaces that dynamic? E: Apparently it's South America and Plantations or something to that effect.

- There are worker types now, like you need Farmers, Factory Workers, and Artisans to run their respective building types. So the population tiers aren't just straight progression so much, you need enough of each tier to keep buildings running. Workers rights/strikes are also a thing now, as is crime and police force and such.

- There's a new Blueprint tool which lets you plan out your city layout without spending resources to build things immediately.

- City attractiveness and tourism is a thing now, and many things effect that, such as decorative placements, pollution, crime, culture, and attractions. With all the new stuff like Zoos and such it sounds pretty Sim City-ish by comparison to 1404.

- There are expeditions now, which are like little COYA segments that require preparation for food/hunting/crafting/ship morale/etc. Stuff like archaeological expeditions to find artifacts, and 'discovery expeditions' which I think is a replacement for how you used to scout islands in 1404.

- Placing fields for farms doesn't require tile tetris anymore, you can just paint in an area more fluidly to fill up to 100% now.

- There seems to be a bunch more information in regards to efficiency now, like the game will highlight the roads that will be used by buildings when you are placing them, and selecting a building highlights any carts carrying their goods around and their quantities. There's are also clear production chain diagrams when building stuff, which I think was added in 2070? Lots of little QoL stuff like that.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 30, 2019

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Unless I'm mistaken, this should be playable in about 15 minutes, for anyone whose still awake out there.

E: Gave it a quick 30 minute check tonight, mind you there is NO SAVING in the beta.

All the new interface stuff is amazing, the new blueprint tool is incredible by itself but there's tons of other little improvements going on too. You can relocate buildings now. All the filtering/chains stuff is a godsend coming from 1404.

Contrary to what I said about the flexible farm areas, only SOME buildings work that way, others are old fashion tile tetris.

This definitely feels super familiar but there's so many new little things and QoL stuff even just from a quick session. Can't wait to get some real play time in over the weekend.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 31, 2019

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

lagidnam posted:

The move building and copy existing one functions are also in 2205. Same goes for "no saves". It saves the state of your game world when you exit to title or quit the game. Auto saves are just an emergency function in case the exit save fails. As long as you don't start several games you can just start the game, click continue, play and close the game at the end.

Oh nice, I was thrown off by the lack of any menu options to Save and that there was apparently no saving in the last beta test. In retrospect, the game even has an announcement for auto-saving every 5 minutes :downs:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They also brought back those 'find the 5 pigs running around town' quests which is nooooooooooooooot great.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There is just Naval combat on-map. They ripped out the land combat entirely from this game.

You can also disable rival factions and pirates if you want as little of that stuff as possible.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I liked them on occasion but they just happened way way too often for my tastes. If they're much more rare this time then I'm all for them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think I'll probably play until I get the highest tier citizens in the beta and then shelve it so I don't get burnt out.

Hoping that the campaign is good this time around too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Megazver posted:

So are we supposed to actually, like, give them feedback and poo poo - and if so, where?

There's a link to the closed beta forums from the Ubisoft launcher.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

"How about a cup of coffee? You've been playing for 2 hours." I have been? :f5h::shepface::coffee:

Xaris posted:

- Aforementioned no more radius on Churchs/Pubs/etc seems kinda bad unless it's secretly a really good thing because now it's more of a transitional gradient instead of binary? I dunno. The fact I can't see Warehouse radius is really bad in particular since so many times a claypit or w/e had no warehouse in view even though I swear it was going to be.

It is, the color of the road shows you what % fulfilled the need can be filled to. So houses far from a pub might still get ~50% filled for example. It's not real helpful when you're placing down buildings without a lot of roads setup, but with relocation being totally free, it seems like less of an issue to me. Would be nice to get some effective radius indicators for it.

Bonus buildings that apply an effect show one very clearly, so it's obviously something the game can already do.

So many more neat little touches everywhere in this game, I keep discovering new and useful details in what the game shows you, and how things tie into one another. I was worried I wouldn't like the theme of this game as much as 1404, but it's grown on me pretty much instantly, and the characters all seem very likable/unlikable which is great. Amazed at how slick some of the menus are, and how good the character models are.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DoD Venice works perfectly fine on Windows 10.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The open beta time limited demo is just the 3 days prior to release of the game. There won't be another closed beta as far we know. Only 3 more weeks until release anyway!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mazz posted:

When I bought 2070 I had to stop playing it because UPlay was so aggressively terrible. At least it seems better now, with the 20% discount thing I’ll probably just buy it there.
The 20% discount didn't work for me but someone from Bluebyte said it's supposed to. So YMMV I guess.

Based on the beta, you could play it entirely offline without internet connections, didn't even give any warnings or anything IIRC. So hopefully this one doesn't have any of the insane issues that 2070 did in regards to meta-progression or just playing the drat game.

The campaign looks pretty legit in this one, neat that it also transitions into sandbox mode once you finish it. Hopefully it's decently meaty seeing as there doesn't seem to be challenge scenarios this time around (betting those are going to be an early DLC though).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SubNat posted:

And to anyone annoyed that it's not on Steam anymore: Don't ubisoft games still force you to use uplay anyhow, even if you have them on Steam?
I've just bought ubi games straight from/for uPlay for the last couple of years, so I'm not sure if they still do that or not, but I remember it being a thing back with Anno 2070, From Dust, etc.

Yes, if you buy it on Steam you're actually just adding a third layer of DRM to it. For example I bought R6 Siege on Steam, so in order to play it I must have both Steam and UPlay running.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Some news came out about the open beta stuff. Tl;dr version:

- Open Beta will be locked to Tier 3 again, but you will be able to play Multiplayer and the Campaign.

- Save games don't carry over to the final version.

- You get a unique decoration for playing in the open beta.

- Starts 8PM EDT on the 11th.

Less than 2 weeks until release now y'all :toot:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SubNat posted:

Playing the game a bunch just to reset on launch day isn't super appealing.
(Especially since I'll probably be binging the game due to it arriving smack dab in the Easter Vacation. )

But I wonder how much you need to play to unlock this.
Just boot up the game and that's it?

After all, knowing how the game works is just going to make the campaign significantly worse as they slowly, slowly plod through explaining mechanics you figured out during the first 5 min of the previous beta.
Yes they say you just need to play at any time during the open beta is all. I'll probably grab it and give multiplayer a quick test and to see how the performance is now. Max recommended specs are pretty low so I wonder if it's running a lot better than the closed beta.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Additionally, it sounds like there's both a campaign and endless modes in the beta (and actual game). So unlike 2205, which was basically just one long tutorial, you can choose to jump right into a map and do whatever you please instead of taking things step-by-step.

In all honesty I don't think I've ever played the campaign in any Anno game before (aside from 2205 where you had no choice). Just endless map after endless map.

The 1404 campaign is pretty alright. It is more or less a big glorified tutorial, but every map is jam packed with little side quests and fun characters and things to do, so it's pretty enjoyable to do.

1800's looks pretty similar from the little bit I eyeballed, but we'll have to see how meaty it is. Apparently once you finish it, it transitions into being free-play mode. Man that questbook tracker is so bad though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Played 3 hours of multiplayer last night with the wife, it's her first time playing one of these games. Worked flawlessly, not a single hitch or hiccup with the connection. Unfortunately I now need to buy a second copy of the game :v:

We did spot one minor bug, the total net income display got bugged out once and displayed a very negative value for a while (like -350 when it should have been +150 or so), but money was still coming in as expected. It worked itself out eventually, but it's something to keep an eye out for anyway.

Oh and I was getting some really oddly laggy/hitchy performance until I switched to windowed fullscreen, now it works perfectly fine. I think it maybe wasn't liking gsync or something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You probably don't have a free cargo slot to pick it up, your ship starts with all 3 slots filled by default (wood/iron/cannons). It's kind of confusing because there are 2 kinds of slots, the cargo slots (top row) and ship items (bottom row), so you might not realize you can't put stuff like quest items into the ship item slots.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mayveena posted:

Yeah I thought the quest items would go in the 'item' slot (imagine that!! :) ) so I'll go find an island to settle and dump the stuff off the ship.
Yeah the terminology is odd and the icons don't distinguish between the two either, it's a little annoying. Just have to remember that unless the item description specifically says 'equippable on/by ships' then it doesn't go into a ship item socket slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

With lumberyards, they will auto-plant trees themselves. You'll notice this if you hover over a tree-less area, it'll say something like: 100% 5:00, meaning it'll take a bit of time to get up to speed because it needs to plant trees first.

For sluggish performance... the game does have a little bit of weird input lag but it's not too bad. Make sure you turn off VSync and have the latest drivers (nVidia released drivers for the game a few days ago). Also maybe try fullscreen windowed, that massively improved performance for me for some reason.