Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Vendettas 2

drat, I was hoping to post ten updates on the first page, but here we are kicking off the second page with the 9th. I can't even fail impressively. Anyway, time for another vendettas block.

Kibayasu posted:

For everything else that happens on screen, in both games really, its a bit weird that they decide to restrain themselves with Aunt Sarah to mostly off screen followed by a comical explosion of blood.

It is a bit of an underwhelming scene. Might have been difficult to make stabbings look sufficiently horrible so they just left it to our imaginations, Bragg is meant to be the star of the scene anyway and it's redundant to try to and make him worse at that point so there's really no way they could've given that moment the impact it needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fiendly posted:

You've ruined this LP for yourself in doing so, because Darkness 2 is a huge ripoff of Splatterhouse (people were pointing that out even back in 2013) and because that LP is way better than this one will ever be. Enjoy!

Other than maybe ripping off ripping out someone's rear end in a top hat as a finisher, don't really see it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Tony Snark posted:

Other than maybe ripping off ripping out someone's rear end in a top hat as a finisher, don't really see it.

I'll point more stuff out as it comes up in the game. Turned out the comparison made back in the 2013 thread was between Darkness 2 and Splatterhouse 2 for the Genesis, where the hero has to save Jenny from Hell after her tragic death in the preceding game, but there are numerous suspicious similarities to the Splatterhouse remake as well.

Anyway, update: Vendettas 3

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Vendettas 4

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 29, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Vendettas takes off from the main plot and does its own thing now? Not too surprising. Curious how you’re going to handle it. And yeah, killing Jackie does seem at odds with the Brotherhood’s goals. Maybe they’re hoping the next host will be easier to sway to their side? Who knows? Still enjoying the videos, hope you feel better soon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I managed to get the Steam version working after several restarts. I was looking for an excuse to play the game and can follow this thread.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Part 5

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really like the graveyard level. The game finally moves away from warehouses, rundown houses, and bright mansions, not that it doesn't go back, and shows it can actually do something interesting. And crashing a funeral always seems to up the stakes no matter where it happens (see Saints Row 2).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Or Yakuza 1 or GTA San Andreas or a bunch of other great games.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
The Punisher lets you hit a mob funeral yourself in one of its better levels. I thought these might all have been references to a famous funeral shootout in a movie, but i dunno, i've played more video games than i've seen movies so i'm probably wrong.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Other great funeral action sequences can be found in Hitman Blood Money and Sleeping Dogs.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kibayasu posted:

I really like the graveyard level. The game finally moves away from warehouses, rundown houses, and bright mansions, not that it doesn't go back, and shows it can actually do something interesting.
It actually does veer away from familiar territory into more interesting locations in the second half. The mansion chapter at the beginning of the next update will be the last one in the game

Kibayasu posted:

And crashing a funeral always seems to up the stakes no matter where it happens
It's such a taboo to attack a funeral that it's meant to shock players into being more invested. It was probably more effective when there weren't so many examples of it, but it still works well enough

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Vendettas 5

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My first experience with the Spear of Destiny was taking it from the Nazis in Wolfenstein, a video game series that has invalidated its own hero’s badass cred by continuing its story in a dystopian alternative universe. But never mind that now.

Always nice when you need upgrading to even hurt advanced bad guy kooks.

St0rmTheGates
Jan 30, 2019
I'm really enjoying your LP. The Darkness 2 has a special place in my heart. I went through a rough patch and had to quit gaming for a while. When I came back and got an XBox 360, Darkness II was the first game I played on it. It was so... next gen.

I never played through the vendettas, just the main story campaign.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Hit List 4

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad you’re showing off alternate dialogue where it’s important.

There was a tv show based on the Witchblade comics on TNT a few years back. Only lasted 2 seasons, I think, and they skipped over all the ‘force female host to be scantily clad’ thing along with most of the violence. I saw a couple episodes, but it wasn’t that great.

The sword that hungers for blood is well established in Japanese folklore. It was made by a smith named Muramasa who rivaled Masamune, the greatest Japanese sword maker. The legend has them going right up against each other in a competition (never mind their historical counterparts didn’t even live in the same century) and Masamune’s swords being judged better. Muramasa swords, it is said, cut everything indiscriminately because they thirst for blood, and this is bad. They pass that fever on to their wielders. The Imperial Treasure Sword of Japan, Kusanagi, has the same name as the Darkness Sword in the game, but I’m not sure it’s supposed to be a Muramasa blade IRL.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Okay, I'm with Johnny: JP's rad. All these ancient artifacts of terrible power, and he just "I made my own."

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Hit List 5

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

achtungnight posted:

There was a tv show based on the Witchblade comics on TNT a few years back. Only lasted 2 seasons, I think, and they skipped over all the ‘force female host to be scantily clad’ thing along with most of the violence. I saw a couple episodes, but it wasn’t that great.

If by "a few" you mean "like 17". (It wrapped up in 2002.) It wasn't amazing, but I strongly suspect it's a better watch than the comics are a read. And I think that first season actually ends up being pretty interesting because, unlike most TV stories, things go really, really south for our hero(es) to the point where the season finale...well. That'd be spoilers. But I appreciated it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Witchblade comics aren't quite as bad as the Darkness ones, so it's not a surprise that an adaptation could be tolerable. Not sure I could handle the early 2000s cable TV budget take on costuming and effects, though. Good thing there's no Witchblade game so I don't have to, eh?

Hit List 6

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 13, 2019

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Part 6

This is the part of my casual playthrough that made me interested in doing this LP, so as much of a slog as it's been to get here, it's starting to pay off as we enter the second half

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That last artifact story had me ROFL. If this was a good game we’d be able to find out those words and use that Hellfire spewing urn as an ultimate weapon.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Part 7

Here's the rest of the level I cut short last time. Completing this gets us the achievement "Date Night" so I guess this counts as a valentine's episode

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Part 8

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fiendly posted:

Part 7

Here's the rest of the level I cut short last time. Completing this gets us the achievement "Date Night" so I guess this counts as a valentine's episode

Kind of wish they had done more with the haunted house ride but I suppose they weren't trying to make it too goofy. Even if Jackie scooby-doos himself into an iron maiden.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I remember dying a lot during the forced stealth section in the last video when I played it. I also recall getting the Darkling Killcount achievement so maybe those respawning guards were good for something. Picking up the 1887 shotgun was cathartic once I got the chance.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Vendettas 6

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
One thing I have to ask- if the Spear of Destiny is supposed to make you undefeatable in battle, why do all the stories about people who get it show them defeated somehow? That thing has a seriously over-inflated reputation.

The Vendettas campaign is a fun action romp, even if the story is a bit lacking. Thanks for showing it off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

achtungnight posted:

One thing I have to ask- if the Spear of Destiny is supposed to make you undefeatable in battle, why do all the stories about people who get it show them defeated somehow? That thing has a seriously over-inflated reputation.

The Vendettas campaign is a fun action romp, even if the story is a bit lacking. Thanks for showing it off.

I don't know but its probably related to why all the bad guys also very helpfully label all the ultra-secret stuff they are carrying in the ships' manifest.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I figured it just means that the wielder of the Spear of Destiny has to sleep/eat/poo poo eventually

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know but its probably related to why all the bad guys also very helpfully label all the ultra-secret stuff they are carrying in the ships' manifest.

They do at least address this in the intro to the next video, it's a bit more complicated than that (but only a bit).

Vendettas 7

I say it in the video as well, but serious CONTENT WARNINGS here for discussions of sexual assault and hate crimes as I get into the worst few issues of Darkness comics I read. You can still watch the first two minutes of the video before I get into it, that's plenty to get jist of the otherwise innocuous level.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Vendettas 8

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congratulations on getting through the Vendettas campaign. Hope to say the same for the main game soon.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Part 9

Alright, I can read a room and it's pretty clear everyone just wants this thing to be over, myself included, so let's roll credits on this poo poo.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

for what it's worth to mention, you've done a fabulous job squeezing entertainment out of this material. It's just, loving yikes, this material :stonk:

make sure your tetanus shots are up to date whenever you handle a property with this many ~^jAgGeD eDgEzZ^~, okay? :v:

e: I also genuinely enjoy the VA for the titular Darkness. This is the only work of his with which I'm at all familiar, but I appreciate just how much fun he's having devouring the scenery

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 6, 2019

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yeah, this series was not really worth dredging up, the writing just hasn't held up, and any time they skirt the lines of having fun, they veer back into dour serious poo poo. The only part that remains essential viewing is Mike Patton as The Darkness, originally a neat gimmick that this famous singer was doing voice acting in the first game, and a standout performance showcasing his years of voice acting experience in the sequel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I give Darkness 2 more credit than it may deserve because it was a game in the middle of the cover shooter/Call of Duty years that was willing to go "actually making the player vulnerable but also overpowered enough to stand in the open is fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
end

see you in hell