Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Monster definitely has the best outfit flairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hmmm...okay monster. I like what you got.

He doesn't have the best voice but that wasn't pitchy or bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Rabbit has to be a former Mouseketeer, I'm still think JC...Lachey seems like a stretch.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
TAKE IT OFF!!!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Rabbit has to be a former Mouseketeer, I'm still think JC...Lachey seems like a stretch.
Could just be a House of Mouse employee. Iirc, Kevin and AJ worked in Orlando.

There's no way Timberlake (also a Mouseketeer) would do this, but Fatone has had a few Disney related works, though he was a Universal Studios park employee.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 21, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:fry:

FilthyImp posted:

Could just be a House of Mouse employee. Iirc, Kevin and AJ worked in Orlando.

There's no way Timberlake (also a Mouseketeer) would do this.

Def. not JC, but the reveal is in seconds!!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weat coast here so I'm behind + gotta wait for the wife to Hulu it on the weekend....
ARE THEY DOING LION + RABBIT THIS WEEK WTF?!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Honestly, I thought Lion sang better than Peacock this week. My mom disagreed but here we are.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Guys I don't think Neil Patrick Harris has a picture of the angel Moroni in his house

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Internet consensus nailed all of the singers so far. Does take a bit of the wind out of the show's sails.
Ratings solid so far. Another season seems like a safe bet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Failson posted:

Internet consensus nailed all of the singers so far. Does take a bit of the wind out of the show's sails.

I am definitely going to not do any internet sleuthing if (when? I think they said they were already greenlit) there's a second season. I still managed to get some of them without help and it's definitely more fun not knowing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also as an aside, I think Monster is going to win because of the mystery. Bee is great but when everyone has her pegged it takes a bit of the mystique out of it, but nobody has come close on Monster yet and I think he's overall better than Peacock.

I'm mostly happy though that my three favorites on the season all made the finals.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Failson posted:

Very safe bet, it was announced January 30th: https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-masked-singer-renewed-season-2-fox-1202545353/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

IcePhoenix posted:

I am definitely going to not do any internet sleuthing if (when? I think they said they were already greenlit) there's a second season. I still managed to get some of them without help and it's definitely more fun not knowing.

Yeah, I felt like I done goofed when I got curious about what people's guesses were online early on because they're all bang-on. Pineapple and Raven were the only two I guessed correctly without seeing any of the Internet detective work.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, I felt like I done goofed when I got curious about what people's guesses were online early on because they're all bang-on. Pineapple and Raven were the only two I guessed correctly without seeing any of the Internet detective work.

Yeah, same. Those two were super easy though. I have been pretty sure that Peacock is who he definitely is from pretty early on, but it wasn't like, while I was live watching his first appearance that it clicked there though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really hope they get BSB Kevin and David Hasselhoff for S2. There's some fun 80s and 90s singers that could be on, too.

Oh and also the Jenny Mccarthy goes to the bad place and far away from the show.

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Wow! Lion.

Margret Cho does a charity karaoke event here in Los Angeles every year and the celeb who was revealed as the lion (not gunna put the spoiler yet) is a staple at them. I've heard her sing a handful of times, but I didn't know she was that good.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Great. Now I'm hoping Peacock is actually Weird Al and he's just been throwing out red herrings the whole time.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1098463563583123462

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

As a huge Weird Al fan I would 100% love it but there's no way, it doesn't sound like him at all.

e: Also depending on when this was taped he might have been on tour.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 22, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

As a huge Weird Al fan I would 100% love it but there's no way, it doesn't sound like him at all.

e: Also depending on when this was taped he might have been on tour.

Yeah, it's extremely unlikely, but a man can dream. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It would be an amazing reveal, because it would even mean that the Marie Osmond slip on Today or wherever was planned.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Can't beelieve Gladys didn't win.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Well it's over...now what do I do?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ratmtattat posted:

I didn't think she had a chance going into tonight. Beeing a known quantity for so long really reduces your buzz so it's going to be harder to get the votes against competition as good as she had in the finals. Though I expected her to place ahead of Peacock, not third.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This was a surprisingly great show and I'm already looking forward to season 2.

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't think she had a chance going into tonight. Beeing a known quantity for so long really reduces your buzz so it's going to be harder to get the votes against competition as good as she had in the finals. Though I expected her to place ahead of Peacock, not third.

:haw:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

IcePhoenix posted:

I’m glad T-pain won, super surprised that a 61 year old who just had knee replacement was able to do all of that, but that had Vegas showman written all over it...still wish it had been NPH or Weird Al!

I hope this gets a second season, but replace Jenny with Kenan.

Also, watching Kenan be so genuinely Star-struck by Gladys was really something! :3:

Ratmtattat posted:

She was too good: no one wants to vote for the obvious winner...that’s not as fun as voting your heart!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Keenan breaking down Bee's importance was a nice moment, as was Nick Cannon being starstruck and basically saying a thank you for prompting his career. Definitely think they can swap him in for McCarthy next season.

That final 3 was tough. The Bee is obviously a singing legend, Peacock was obviously a pop performer of some kind with serious showmanship skills, and Monster was just a loveable enigma.

I can't believe Monster brought his S+ game in such a way because I was so sure it was going to be Rabbit, Peacock, Bee. But his song choice was dead on and left a great impression.

I think that's what tanked Peacock, as the song he chose for the final just wasn't strong enough to put him over the top. I think, overall, the songs for this round weren't as impactful. I Can't Make You Love Me was just shy of great, needed some more soul injected into it to keep it from being too languid.

The finale was... weird? Like a halfassed dress rehearsal? I know you probably couldn't get everyone back for a last few songs, but the Extras Dressed in Costumes thing at the start was pretty obvious.

I want the Hoff next season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Clearly they need to actually get Weird Al for season 2.

Actually he would be incredible as a judge.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IcePhoenix posted:

Clearly they need to actually get Weird Al for season 2.

Actually he would be incredible as a judge.
That's a great idea because he's got excellent musical training and is a great comedian.
Plus he's a nice loving guy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The only obstacle is that he probably can't do it unless they're already filming because he's about to go on tour in a couple months

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FilthyImp posted:

That final 3 was tough. The Bee is obviously a singing legend, Peacock was obviously a pop performer of some kind with serious showmanship skills, and Monster was just a loveable enigma.

I can't believe Monster brought his S+ game in such a way because I was so sure it was going to be Rabbit, Peacock, Bee. But his song choice was dead on and left a great impression.

I feel like the fact it wasn't 100% obvious who the Monster was gave him a bit of a leg up. Did any of the judges guess T-Pain at any point this season?

Maybe it was due in part to the costume being adorable, but I found the Monster very charming. :allears: He should persform dressed like that from now on.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Somehow Monster singing his encore with the top half off and his arms out like he was sitting in a barrel was even stranger than the full costume. Also I suspect that his career is going to be majorly invigorated now that people know how well he sings unaltered.

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Fantastic.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LadyPictureShow posted:

I feel like the fact it wasn't 100% obvious who the Monster was gave him a bit of a leg up. Did any of the judges guess T-Pain at any point this season?

They didn't! I think the only other ones that no judges ever guessed were Antonio Brown (who hardly counts, as the first elimination) and Margaret Cho

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Choco1980 posted:

Somehow Monster singing his encore with the top half off and his arms out like he was sitting in a barrel was even stranger than the full costume. Also I suspect that his career is going to be majorly invigorated now that people know how well he sings unaltered.

:allears:
I'm not sure what left me more tickled pink, how excited he seemed about the win, or him resting his arms on the neck of the costume like some bizarre reboot of Oscar the Grouch.

Plus he dropped a 'surprise' new album (which I haven't heard yet). I doubt it's a coincidence.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Plus he dropped a 'surprise' new album (which I haven't heard yet). I doubt it's a coincidence.

I believe that it's been stated that the entire season was filmed sometime last summer, so I think that'd be a good head-start on getting an album worked on. Having it drop this week would be icing on the cake since the finale would be being talked about too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I hope this gets a second season, but replace Jenny with Kenan.

Good news - it was renewed by the end of January!

FilthyImp posted:

That's a great idea because he's got excellent musical training and is a great comedian.
Plus he's a nice loving guy

+1 from me. Weird Al instantly makes anything better just by being involved in it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Choco1980 posted:

I don’t know a whole lot about T-Pain’s career other than towards the end with I’m On a Boat and the recession-proof Big rear end Chain, plus that one live action episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force where he was Frylock, but as we watched the finale we kinda just figured he could always sing but people liked the auto tune gimmick early on so he kinda just stuck with it v:geno:v

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Season two has begun and we’re already in for a wild ride! Unmaskings in spoiler tags.

The Egg was champion figure skater Johnny Weir. The Ice Cream was Ninja, which means all over the country, people had to explain to their parents what a Let’s Player is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad you dug the thread up! This season's off to a great start--Im actually really impressed by (most of) the contents so far.

As usual, I don't really have a ton of guesses, but currently I am 99% sure that Skeleton is Dan Aykroyd. He's been second fiddle his entire career, he's obsessed with crystal skulls, and there were a couple SNL references in his clue package.

I'm also fairly certain that Tree is Rachel Ray, but I might be totally wrong

Unmasking spoilers: my wife called Johnny Weir before the judges did, I honestly had no idea who he was. I should have seen Ninja coming but I somehow latched onto SonicFox instead (man, SonicFox would have been much better)