Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Shaggar posted:

I had allagash curieux the other day and its fantastic.

allagash is my default beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i’ve never really been a big allagash fan though i’ve nothing bad to say about their beers. they make a lot of belgians and i’m not a huge belgian fan.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hahaha trying to walk somewhere in man jose, especially from that airport; the only place I could walk really in santa clara was like right around my neighborhood, which wasn't bad and there was a nice little park and stuff, but then you'd hit an "expressway" or other major road and that was the end of that

i used to ride my bike to my gym sometimes, but I feel like it was on the other side of el camino and I remember getting across that sucking a lot

i think my bay area airport ranking is like SFO > Oakland > SJC, but driving to SFO sucks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
walking in america is generally inadvisable outside of a handful of places

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
I live in Belmont and it’s both cool and also good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's weird seeing homeless people in the suburbs, but you get used to it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Hmm you know, I didn’t think about it, but there are definitely fewer homeless people in Belmont vs Redwood City where I lived before. 2017 homeless study says only 3 unsheltered, vs 94 in RWC

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it’s me, a bay area liberal who can give you a list of reasons why tearing down homeless camps is a good thing. And don’t get me started on the transit strike!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Hmm you know, I didn’t think about it, but there are definitely fewer homeless people in Belmont vs Redwood City where I lived before. 2017 homeless study says only 3 unsheltered, vs 94 in RWC

mountain view has something like 300 people living in their cars

the city now has a program called "lots of love" where churches and stuff have designated spaces for people living in their cars to part overnight

ofc there's rules for it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Oh yeah there’s lots of people living out of RVs or cars because rent is too drat high. Those count too, but I feel like a person who still owns a car and probably has a job is more of a down-on-your-luck homeless person, hosed by American society and hopefully transitioning back into housing soon, vs the completely insane or drug addicted street folks in SF who need a lot more help and cause much more obvious blight

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i feel like my local safeway has become a covert camping spot -- always a lot of RVs around the lot at night; must not be doing any type of enforcement (yet)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Oh yeah there’s lots of people living out of RVs or cars because rent is too drat high. Those count too, but I feel like a person who still owns a car and probably has a job is more of a down-on-your-luck homeless person, hosed by American society and hopefully transitioning back into housing soon, vs the completely insane or drug addicted street folks in SF who need a lot more help and cause much more obvious blight
yeah definitely. it's a shame cities try to crack down on car/rv dwellers instead of programs to get them back up, it's almost a completely different (but one slipper downward slope) class of homeless that's at a good time to help out on the cheap adn there's nothing wrong with living out of an rv/car and shaming/stigmatizing it is a bad thing.

sf's homeless are some of the worst in any cities ive been to, not really so much in raw numbers as fishmech can readily point out, but the number of turbo mentally ill machette-welding kill-all-black-people and poo poo infront of kids at elementary-school types. i think sf is the only place where i'v seen aggressive harassment (or worse) for people just minding their own business. all thanks reagan/ca killed mental health programs and banned involuntary treatment, and also nimbys refuse to either fund or allow for public housing and mental health hospitals to go up bc muh views/taxes/whatever.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Xaris posted:

. all thanks reagan/ca killed mental health programs and banned involuntary treatment, and also nimbys refuse to either fund or allow for public housing and mental health hospitals to go up bc muh views/taxes/whatever.

such a loving crime.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there's people like that in lots of cities -- its just extra visible in SF

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

median income in silicon valley is over $100k for a household, about double the national average. there are a lot of non tech jobs with higher pay too. registered nurses make about $65 an hour in palo alto compared to about 30 an hour for the average across the country. if you work a federal job the whole bay area has a 39% locality pay adjustment

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Raluek posted:

theres supposed to be a shuttle that goes from the terminal to the light rail, but i guess its not running at midnight

looks like theres actually a sidewalk and crosswalk if you start from the terminal instead of from the parking garage

at least thats better than sfo; i couldnt figure out how to walk from there to millbrae transit at all; every sidewalk i found had a "no pedestrians; violators will be prosecuted" sign

yeah i think after 10 pm the shuttle ran so infrequently i was gonna just be sitting around waiting for a long time and I just wanted to get to sleep at that point

from what i remember (and checking out Street View) the sidewalks didn't actually go anywhere, they just dead ended at the highway

yeah sfo is unwalkable in the big-airport way, but at least it has the airtrain/bart that will get you where you need to go

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if that doesn't lead to a door or something then it prolly went in before whatever that structure is behind it was built

and yeah sidewalks will end like that when you've got really weak local building codes. you see it a lot in places that are essentially run by developers, it's a form of regulatory capture

yeah i mean one end goes into that parking structure but the other end just ends at a 6 lane arterial with no cross walk or curb cut, so what is the point of it at all? just some kind of dumb regulation box to check?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that locality adjustment for doctors at the palo alto VA hospital is $70k, as high as it goes (base is $110k)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I live in Belmont and it’s both cool and also good

cool and good is definitely a stretch

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cheque_some posted:

yeah i think after 10 pm the shuttle ran so infrequently i was gonna just be sitting around waiting for a long time and I just wanted to get to sleep at that point

from what i remember (and checking out Street View) the sidewalks didn't actually go anywhere, they just dead ended at the highway

i was thinking of this route:

you can get to the light rail station from airport drive, or walk along the river trail until the next street, idk which is faster. this mainly came to mind because i sometimes ride my bike home from work along that trail, and i remember passing that crosswalk

qirex posted:

you can't walk there from millbrae, you take bart. the only way to walk across the freeway from the airport is to go all the way north to san bruno

i wanted to get to caltrain, though. it would have been like $5.50 to take bart one stop to the transit mall i could see from where i started

i did find out that theres that samtrans bus that goes there for like $1.50 instead, but still

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that locality adjustment for doctors at the palo alto VA hospital is $70k, as high as it goes (base is $110k)

The irony of physician subsidy like this is that since California is a very highly underserved state for most specialties it makes the Bay Area and Sac the only places in Cali that have adequate numbers of physicians.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that salary qualifies you for housing assistance in palo alto

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.
Salaries vary widely per specialty, though, and generally speaking you get more than what’s on your base salary depending on what you do and how you do it. You tend to do OK in the Bay Area when all the beans are counted. It’s a tough place to break into

unless you’re primary care which is horrible everywhere now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Silicon Valley is a boring suburb where housing prices are absurd.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Moby_Dick posted:

Salaries vary widely per specialty, though, and generally speaking you get more than what’s on your base salary depending on what you do and how you do it. You tend to do OK in the Bay Area when all the beans are counted. It’s a tough place to break into

unless you’re primary care which is horrible everywhere now

that $180k is for newly minted attending hospitalists/internists

if you need to complete a fellowship or two before you can even make enough not to qualify for housing assistance, then your hospital probably has a retention problem and certainly has a recruitment problem, which the stanford hospital system most definitely does

the upside is that the constant churn of physicians leaving the area means it's p easy to get plenty of cheap/free furniture and esp babby clothes and toys if you're on the listserv

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my bitter bi rival posted:

cool and good is definitely a stretch

i'm in a nice quiet building on the side of a hill, across the street from a park, walking distance from caltrain which i take to work, biking distance from everything else i'd ever need, or if i want to drive somewhere it's quick and easy to get to el camino and 101. 2 bedroom, nice neighbors, chill landlord, great weather, safe neighborhood, close to nature, saw some wild turkeys this morning. what more could i ask for

people in this forum are way too jaded about the bay area

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Raluek posted:

i was thinking of this route:

you can get to the light rail station from airport drive, or walk along the river trail until the next street, idk which is faster. this mainly came to mind because i sometimes ride my bike home from work along that trail, and i remember passing that crosswalk

Aha, yeah, that looks like it would be way less treacherous! I guess I didn't try heading in that direction.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cheque_some posted:

Aha, yeah, that looks like it would be way less treacherous! I guess I didn't try heading in that direction.
Did you try Google maps walking directions?

One nice side effect of living in Silicon Valley is all the apps tend to have actual data.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm in a nice quiet building on the side of a hill, across the street from a park, walking distance from caltrain which i take to work, biking distance from everything else i'd ever need, or if i want to drive somewhere it's quick and easy to get to el camino and 101. 2 bedroom, nice neighbors, chill landlord, great weather, safe neighborhood, close to nature, saw some wild turkeys this morning. what more could i ask for

people in this forum are way too jaded about the bay area

I lived in the South Bay from 16 - ~25 and live in Belmont now and this part of the peninsula makes me feel claustrophobic. I don't know if it's cause I have to use el Camino and 101 for everything or because everything is crammed between two highways but I can't shake it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
speaking of the peninsula 280 always feels weird as hell to me -- I know there are cities right next to me but yet all I see are green/brown hills

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

speaking of the peninsula 280 always feels weird as hell to me -- I know there are cities right next to me but yet all I see are green/brown hills

despite having almost 40 million people california is mostly empty

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

it's because the extremely expensive houses around those hills don't like streetlights so it's almost completely unlit at night

it is not a safe road i hate it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

its because both sides of 280 are owned by stanford or the extremely wealthy (but i repeat myself) from los altos up to burlingame.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

280 on the peninsula is like my favorite interstate highway. huge fuckin lanes, check out the trees, fog, reservoir, doesn't feel like you're near silicon valley at all. and outside of commute hours there's not much traffic so it's way less stressful than 101

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
280 also feels completely incapable of properly dealing with rain; but that also goes for a lot of bay area roads

also as a former rural-liver I'm used to driving freeway and highway systems in complete darkness

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

also as a former rural-liver I'm used to driving freeway and highway systems in complete darkness

god driving country backroads at night threw me off the last time i went to visit relatives.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i only watched the first season
are they still going

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

280 on the peninsula is like my favorite interstate highway. huge fuckin lanes, check out the trees, fog, reservoir, doesn't feel like you're near silicon valley at all. and outside of commute hours there's not much traffic so it's way less stressful than 101

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

280 also feels completely incapable of properly dealing with rain; but that also goes for a lot of bay area roads

the problem is that 280 is not at all a tiny rural road but rather an enormous arterial carrying thousands of vehicles per hour at peak

it needs lights, even the scenic parts

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
im in sf right now this city is a clusterfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you're in sf just go north or south until it's good again. don't go east

• Locked thread