Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

good jovi posted:

i was in Santa Clara for a conference and walked a few blocks to the liquor store. halfway there, the sidewalk just stopped. no crossing or anything, just walk in the dirt now, you filthy pedestrian.

yeah this is extremely common in many suburbs across america, even having some sidewalks is a loving luxury. i've been to places in tennessee and california whiteflight burbs where you dont even have sidewalks, just strips of dirt/shoulder

afterwall, you wouldn't want "those people" to walk up and steal your tv now would you???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Oh yeah there’s lots of people living out of RVs or cars because rent is too drat high. Those count too, but I feel like a person who still owns a car and probably has a job is more of a down-on-your-luck homeless person, hosed by American society and hopefully transitioning back into housing soon, vs the completely insane or drug addicted street folks in SF who need a lot more help and cause much more obvious blight
yeah definitely. it's a shame cities try to crack down on car/rv dwellers instead of programs to get them back up, it's almost a completely different (but one slipper downward slope) class of homeless that's at a good time to help out on the cheap adn there's nothing wrong with living out of an rv/car and shaming/stigmatizing it is a bad thing.

sf's homeless are some of the worst in any cities ive been to, not really so much in raw numbers as fishmech can readily point out, but the number of turbo mentally ill machette-welding kill-all-black-people and poo poo infront of kids at elementary-school types. i think sf is the only place where i'v seen aggressive harassment (or worse) for people just minding their own business. all thanks reagan/ca killed mental health programs and banned involuntary treatment, and also nimbys refuse to either fund or allow for public housing and mental health hospitals to go up bc muh views/taxes/whatever.

• Locked thread