Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i think i'm going to move to humboldt county, i lived there before and loved it, but the economy sucks and jobs suck. however if you're a programming making $$$ remotely it's a fantastic wonderful place to live that's cheap and beautiful.

mega agreedo I wish I could do this but also I think my wife might kill me -- humboldt, mendocino, del norte, etc

qirex posted:

it's a boring suburb where everything costs twice as much as it's supposed to

also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
close second would be some cascade or sierra mountain town -- id put up with snow again for that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
California beer snobbery is epic

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ocrassus posted:

First time I went to San Fran I was so hyped. Alcatraz was literally the only good thing about it. Silicon Valley is just an endless, tedious suburbia.

wait until you see pretty much all of the rest of California

really anywhere that isn't Mega City One or, being generous, core Chicago

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
What about printed menus that they stamp out the kicked ones on?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

good jovi posted:

i was in Santa Clara for a conference and walked a few blocks to the liquor store. halfway there, the sidewalk just stopped. no crossing or anything, just walk in the dirt now, you filthy pedestrian.

I’ve encountered that in NOVA too — they even had crossing signals for the intersection but no sidewalks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hahaha trying to walk somewhere in man jose, especially from that airport; the only place I could walk really in santa clara was like right around my neighborhood, which wasn't bad and there was a nice little park and stuff, but then you'd hit an "expressway" or other major road and that was the end of that

i used to ride my bike to my gym sometimes, but I feel like it was on the other side of el camino and I remember getting across that sucking a lot

i think my bay area airport ranking is like SFO > Oakland > SJC, but driving to SFO sucks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i feel like my local safeway has become a covert camping spot -- always a lot of RVs around the lot at night; must not be doing any type of enforcement (yet)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there's people like that in lots of cities -- its just extra visible in SF

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
speaking of the peninsula 280 always feels weird as hell to me -- I know there are cities right next to me but yet all I see are green/brown hills

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
280 also feels completely incapable of properly dealing with rain; but that also goes for a lot of bay area roads

also as a former rural-liver I'm used to driving freeway and highway systems in complete darkness

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol bringing a car to sf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i wonder how some of those folks will feel after some sterile mumps kids make the headlines

• Locked thread