Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

florida lan posted:

silicon valley is a giant rear end strip mall with excellent chinese food that you will never be able to afford a house in

also all the beer places have menus like this

ah yes i'll have a shot glass of your finest ale, my good man *slaps down $20*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i refuse to buy any beer poured less than 16oz

the only exception i'll allow is pliny the elder at 13oz, and that's pushin it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm really not kidding you see this everywhere here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
p sure that place serves the 6 oz pours in white wine glasses

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

my bitter bi rival posted:

ive been in the bay too long cause those prices look fine to me. :smith:

the one on the bottom right would be almost $20 for a full pint

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

cheque_some posted:

ive always wanted to ask H.P. Hovercraft, just what is the point of this sidewalk. it's even got the raised bump pad like they're expecting a blind person to cross here.

Landed at SJC at like midnight and was planning to take the light rail to my hotel

turns out the 'airport' light rail station is several blocks away and the airport is pretty much surrounded by freeways. i almost died after finding the one way out through the parking garage, running across six lanes of traffic, then having to go across the freeway overpass without a shoulder or sidewalk, then cross the on-ramps on the other side. After that, though the sidewalks started at least.

i think it's just as much a self fulfilling prophecy of "why pay for something no one will use"

if that doesn't lead to a door or something then it prolly went in before whatever that structure is behind it was built

and yeah sidewalks will end like that when you've got really weak local building codes. you see it a lot in places that are essentially run by developers, it's a form of regulatory capture

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's weird seeing homeless people in the suburbs, but you get used to it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Hmm you know, I didn’t think about it, but there are definitely fewer homeless people in Belmont vs Redwood City where I lived before. 2017 homeless study says only 3 unsheltered, vs 94 in RWC

mountain view has something like 300 people living in their cars

the city now has a program called "lots of love" where churches and stuff have designated spaces for people living in their cars to part overnight

ofc there's rules for it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that locality adjustment for doctors at the palo alto VA hospital is $70k, as high as it goes (base is $110k)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that salary qualifies you for housing assistance in palo alto

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Moby_Dick posted:

Salaries vary widely per specialty, though, and generally speaking you get more than what’s on your base salary depending on what you do and how you do it. You tend to do OK in the Bay Area when all the beans are counted. It’s a tough place to break into

unless you’re primary care which is horrible everywhere now

that $180k is for newly minted attending hospitalists/internists

if you need to complete a fellowship or two before you can even make enough not to qualify for housing assistance, then your hospital probably has a retention problem and certainly has a recruitment problem, which the stanford hospital system most definitely does

the upside is that the constant churn of physicians leaving the area means it's p easy to get plenty of cheap/free furniture and esp babby clothes and toys if you're on the listserv

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

speaking of the peninsula 280 always feels weird as hell to me -- I know there are cities right next to me but yet all I see are green/brown hills

it's because the extremely expensive houses around those hills don't like streetlights so it's almost completely unlit at night

it is not a safe road i hate it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

280 also feels completely incapable of properly dealing with rain; but that also goes for a lot of bay area roads

also as a former rural-liver I'm used to driving freeway and highway systems in complete darkness

the problem is that 280 is not at all a tiny rural road but rather an enormous arterial carrying thousands of vehicles per hour at peak

it needs lights, even the scenic parts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the fact that you can even get exemptions from vaccines for non-medical reasons is an abomination.

the fact that it's not a #1 concern and focus politically really shows what kind of people swarm the area.

they passed stricter vaccination laws in 2016 that eliminated non-medical exemptions and tightened up requirements for school registration

also they've been cracking down on the rich people docs who've been writing sketchy medical exemptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
or giving birth to babbies blinded by rubella

• Locked thread