Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

venus de lmao posted:

it was 6 years ago, can people not read dates?

Listen, I'm not letting a calendar tell me to not laugh at the onanism-and-basketball otter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I'm an otter and I done jerked myself half blind, so small text puts me back on my heels somewhat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the otter died six years ago and...?

have you been paying attention to how things have been going recently?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I'm an otter and I done jerked myself half blind, so small text puts me back on my heels somewhat

How are your skills on the basketball court?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The otter was brought back to life and then it proceeded to wank itself to death again. How is this so hard to understand?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By the by, FUN FACT: They called him Harambe because gorilla be haram.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

How are your skills on the basketball court?

Real jizzy, bud. Stuff's everywhere

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

the otter died six years ago and...?

have you been paying attention to how things have been going recently?

Been real poo poo since that otter died.

Coincidence?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

venus de lmao posted:

you can't read here, this is the tweets thread!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mistake, or intriguing new concept for restructuring the week? No wednesday but two saturdays. I like it.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

venus de lmao posted:

... oh yeah probably nothing bad happened since 6 years ago ok pack it up everybody it was obviously wrong

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tiggum posted:

Mistake, or intriguing new concept for restructuring the week? No wednesday but two saturdays. I like it.

I have Wednesday off but have to work on Saturday, very much opposed.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://bsky.app/profile/emsparkly.bsky.social/post/3konz3c3ktk2o

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Two posts about Calvin and Hobbes and you’re on this level? You doin ok? Your poops solid lately?
I got probated for posting about Calvin and Hobbes once, it's serious business

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

No ring.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Read another anything Jesus gently caress.

I mean, I haven't seen much noir but that legit made me want to start, so if you've got some recommendations then go right ahead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Read another anything Jesus gently caress.

Post your favorite Donald Duck comics.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

I mean, I haven't seen much noir but that legit made me want to start, so if you've got some recommendations then go right ahead

Dunno about films but the Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler are well worth reading.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Is Perdido Street Station technically considered detective noir? Asking sincerely, I don't remember ever reading any definitive books in the genre

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

boofhead posted:

Is Perdido Street Station technically considered detective noir? Asking sincerely, I don't remember ever reading any definitive books in the genre

Wait, what, no

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

boofhead posted:

Urban Fantasy my dude

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Urban fantasy for sure but doesn't it have a huge amount of broody cynical type in grim city gets commissioned to investigate some poo poo that opens a whole can of worms

Maybe I need to look up what defines noir, I guess he's not really a detective even though he's doing a lot of detecting

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'd go with the Dresden files

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Codex Alera was a better Butcher series, even though it's absolutely not relevant here

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Noir is a film style anyway. Literature is hard-boiled.

:can:

Then again The Big Lebowski is a text-book hard-boiled crime story but it isn't film noir.

e: It's a text-book pastiche of a hard-boiled crime story.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hyperlynx posted:

Strangers on a Train, North by Northwest, the Maltese Falcon. There are kind of different eras, with the detective stories mostly being from the 40s, iirc. You can pretty much go down the list on Wikipedia and cross check with rotten tomatoes, at least for a starting point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you want noir, watch "Du rififi chez les hommes" (the book is dogshit and creepy, so do NOT read it).

If you want hard-boiled, read Hammett (do NOT read CJ Daly).

If you want "I'm imagining Humprey Bogart in the rain", read Chandler.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If you want noir but from the criminal point of view read the Parker series by Richard Stark, a pen name of Donald Westlake. Almost every book has the basic structure of "heist, someone stupid tries to screw Parker out of his share, Parker focuses mechanically and ruthlessly on getting his share"

Amazing action writing, if you like heist movies I can't recommend them enough.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Where does "The Long Goodbye" land on this scale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lookabee83/status/1772998598977843362

I know which one I am. And I definitely know which one you are.

For baby's first noir I recommend The Big Sleep, it's Bogey and Bacall and you'll watch it and go "oh that's where that comes from" 100 times. Double Indemnity is another one that got copied over and over.

Speaking of incredible filmmaking
https://twitter.com/tdcpresents/status/1773160918475555173

zoux has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Mar 28, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/sillyborja/status/1773155128603721919

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you want noir, watch "Du rififi chez les hommes" (the book is dogshit and creepy, so do NOT read it).

This warning also applies to L.A. Confidential.

But as for a good noir, there is always the Yiddish Policemen's Union.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I can’t read

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://bsky.app/profile/babyshoes4cash.com/post/3koqpnvli2426

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Happy Opening Day!

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1773370132175241281?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://x.com/shayan86/status/1773397361252864432

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

well he's definitely stupid, checks out

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God dammit. I made this silly video nearly four years ago and somehow it is still relevant. Extremely broken brains as far as the eye can see.

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1261265002356445185

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Flint_Paper posted:

God dammit. I made this silly video nearly four years ago and somehow it is still relevant. Extremely broken brains as far as the eye can see.

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1261265002356445185

This will never not be relevant, I'm afraid. I played it for MY WIFE who pointed out that I used to wear regular ol' KN95s and now we are in a trans polycule. If only I'd listened to thie video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It still boggles my mind that the USA somehow managed to politicise a virus.