Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I may be old, but that story has some combination of OP’s grandparents playing C:SotN while already being parents, or teen pregnancies, or OP being too young to be on the Internet.

Yeah, it's been 27 years since SotN came out. Parents with a younger kid have had more than enough time for that kid to grow up and have kids of their own and for those kids to be teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
if i had living grandparents, i'd let them play videogames

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would deny them as is my birthright.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's been 27 years since SotN came out. Parents with a younger kid have had more than enough time for that kid to grow up and have kids of their own and for those kids to be teenagers.

Yes, it is possible for an adult in the 90's to also have played a videogame.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
This would imply that time has passed and I am older, which is deeply disturbing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/I_Am_CyberSmith/status/1781784027315233004

A post only the human pet guy could make.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Ya gotta stop making him seem sympathetic.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Griddle of Love posted:

Ya gotta stop making him seem sympathetic.

The words are "simp" and "pathetic" not some weird portmanteau of them both.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Inceltown posted:

Oh ok

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Platystemon posted:

I may be old, but that story has some combination of OP’s grandparents playing C:SotN while already being parents, or teen pregnancies, or OP being too young to be on the Internet.

My mom played stuff like Tetris in the 90's and I'm 44. I suppose it's not too crazy that some 90's mom was into SotN?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hippocrass posted:

My mom played stuff like Tetris in the 90's and I'm 44. I suppose it's not too crazy that some 90's mom was into SotN?

I had a friend in the 90s whose grandmother could beat Castlevania 3.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
My BFF's mom played a lot of Sega with us in the 90s, plus various Nintendo stuff up through the Wii. She pretty much only stopped because she's legally blind and really can't see the prompts any more. His older sister has kids who've graduated high school so yeah, it's not entirely impossible.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think old people should be encouraged to play video games. Better than letting them sit around the nursing home waiting in vain for their grandkids to call or giving each other STDs

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Inceltown posted:

huh, I hadn't realized that 'simp' seems to have fallen off really hard until this post, you still hear people say poo poo like beta and cuck but not so much simp

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m a grandpa. I stopped playing video games in the early or mid 90s I think and didn’t play a ton before then either

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

This seems like it might be a good post until you click through and see it's about how much he hates people who smoke weed

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think old people should be encouraged to play video games. Better than letting them sit around the nursing home waiting in vain for their grandkids to call or giving each other STDs

I’ve bad news none of these things are exclusive of each other. Even back in the Wii era in retirement communities they would play video games (wii bowling and sports were big), depressingly sit and wait for their children to call, and also rampantly spread genital warts around the community.

They have a great deal of time, could even add a couple of serious hobbies to the list.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

wash bucket posted:

I had a friend in the 90s whose grandmother could beat Castlevania 3.

Grandma’s Boy was a documentary

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think old people should be encouraged to play video games. Better than letting them sit around voting

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

What is a grandparent? A missable little pile of secrets.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Explaining the plot of Kingdom Hearts to my 98 year grandma

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People really do be like "oh poo poo the march of time came for me too wtf?!"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

At a game dev meetup I go to sometimes, I found myself explaining to a fresh-faced kid of 18 that actually the Unreal game engine originally comes from a very successful video game series, and I felt the sands of time scour the very flesh from my bones where I stood

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyperlynx posted:

At a game dev meetup I go to sometimes, I found myself explaining to a fresh-faced kid of 18 that actually the Unreal game engine originally comes from a very successful video game series, and I felt the sands of time scour the very flesh from my bones where I stood

How old's your av, by the way?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

syntaxfunction posted:

:smith:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

How old's your av, by the way?

32 years.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

I love this.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I still put on the original Unreal soundtrack from time to time, and yeah, ouch lmao

I wouldn't call Unreal itself all that successful a game series, but UT certainly was.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

Show them the "yes, this is an actual screenshot" magazine cover.
I guess it still works but in a derogatory way now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

grittyreboot posted:

Explaining the plot of Kingdom Hearts to my 98 year grandma

Doubt it's any more convoluted than one of the main soap operas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't know who Ben Collins is, is this good or bad?

The Onion's old video stuff was excellent so if that's what he's talking about bringing back that sounds promising.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's better than a venture capitalist firm owning it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Send it to the Blind Letter Office, they get five out six envelopes where they're supposed to go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Biplane posted:

Send it to the Blind Letter Office, they get five out six envelopes where they're supposed to go.

It goes here.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
DEAR SAD DIEGO ZOO I herd u care for aminals So i sent u this leter filled with tix and miwipeeds and brown wreck lose spidres

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Dear sad diego zoo have you seen my frog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother beat twilight princess and skyward sword