Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

This was my favorite reaction to when Twitter doubled the character limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/822108746247585792?lang=en

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/807668998665973760?lang=en

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Something definitely happened to dasharezone. The quality absolutely fell off a cliff about a year ago. But no one ever posts any real evidence. It’s all rumors.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Women can gently caress men!!

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

I nominate "Dril has too much influence, he is turning the anime community against itself" as a good tweet. Or at least a hilarious one.

Yeah, I hope dril sees that one. I’m sure he’ll think it’s hilarious. Why, that’s the kind of tweet that reminds a man why he got into the shitposting business in the first place.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Patrick Stewart high as a kite with his wife and giving an acting lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFMrBldVk0s

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

People thought Affleck was not suited to the role. However, Dreyfuss would have been an even stranger choice because of his age. In fact, there is absolutely no chance he would have been considered for the role at all.

Dreyfuss is also widely considered an egotistical rear end in a top hat. I think everyone knew the original tweet was a joke, but it’s funny to imagine him actually getting mad at Affleck getting the role instead of him.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

It's gotta be the cat. The cat is hushing the man, who presumably was running his mouth with some bullshit excuse about why he has to keep his space heater closer than 3 feet to some flammable objects.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Giving your old TV to a retro gamer counts as recycling imo

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

You’re right. How could I forget the three Rs.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Unfortunately I think Karl Marx Novelty Dildo Enthusiast is too long to be an SA username.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Hold on, I know this one... I've been posting here for a long time.

EVERYONE IS GARBAGE FOREVER

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/aedison/status/930568516549390337

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

The pig bomb has gone off, folks. It's a pig epidemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrSu5be8R4

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

30-50 feral hogs is the best meme of the summer

I know it just started yesterday, but I think it’s the best of the year. I’m laughing at so many of these.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Well, I disagree, sir or ma’am. I. Dis. Agree.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I honestly feel the opposite. I feel like the 90s were a lifetime ago, deep in an inaccessible past.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Might be time to step away from goon thoughts for today

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

The thing that’s always bothered me about that joke format is that it should say “everyone” instead of “no one”.

If no one is saying anything, that means everyone is saying nothing. If no one one is NOT saying anything, at least someone is saying something.

:)

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Eschenique posted:

I'm I the only person in the world rooting for Jay Leno in his feuds with Letterman and O'brien? I just think Leno is funnier than either.

thatsbait.gif

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

i also thought the frog caption was a little overdone :colbert:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

The Monster with 22 Selfies

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

There are only so many possible careers for you if your name is Dick Warlock.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Some brown, uh, rust coloration.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I did not find the dril trailer funny at all, but his tweets have been absolute loving genius for years and years, so I hope they cut him a fat check.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

what kind of deranged loving weirdo would not laugh at that

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I’ll risk the lives of a thousand Parisian children for a single succulent beefsteak.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I want to marry this photo

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I don't think this person has ever been to an improv show.

Instead of no one laughing, the audience is composed entirely of people who do improv or are friends with people who do improv, so they show their support by laughing at absolutely everything, no matter how terrible.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I actually don’t hate improv, and the reason I could make fun of it from experience is that I’ve been to many improv shows. When it’s good, it’s absolutely stunning. I’ve seen multiple shows that were hilarious, original, and even emotionally moving, all at the same time.

It’s just that it’s a rare hobby where the only real way to practice it is in front of other people. An aspiring novelist can crumple up their lousy efforts and throw them in the trash. People with less than a thousand hours of improv experience must show their shortcomings to a live audience. It takes bravery!

IMO, it is also OK to acknowledge that if the show features inexperienced performers, it is very unlikely to be funny. The ones who will get good probably understand this.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

doverhog posted:

What stops you from practicing improv in front of a mirror, or with your brother in a garage?

You can practice with other people in a room and it does help, but very, very often, audience laughter comes as a COMPLETE surprise in improv. That’s a pretty much universal experience. So getting to the point of knowing what actually works is harder than it sounds.

Of course, artists misjudge their own work often in all kinds of art forms. I can’t prove the effect is larger in improv, but I’m convinced that it is.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Some of these are loving genius. Thank you so much for posting this.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I had a gun person tell me that Swiss adults are required to always carry a gun in public. Imagine believing that.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

"Scientists do [whatever weird thing]. Still no cure for cancer," was literally the joke that appeared in the headline on Fark every time there was a weird science article. It's a really dumb, tired joke, that belongs in the trash can alongside, "I got them all cut."

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Santa’s Not Real

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Every president in my life has been terrible, but GWB is the only one I think should be hanged. Maybe I'm too soft though.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

When I was a 14 year old fan of Harry Potter, and only the first four books were released, I was sure Rowling would do more to address the moral heinousness of the wizarding world.

There's a storyline in the fourth book where Hermione finds out that Hogwarts has a staff of slaves. Yes, for those of you who haven't read the books, the wonderful magical boarding school is literally staffed by slaves. Hermione is horrified and starts an activist organization to oppose it. She fails to rally anyone to her side, and most people just dismiss her and say that everything is fine. To 14-year-old me, it seemed obvious that this storyline had to be resolved by Hermione winning, and with slavery being abolished in the wizarding world.

Well, that doesn't happen. And everyone just goes right on living like everything is fine. Harry doesn't care. Ron never stops actively defending the practice of slavery. And other characters think Hermione is an unreasonable harpy for whining so much about the issue.

There were many other disappointing realizations over the next few years of my life until I realized that the books were completely morally bankrupt. And then Rowling started tweeting and things got even worse.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

[whispering to date while reading takes on how Harry Potter is problematic when something problematic first appears on the screen] That's problematic

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

I thought that was called a wine cellar

This is the first time I'm hearing the words "wine cave." I'm not an expert on wine caves. You might even say that I'm a wine cave novice.

But I think a wine cellar is a storage room for wine, and this looks like it's a place to drink wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Growing up, we had Cosby's book Childhood. I read it when I was about 12, and I thought it was hilarious. Almost the entire thing was excellent. Except near the end there was this one chapter that I thought was bizarre, and not funny, and actually pretty disturbing. He tells the story of a time he and his friends believed they obtained some "Spanish Fly" and dosed some girls with it to induce them to have sex. (It did not work.)

It was not even a little bit funny, and I couldn't understand what it was doing in this funny book.