Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Guy A. Person posted:

I wholeheartedly agree, it's just that the nitpickers are who(m?) the "it had to be this way because a space wizard said so" logic is directly aimed at, and who ate that explanation up. And not incidentally, it seems to be the same group of people nitpicking other blockbuster movies for being "dumb" and full of "plot-holes".

Like, if you're smugly answering someone going "this part seemed dumb" by using the in-movie explanation of "no, see, the movie already explained to you that it had to happen this way :smug:" then you're not really avoiding the nitpicking, you're just engaging at it from a different angle

Yeah I already fully accept this head-canon into my life

Yes it works both ways. I didn’t think of it this way actually. Now it annoys me too.

Short version stop caring about nitpickers movies!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Huh, OK, I guess I missed that.

No worries. I remembered it because I watched the movie with a similarly cinema-minded friend of mine online and we were both like “does it still count as rape if she doesn’t know he-WHAT THE gently caress”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teacup posted:

Yes it works both ways. I didn’t think of it this way actually. Now it annoys me too.

Short version stop caring about nitpickers movies!!!

lol my sincere apologies

But agreed, eff off nitpickers!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If John McClane had his gun out and ready to fire at a moment's notice when every movie began, he could just shoot the bad guys in the head and fix everything. Instead, there's fairytale logic and dramatic stakes for some reason.

*puts on Metal Gear Solid, lures one soldier after another to their doom by knocking on a wall*
Heh heh, morons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The reason the Dr. Strange thing works is because he gets snapped out of existence and isn't around for all of Endgame. So the characters can't turn to him and be like "hey maybe we should do this...", because he's not there. All they can do is try to figure out a solution and hope for the best.

Strange coming into play at the very end where Tony is thinking of doing something really stupid and he's there at the crucial moment to say "yea, that's what you have to do, sorry" is actually pretty great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The point of that maxim is that you should be careful what you wish for because you might not actually want it, not to be careful what you wish for because an evil genie might exact a penalty that leads to the end of the world.

In the movie Big, Josh wishes he was an adult but learns that he didn’t really fully understand the ramifications of his wish and only saw the good sides of being an adult but didn’t appreciate the joys of being young. He learns this through living out his wish and gaining a deeper understanding of the complex nature of adulthood.

In WW84 Barbara wishes she were as poised and confident and strong has her coworker she admires and an evil genie literally steals her kindness, the lesson being that you can’t be sexy and confident and strong without also being a bad person, unless you’re Wonder Woman who is all of those things and also a good person.

And Diana wishes she had a departed loved one back which doesn’t even make sense in the “be careful what you wish for” sense because it’s a perfectly harmless and understandable wish that somehow turns horrifying when he does a body snatching except nobody in the movie is even horrified about that and the only ramification is the loss of her powers which she doesn’t care about anyway except that it turns out that she needs them to save the world from things that aren’t the consequence of her wish.

And then at the end she tells everyone not to wish for things because the world is beautiful as it is and that the truth is the most important thing there is (what truth?) while we flash back to Lord being beaten as a kid.

That's where the lesson from the Olympics at the beginning comes in, Barbara can totally be a good person as well as poised, strong and confident but wishing for those traits is taking a shortcut instead of actually taking the time to grow as a person. Diana can stop being alone in the world by making an effort to reach out develop emotional bonds with the people around her but takes a short cut by wishing for the return of a safe and comfortable relationship. The irony is both woman would have the end results of their wishes by exploring the budding friendship between each other as each teaches the other. That's what WW84 is at its heart, a lovely Hallmark movie with the moral denouement cut out for WW beating up some Arabic folks and another blue sky beam.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sticklefifer posted:

Really I feel like the Endgame solution should've been "page Carol much earlier".

I do like the explanation that Strange knew how dangerous Stark was though, and saw that the timeline needed both to die in order to survive. It begs the question though; if he saw all possible futures, wouldn't he have seen Alt-Loki steal the Tesseract too? Seems like he would know the Multiverse is coming, considering the new shows are leaning into the idea, and he seems to figure heavily into introducing that concept in the upcoming movies too.

He looked at all possible futures not all possible pasts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's where the lesson from the Olympics at the beginning comes in, Barbara can totally be a good person as well as poised, strong and confident but wishing for those traits is taking a shortcut instead of actually taking the time to grow as a person. Diana can stop being alone in the world by making an effort to reach out develop emotional bonds with the people around her but takes a short cut by wishing for the return of a safe and comfortable relationship. The irony is both woman would have the end results of their wishes by exploring the budding friendship between each other as each teaches the other. That's what WW84 is at its heart, a lovely Hallmark movie with the moral denouement cut out for WW beating up some Arabic folks and another blue sky beam.

I honestly don't remember if she even lays a hand on them, she disables their vehicles. Steve punches a few. In all of her fight scene she shows an unwillingness to give anyone any injury.

Which is weird when at the mall she subdues everyone without hurting then, snap cut to them being dropped onto a police car from 50 feet up (still uninjured somehow!)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I honestly don't remember if she even lays a hand on them, she disables their vehicles. Steve punches a few. In all of her fight scene she shows an unwillingness to give anyone any injury.

Which is weird when at the mall she subdues everyone without hurting then, snap cut to them being dropped onto a police car from 50 feet up (still uninjured somehow!)
She does throw at least one of them from one of the armored cars but he’s seen harmlessly rolling along the side of the road. There’s also the taxi driver that they left stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr. Apollo posted:

She does throw at least one of them from one of the armored cars but he’s seen harmlessly rolling along the side of the road. There’s also the taxi driver that they left stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

Well given the length of the chase scene he's within a couple miles of a service station

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

well I made it halfway into WW84 before getting bored.

kinda dumb that Steve Trevor is a shown as a dumb rube marvelling at escalators and underground trains when in the last film he was in London, which had had those things for almost 60 years by the time he showed up.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
We should all be a little bit more like Steve Trevor and appreciate the wonderful things we take for granted rather than needlessly foster resentment about things like not being able to afford healthcare or having children. The truth is beautiful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really don't get the "boring" criticisms. WW84 was many bad things but I sure as gently caress was never bored

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I really don't get the "boring" criticisms. WW84 was many bad things but I sure as gently caress was never bored

teagone posted:

So yeah, just did a quick scrub through, and once the montage of flashback/heroic acts/mall scene ends during the first ~15 minutes, we literally don't get another significant action beat until over an hour later.

I guess if you like 80s schlock and not-Steve acting silly for over an hour, then sure, the film probably wouldn't be boring.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I definitely got bored. There's tons of stuff going on and a lot of it appropriately weird but it's mainly exposition and some scenes are overly long or feel unnecessary. Basically while I dug a lot of stuff on a conceptual level (a dude becoming a wishing stone and extracting payment is very cool) it got repetitive how they painstakingly showed his slow climb up the ladder instead of just skipping right to the high stakes bombastic stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The fact that I *really* enjoyed WW84 and how much goons here hate it has maybe finally convinced me that I actually might just like bad movies? I dunno.

I thought it was pretty awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The film was terrible, but I was entertained by how loving harebrained every element of it was. In a sea of dull Marvel zircons WW84 was a shining diamond of baffling stupidity

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AndyElusive posted:

The fact that I *really* enjoyed WW84 and how much goons here hate it has maybe finally convinced me that I actually might just like bad movies? I dunno.

Based on the near-uniform negative reaction across the web I'm very much expecting to enjoy it (with caveats.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

You like what you like. If the general consensus about a movie is that it's kinda bad but you absolutely adore it, then whatever. That you like WW84 and I don't doesn't AND shouldn't dictate your taste in film tbh.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

josh04 posted:

Based on the near-uniform negative reaction across the web I'm very much expecting to enjoy it (with caveats.)

I get where you’re coming from but honestly it’s just bad. Not flawed but interesting or ambitious but poorly constructed or bad because it dares to go against the prevailing movie making ethos...it’s just poorly constructed, nonsensical, mostly lifeless, too long, and ugly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie is so loving terrible I need to talk about it in six different threads, and twice as many Twitter conversations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A streamer I watch on Twitch has been streaming a lot of Hades as of late. I wish WW84 was the basic premise of that game, but with Diana instead of Zagreus.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Let's not kid ourselves, people: Ww84's reception has a LOT to do with the absolute dearth of other fun things coming out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. That first trailer was pretty kickin rad. I watched it a few times and was looking forward too it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe. That first trailer was pretty kickin rad. I watched it a few times and was looking forward too it.
Yeah, the lightning swinging looked a lot more impressive in that trailer and the Blue Monday cover was sweet.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm making a new OP for 2021, and need suggestions for the thread title.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a straight-up Monkey's Paw situation. "A 1980s superhero movie? Like in Stranger Things? Sign me up!"

And then, blam, Superman III with Richard Pryor. Released in the summer of 1983.

I’d just like to point out that I totally called it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Edward Mass posted:

Comic Book Movies Megathread: Homeward Bound

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’d just like to point out that I totally called it.

Well try and call something else next time

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Well try and call something else next time

SMg absorbed the wishing stone so anything he predicts will come with some dangerous and poorly thought out consequence

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy A. Person posted:

SMg absorbed the wishing stone so anything he predicts will come with some dangerous and poorly thought out consequence

A Problematic Iron Man Movie?!!!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I went back and watched the rest of it because gently caress it what else have I got going on and I will admit the movie did get less boring as the crazy unexplained poo poo just kept piling up.

That has to be one of the most unintelligible villainous plots I've ever seen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edward Mass posted:

Covid book moopies

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whatever your criticism of Wonder Woman, the action is just straight up bad. In particular any time she swings around on the lasso. There's one scene in particular where she saves a kid that is like blatantly obviously just her holding a dummy. All the swinging and the Cheetah character being such a whiny baby towards Diana and Steve Trevor kinda being Gwen Stacey I just felt like the whole thing was a re-hash of Amazing Spider-Man 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whatever your criticism of Wonder Woman, the action is just straight up bad. In particular any time she swings around on the lasso. There's one scene in particular where she saves a kid that is like blatantly obviously just her holding a dummy. All the swinging and the Cheetah character being such a whiny baby towards Diana and Steve Trevor kinda being Gwen Stacey I just felt like the whole thing was a re-hash of Amazing Spider-Man 2

That's funny my kid literally said "Oh she has the same powers as Spider-Man"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Necrothatcher posted:

That has to be one of the most unintelligible villainous plots I've ever seen.
Lol what? The antagonist is literally 80s Excess/Conspicuous Consumption

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Well I hope you set them straight! Wonder Woman is WAY more powerful than that webhead

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This alone exemplifies the failure that WW84 is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blood Boils posted:

Well I hope you set them straight! Wonder Woman is WAY more powerful than that webhead

If Wonder Woman is on our side then how come she keeps destroying security cameras! PRINCE! GET ME MORE PICTURES OF WONDER WOMAN! Don't look at me like that! You know what I mean! Not in a perverted way! I'm a journalist, Prince! Here's the headline! Wonder Woman: Temptress or Harpy!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ruddiger posted:

This movie is so loving terrible I need to talk about it in six different threads, and twice as many Twitter conversations.

Ahh, like CATS.

I'm just downright impressed about how badly and universally it's faceplanted.