Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ahh, like CATS.

I'm just downright impressed about how badly and universally it's faceplanted.

It does make all the please see it in theatres if you can it's an experience that absolutely must be had at a theatre thing even funnier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Infinity War when Dr Strange says "We're in the endgame now" that's a pretty egregious goof. He should have said "We're in the infinity war now". Endgame didn't come out for another year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lord_Magmar posted:

It does make all the please see it in theatres if you can it's an experience that absolutely must be had at a theatre thing even funnier though.

See, that is actually true for CATS, just to take in the full grandeur of its fuckups.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In Infinity War when Dr Strange says "We're in the endgame now" that's a pretty egregious goof. He should have said "We're in the infinity war now". Endgame didn't come out for another year.

The title along made me think 'They had literally a decade to plan this out and it feels like they threw the finale together at the last minute'.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seeing WW84 on the big screen would only make the action even more obviously bad

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Meh - he got Snapped almost immediately after that line (presuming that Thanos went straight from Titan to Wakanda), so for him Endgame came out like sixty seconds later, so I think that's okay.
(edit: just so it's clear, I'm being silly here as well)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, people: Ww84's reception has a LOT to do with the absolute dearth of other fun things coming out.

I wish Boss Level would get actually released so I could rave about it because it's the only fun 2020 movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I thought everyone was exaggerating about WW84. They were not. That is one mess of a movie.

Like, the first half was slow but decent, if a little uneven. But it goes off the rails in the second half. And the last 30 minutes or so is just pants-on-head nuts. Wow.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

thrawn527 posted:

I thought everyone was exaggerating about WW84. They were not. That is one mess of a movie.

Like, the first half was slow but decent, if a little uneven. But it goes off the rails in the second half. And the last 30 minutes or so is just pants-on-head nuts. Wow.

Is it pants-on-head nuts in a fun way, at least? It sounds terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought it was nuts in a fun way. Pedro Pascal is really great and his character just kind of increasingly loses his mind and gets more desperate the more powerful he is

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Agent Rush posted:

Is it pants-on-head nuts in a fun way, at least? It sounds terrible.

Pascal is indeed fun as hell, but the plot at the end makes no drat sense. “Wait, what’s happening? He just, and she just, they’re all just...huh?!” The middle of the movie gets hella racist. And, without getting into spoilers, there are things about the climax that are left unresolved that, due to the bonkers poo poo that just went down, I really felt like should have been addressed. (Major spoiler) Didn’t we just basically go to nuclear war? And the whole world started killing each other? And then some woman told us it was because of a wish (Wonder Woman, but they don’t know her)? And a wall showed up, and then disappeared? People were being rounded up? Groups of people had their own nukes that also disappeared? But, uh...yay, snowball fight I guess, so we’re all just moving on, credits?

It’s a bad movie. I don’t think quite as bad as some people were making it out to be (the performances are great), but the script is a complete mess, and the action is odd.

Pascal and Wiig are fantastic. (Really minor spoiler) There’s one moment where they’re having a lot of fun vamping off of each other, and Gadot basically says, “Alright, that’s enough of that fun” and stops them, which kind of works as a metaphor for the movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 1, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s loving weird and has a lot of questionable decisions. I rather liked the first one too. It’s like they looked at WW villains and realized it wasn’t as deep as Batman’s or Superman’s, so they had no clue what to do with her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heard it described as they really tried to make an old-school colourful happy times 80s throwback superhero movie- and they succeeded, in that what we got was Superman III.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

This movie is so loving terrible I need to talk about it in six different threads, and twice as many Twitter conversations.

Cant stop talking about bad this movie is lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It honestly sounds like it's on par with cd favorite Shazam! But I didn't think that was all that, so by the law of contrarianism I expect to love ww84 lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Blood Boils posted:

It honestly sounds like it's on par with cd favorite Shazam! But I didn't think that was all that, so by the law of contrarianism I expect to love ww84 lol

People keep saying things like this, but you’re wrong. It’s just bad. It’s bad in a way that transcends the usual differences of opinions over comic book movies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shazam! is like the polar opposite of WW84, much smaller in scope with a more straightforward story and villain. If anything I would call WW84 overambitious while Shazam! could have stood to be a little more ambitious in places

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

People keep saying things like this, but you’re wrong. It’s just bad. It’s bad in a way that transcends the usual differences of opinions over comic book movies.

Yeah I was ready to be all contrarian and say, “Whatever, you cynical assholes, it was pretty good.” But it’s a bad movie. I’m not going to say people are dumb for liking it (I’ve seen people saying stuff like this on Twitter). If someone likes it, I’m happy for them. Liking movies is fun. But it’s a bad movie, and I think that’s going to be the majority consensus. It’s a straight up mess, with plot issues, pacing issues, rape issues, and racist issues. (These are not presented here in order of importance.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Shazam, the movie about a kid who turns into an adult who acts nothing like him when he says the word shazam, is a much less stupid movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The only major complaint I would lay at Shazam!'s feet is that the Seven Sins are pretty bland and their influence/goal is too vague. Their function in the movie is to give Mark Strong superpowers to work out his issues, which is fine, but thematically there could have been more to them

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean the ending of WW84 makes no sense. It just kind of ends somehow. We're to believe that the events of the movie had no longlasting repercussions of any kind, which is even more of a hard swallow since BvS exists. They didn't even try to handwave it away as "everyone magically lost their memories :downs:"

Oh yeah and the end credits stinger had me say aloud "gently caress you Patty Jenkins"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 1, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean the ending of WW84 makes no sense. It just kind of ends somehow. We're to believe that the events of the movie had no longlasting repercussions of any kind, which is even more of a hard swallow since BvS exists. They didn't even try to handwave it away as "everyone magically lost their memories :downs:"

Yeah, it’s like I said earlier. They go from nuclear war to happy snowball fights in one scene, and everyone is just fine with it. I don’t think this is a CinemaSins complaint, I was seriously confused. And it didn’t wipe out the events, DC still looked pretty hosed up when Lord found his son (after still having access to the Presidential helicopter somehow?). It was really jarring, like they cut out a scene where they explained what the gently caress just happened.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

But don't reality altering magic spells play a big part of the plot?

The only complaints that I've seen so far that make sense are it's poo poo lib politics, but even then some of the descriptions sound wild and bordering on satire. Like most irl centrists don't say "Trump wasn't so bad! He just needed to believe in himself and spend more time connecting with Baron, then he would have seen the error of selfish hate-mongering and everything would have been ok!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blood Boils posted:

The only complaints that I've seen so far that make sense are it's poo poo lib politics, but even then some of the descriptions sound wild and bordering on satire. Like most irl centrists don't say "Trump wasn't so bad! He just needed to believe in himself and spend more time connecting with Baron, then he would have seen the error of selfish hate-mongering and everything would have been ok!"

This is a case where describing it isn't going to capture how poo poo it is.

Also- I'm not really one to cry rape at what happened in the film, myself. To me that felt like an unfortunate implications thing that the internet carried too far, one of those things that people read too much into and isn't really part of the discussion of the film.

at least I was until this two punch gently caress off punchline came up.

Here's the wind up

https://twitter.com/dustydontshoot/status/1344385822536163331?s=21

https://twitter.com/pattyjenks/status/1344386851453300736?s=21

And there's the hit.

I said this in discord and I stand by it

If you rape someone, then you use a genie to erase everyone's memories of the rape except your own, you still raped someone

And the fact that Patty is 100% on board with this reading of her film is disastrously lovely. Cause never mind, guess Wondy did rape a dude! That was part of the critique of Patty Jenkins being a good director who makes good choices I suppose!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The scenario seems far enough removed from something that could happen in reality that I don't think including it in a film is a problem.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The scenario seems far enough removed from something that could happen in reality that I don't think including it in a film is a problem.

But there are so many other ways they could have written it that wouldn’t have been a problem, so we can point out how weird it is that they chose this way.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m guessing Jenkins and Johns thought “lol what guy would get mad if they found out Gal Gadot had sex with them while they were unconscious?”

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 1, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And the fact that she's agreeing with any reading that regards it as rape publicly is appalling, because now that's the official word on the subject.

Whoops, she accidentally raped someone!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That's a little uncharitable!

As I understand it, Diana had no intention of bringing the original guy back, so it's more like she accidentally killed someone & stole the corpse.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That is a really, really awful way to think about the arts.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I don't really care what Jenkins was aiming for, within the story the problematic behavior reads like characterization to me. It's not like Diana didn't have questionable ethics in BvS and WW, she's kinda self centred for all her good intentions.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

I don't really care what Jenkins was aiming for, within the story the problematic behavior reads like characterization to me. It's not like Diana didn't have questionable ethics in BvS and WW, she's kinda self centred for all her good intentions.

you should really watch this movie

it kinda has to be seen to be believed

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

If problematic behavior is meant to be characterization, it's usually resolved or at least addressed in some way. I haven't seen the movie, but from what I've read so far this doesn't really seem to be the case here. Like, the way it sounds her selfishness in WW84 doesn't foreshadow how she nearly flees Metropolis at the end of BvS. So using that as a destination for WW that 84 was just one of many stops doesn't work.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Blood Boils posted:

You should really just watch the movie instead of trying to understand it based on what people on the internet say about and then passing it through a “I think people on the internet are generally wrong therefore the opposite is true” filter.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

To be fair, people on the Internet are generally wrong.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Would it be dickish to suggest that you shouldn't participate in a discussion of a movie you haven't seen?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Would it be dickish to suggest that you shouldn't participate in a discussion of a movie you haven't seen?

About as dickish as suggesting to take the discussion to the appropriate thread.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

you should really watch this movie

it kinda has to be seen to be believed

I definitely will, just haven't found the time yet!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

To be fair, people on the Internet are generally wrong.

This has been my experience. And no, I don't exclude myself from that

I wouldn't take it personally, but I also don't see a problem with speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m guessing Jenkins and Johns thought “lol what guy would get mad if they found out Gal Gadot had sex with them while they were unconscious?”

Well, as a guy, I know I would be mad - if for no other reason than if she having sex with me, I'd really want to be awake and aware enough to enjoy it.

I haven't seen the movie and it's irritating me because I have Hulu with the HBOMax add-on and for some reason the drat thing never comes up.