Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Not much love for First Man annoys me. It’s probably the best biographical movie in recent memory. I mean, I have a Saturn V built in LEGO that’s over a meter tall in my living room so clearly I’m a bit biased to the subject matter but come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

lol did any of you seriously think Toni Collette was gonna get nominated? Besides, Yalitza Aparicio deserves the award (Glenn Close will win cause she's "due")

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean yeah the movie was very well reviewed. it's a total joke that it wasn't nominated for anything. (and won't you be my neighbor? not being nominated for documentary is awful.)

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s the weirdest thing, this was in no way shape or form a bad year for movies, but this is the worst Oscars list in years. In a year with You Were Never Really Here, Three Identical Strangers, Sorry to Bother You, They Shall Not Grow Old, and Blindspotting, we get Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Mary Poppins Returns?

And that’s leaving out the poo poo the Academy would never reward, like Mandy and Suspiria.

I think it's clear that after the whole 'Best Popular Film' category or whatever it was they tried and failed to introduce to this year's show, they just decided to basically put them into the Best Picture category anyways, with obvious poo poo like Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther in there. Sorry to Bother You would have been a pretty good replacement for Black Panther, since everyone knows why BP is there at all, and it would have actually been a good film at that. But now I really hope Bohemian Rhapsody wins, so everyone can continue being awkward around the fact that hey, where's Bryan Singer?!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm very happy a non-European foreign language film is squeezing into the Best Picture nominations. But honestly the slate is so weak this year that they should have found space for Shoplifters and Burning.

I don't agree at all with Black Klansman and Black Panther and of course Bohemian Rhapsody. What a clusterfuck. This is surely the worst Best Picture slate in the past decade.

e: And Vice. fuckin vice

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Whatever, if A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are gonna be nominated I have no issue with Black Panther being there. It certainly deserves the production design nom.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

not trolled not crying posted:

But now I really hope Bohemian Rhapsody wins, so everyone can continue being awkward around the fact that hey, where's Bryan Singer?!

Yeah gently caress it I agree. This is such a lovely year I want full accelerationism.

I just realized: no Thom Yorke for best original score or song, either. Lol.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

First Reformed needed much more categories and they're cowards for not recognizing Toni Collette.
Otherwise, I'm good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm not angry about the Black Panther nomination for a few reasons:

1. As the second highest grossing film of the year, and being very well reviewed, it's one of the better entries for the superhero genre and it also matches mass audience taste. Given the Oscars have long faced accusations of irrelevancy and elitism, a Black Panther Best Picture nod is far from the worst way of reaching across the aisle.
2. As a case for black representation in mainstream cinema, regardless of issues with the depiction of the CIA and all that, it nevertheless is incredibly important for black audiences and the movie resonates for that reason.
3. Like it or not, we are in a period where movies are losing their cultural capital. I think the rise of mega-budget serialization with the Marvel franchise may be equal parts symptom and cause, but the internet is changing the way we interact with media and Event Movies are becoming rarer. Black Panther, like Get Out was last year, was a true event movie that made an impact with people in ways that The Favourite or even Roma haven't.
4. It wasn't bad and there's worse poo poo on this list to be angry about.

Reasons against Black Panther being nominated

1. lol Disney is astroturfing the gently caress out of this and they're on their way to a near complete monopoly of all media. gently caress them

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
what's wrong with a star is born? Great songs, great acting, great sound...could have stood to have less comic relief Andrew Dice Clay but by and large it's a strong pick

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As a (non-American) Asian person I'm also really glad Crazy Rich Asians isn't nominated because it's a trashy film that's a testament to how our cultural moment is obligating a certain level of critical blindness.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

As usual, the actual best movies of the year (First Reformed, Buster Scruggs) are nominated for Best Screenplay rather than Best Picture.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I dunno if anyone here really thought Toni Collette might be nominated for Hereditary, but she was never in the running. Elsie Fisher for Eighth Grade would have gotten in before her. It's just like people thinking Mandy ever stood a chance at a Best Original Score nomination, none of the voters would have even watched the movie to get it close to a nomination. Or people in GenChat were talking about the lack of Sorry to Bother You. Like, the only category that movie had a chance for was Best Original Song and even that was a longshot.

Movies that could have realistically been nominated for Best Picture that were snubbed:

- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
- If Beale Street Could Talk (legit surprised by this one)
- Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- Crazy Rich Asians
- First Man
- First Reformed

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, there was the grass roots campaign to give Sorry To Bother You a nom for Best Original Screenplay, which seems more than fair. Hell, even adapted screenplay, since it's based off of an album.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Can anyone elaborate why Buster Scruggs is considered an adapted screenplay? Is it because the titular story was a short film script they wrote before the rest of the film?

All Gold Country is a Jack London story, The Gal who Got Rattled is based off of Stewart White's The Girl Who Got Rattled (albeit more loosely), and I'm pretty sure Meal Ticket is based off a short story as well, though I don't recall whose.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

All we can pray for now is a Roma sweep.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pospysyl posted:

All Gold Country is a Jack London story, The Gl who Got Rattled is based off of Stewart White's The Girl Who Got Rattled by Stewart White (albeit more loosely), and I'm pretty sure Meal Ticket is based off a short story as well, though I don't recall whose.

I knew about All Gold Country, but I didn't know about the others. Thanks for elaborating.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

They nominated enough "urban" movies to feel good already.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well that sure is a list of some movies that were released in 2018

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The trick to enjoying the Oscars is to embrace the fact that their primary consumer-facing function is for gambling and their primary industry function is marketing and networking.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My current workplace is only five people and I don't think any of them care enough about movies to do a pool :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wow, Sandy Powell gets two Costume Design noms, one for The Favourite and the other for Mary Poppins.

And to be honest

I'm leaning towards Mary Poppins.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Feels like some weird noms this year! Like, wow, so much Blackkklansman all of a sudden. I know it hadn't been ignored before, but that's a lot of it right at the end! I guess "okay Spike" still holds some weight when it comes to the Oscars.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think Cuaron has Best Director all tied up, but I wouldn't be mad if Spike got a legacy win. I really loved BlacKkKlansman, though I know other people disagree.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

I think Cuaron has Best Director all tied up, but I wouldn't be mad if Spike got a legacy win. I really loved BlacKkKlansman, though I know other people disagree.

I'm surprised people didn't like that movie; I thought it was one of the better Spike Lee films.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BigglesSWE posted:

Not much love for First Man annoys me. It’s probably the best biographical movie in recent memory. I mean, I have a Saturn V built in LEGO that’s over a meter tall in my living room so clearly I’m a bit biased to the subject matter but come on!

First Man not getting a nomination for Best Score is insane.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm surprised people didn't like that movie; I thought it was one of the better Spike Lee films.

Yeah same. I understand but disagree with the "it's pro-cop" analysis. I think it's getting a much more complicated relationship between authority, white supremacy, and oppression.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

:siren: Goon Vote is LIVE :siren:

http://crucialweb.net/oscars sign up and place your votes. Don't have to do all at once, every thing is editable until the night before the actual results come in then it all locks down. Leaderboard refreshes every 30 minutes right now as it's not really needed, but you can see how other people here voted if you want.

JOIN THE SA GROUP: key is 'ihavestairs'

(There's a thread here if you want to ask any questions or have issues and don't want to bog this one down with nerd crap)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

:siren: Goon Vote is LIVE :siren:

http://crucialweb.net/oscars sign up and place your votes. Don't have to do all at once, every thing is editable until the night before the actual results come in then it all locks down. Leaderboard refreshes every 30 minutes right now as it's not really needed, but you can see how other people here voted if you want.

JOIN THE SA GROUP: key is 'ihavestairs'

(There's a thread here if you want to ask any questions or have issues and don't want to bog this one down with nerd crap)

Question, are we supposed to aim to predict the winners or what for what we think deserves to win?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://twitter.com/bootsriley/status/1087770116408758272?s=21

Per Boots Riley, Sorry To Bother You didn’t have an Oscar campaign.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Honestly think Lionsgate dropped the ball not pushing Blindspotting. That movie had way better Oscar prospects than Sorry to Bother You but there was no campaign at all that I was aware of.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TrixRabbi posted:

Question, are we supposed to aim to predict the winners or what for what we think deserves to win?

I kinda designed it with the 'what the people think deserves to win' in mind, to see what a group outside the Academy thinks.

The prediction element is just kind of an addon, there's no real glory to being able to predict the academy voters imo but always interesting to see.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I kinda designed it with the 'what the people think deserves to win' in mind, to see what a group outside the Academy thinks.

The prediction element is just kind of an addon, there's no real glory to being able to predict the academy voters imo but always interesting to see.

Ah, alright cool.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Also worth noting a complete lack of noms for female-led films after all the backslapping from last year

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Also worth noting a complete lack of noms for female-led films after all the backslapping from last year

The Favourite has a lot of nominations

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There's a movie called "The Wife" with some nominations, what more could you want???

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Favourite has a lot of nominations

I think he meant in terms of female directors? Can You Ever Forgive Me? was a gimme and they let is hang with just some acting nods it won't win and a screenplay nod it probably won't win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TrixRabbi posted:

I dunno if anyone here really thought Toni Collette might be nominated for Hereditary, but she was never in the running. Elsie Fisher for Eighth Grade would have gotten in before her. It's just like people thinking Mandy ever stood a chance at a Best Original Score nomination, none of the voters would have even watched the movie to get it close to a nomination. Or people in GenChat were talking about the lack of Sorry to Bother You. Like, the only category that movie had a chance for was Best Original Song and even that was a longshot.

Movies that could have realistically been nominated for Best Picture that were snubbed:

- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
- Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- Crazy Rich Asians
- First Man
- First Reformed

Very much agree about Buster being snubbed. My other biggest snub was Widows. Not even 1 nomination...

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm not angry about the Black Panther nomination for a few reasons:

1. As the second highest grossing film of the year, and being very well reviewed, it's one of the better entries for the superhero genre and it also matches mass audience taste. Given the Oscars have long faced accusations of irrelevancy and elitism, a Black Panther Best Picture nod is far from the worst way of reaching across the aisle.
2. As a case for black representation in mainstream cinema, regardless of issues with the depiction of the CIA and all that, it nevertheless is incredibly important for black audiences and the movie resonates for that reason.
3. Like it or not, we are in a period where movies are losing their cultural capital. I think the rise of mega-budget serialization with the Marvel franchise may be equal parts symptom and cause, but the internet is changing the way we interact with media and Event Movies are becoming rarer. Black Panther, like Get Out was last year, was a true event movie that made an impact with people in ways that The Favourite or even Roma haven't.
4. It wasn't bad and there's worse poo poo on this list to be angry about.

Reasons against Black Panther being nominated

1. lol Disney is astroturfing the gently caress out of this and they're on their way to a near complete monopoly of all media. gently caress them

2. It means the better Marvel movie, Doctor Strange got snubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mamkute posted:

2. It means the better Marvel movie, Doctor Strange got snubbed.

Doctor Strange was 2016?